“Comfortable B&B with Friendly Hosts”
Review of Hydeaway House

Hydeaway House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Egham
Hydeaway House
Ranked #6 of 7 Egham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My room was very comfortable, although the wash basin in the bathroom was rather small and the plug was of no use, as water went down the bowl quicker than I could fill it! Breakfast was very satisfying although i'm not too keen on having to make my own toast, which necessitates getting up every so often and when the dining room is full, it's difficult to get past other guests to reach the toaster. Small niggles apart, I would recommend this B&B, especially for the friendly hosts.
I also feel that £55 for one night was excessive........particular for a single person.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I spend 2-3 nights a week away at work during the week and recently stayed at Hydaway House. The room was lovely and comfortable and the shower was excellent. Brenda makes you feel at home. I would recommend staying here to anyone

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I recently stayed here with my husband and was very happy with what I saw at the start. The room was beautiful and Brenda was really friendly.

However, as time went on we were given a long list of house rules which made me feel uncomfortable. We did not get an explanation of how the shower worked so in the middle of the night we had to figure out that you had to pull a string to put it on.

In regards, to the bathroom it was very dirty and there were hairs in the shower and the bin had not been emptied out prior to our arrival. Moreover, during the night we could hear everything as there is very bad isolation and the floors are creaky.

Then when it came to breakfast we were only offered one glass of orange juice and the jug of juice was taken away from us which was very odd. In addition, we were not offered cold breakfast when told that we we're leaving early.

Furthermore, we were told to vacate our room from 10 am to 1pm so you can dream on if you want a lie in. My advice would be to avoid coming here for sure!

Room Tip: Just don't stay here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Charlie F
Surreymagic, Manager at Hydeaway House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

We were sorry to hear that our guests were not happy with their accommodation, but feel that they do not understand the concept of an English B & B. With regards to the long list of rules, there was a short list of information e.g break fast time 7-9 am, check out 10 am and we lock our doors at 1 am. The only rules are no smoking, a legal requirement, and no access to our private accommodation. We ask our gusts to vacate their rooms between 10 and 1 pm to allow us to clean. Most B & B's ask you to vacate most of the day and don't allow you back before 5 pm. They also mention noise in the middle of the night, this was probably due to the fact that by their own admission that they were taking a shower in the middle of the night. The shared bathroom was cleaned prior to their arrival including the disposal of all rubbish in the bin, but another guest had checked in prior to them and had consequently used before them. The piece of "string" they refer to is an isolation cord that was fitted by a qualified electrician and is required by law for our gusts safety. This couple requested a check out time prior to breakfast at 7 am, at no time was I asked for a cold breakfast, but had I known I would have been more than happy to oblige. We are not a hotel and we feel for £27.50 per person to include a full English breakfast is good value for money and most of our previous reviews have been complimentary.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed at this B&B after a friend recommended it. My fiance had a conference at the Royal Holloway University and it was within walking distance. Brenda and Ben are really great and made us feel right at home. The king room was very spacious and super comfortable. Brenda makes a delicious traditional English breakfast! The B&B is within walking distance to restaurants, pubs, and the train station. Ben was even kind enough to give my fiance a ride one morning to the University due to rain. We had a great stay and hope to return again. I would definitely recommend this B&B to others and hope to return again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank g8torjen
Reviewed 10 February 2013

I had to stay in Egham for one night. I needed a place short notice and Hydaway House was really accommodating, offering me a double room for the price of a single as its February and a Sunday!.

So, £50 and your taken care of; lovely warm and cosy bedroom, en suite (toilet is rather high though), big comfy double bed and all appliances necessary for comfort (kettle with T/C, plugs, TV)

The ONLY negatives: no iron :( sucks because I have an interview, no take-out food allowed in the room so you have to go find a local place. I was told on a Sunday to go to the Barley Mow pub, but unfortunately Ben was a little off the mark and it didnt sell food after 5pm. There are a done of reasonable restaurants though.
Finally nowhere to leave bags after 10am, you can't leave them there and I had to take mine to the interview, which kind of sucked as well.

Overall: 9/10. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Hideaway house really is the most perfect home away from home. Brenda and Ben are wonderful. They are kind, helpful and treat you like part of the family! The rooms are beautiful- so much attention to detail! The prices of the rooms are very reasonable and the breakfasts are fantastic! I almost wish I didn't have to leave! Thank you so much Brenda and Ben. I recommend this B & B to anyone who needs a place to stay in the Englefield green/ egham area!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Me and my wife stayed in Hydeaway House for 5 nights before we start our degree in Royal Holloway. It's very near to the campus, and is a very beautiful house. Ben and Brenda is a very nice and welcoming warm host, it feels like a family to us. The breakfast was also nice.

Definitely a bed and breakfast that we will miss and come back someday.

Room Tip: the largest king sized room has a trouble with the water system on the ensuite bathroom. But it has...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple