“Good food, service a bit slow!”
Review of Loch Fyne - Egham

Loch Fyne - Egham
Ranked #15 of 54 Restaurants in Egham
Price range: US$42 - US$89
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was in a group of 19 so it took a while to get round everybody and then to serve the food. The food quality was good when it came and overall it wasn't too expensive. Good choice of fish available as well as some meat options for those not wanting fish. The kids also had a good choice and this was made in restaurant also.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I would like to reply to the scathing comment made by a phill who I Olly, served recently at Lock Fyne in Egham.

I am sure that at some point one of the people that read this will actually recognise me, as a long standing member of the service industry in a number of establishments within the Egham area, furthermore I'm positive that anyone who does recognise me would find these scathing allegations nothing short of laughable. Oh and to add for the record Phil also took another two hours out of his life to write to the head office and avail of the feedback card that I gave him having signed my name on it in the confidence that he was satisfied with his dining experience, please anyone reading this ask yourself this: if I had behaved in such a manner why on earth would I go to such an extent to do this?

I am normally of the opinion that all feedback is good feedback, positive and negative alike, however in this particular case, I would guess that this is nothing more than a case of someone who is very unhappy with their life and feels the need for whatever reason to try to upset someone else's, it is unfortunate that phil did not make his feelings clear at the time, as if the service was as diabolical as this so called review states, surely phil would have taken one of the ample opportunities that were available to make his feelings clear to either a manager or myself, additionally throughout the service that I provided this gentleman, he was all smiles and thank you's, (his partner seemed to take a real shine to me as well) we even, over the bill had what I thought was a pleasant conversation about phil and his partners job in the biochemical industry and how he used to work in restaurants before, anyone so outraged by the treatment that is described here surely would have found that difficult.
I appreciate the fact that he took the time to notice the pressure I was under (as most customers do) but would like to point out that there is a management team at hand anytime you are in the restaurant that are trained to deal with any alleged issues such as these.

This is a grossly inaccurate and spiteful so called review and just to give one example of the inaccuracy, how on earth (and please try to imagine this) could a waiter hint at tipping THROUGHOUT an entire meal, unless of course he had been taking some personal lessons from Darren Brown in suggestive cognitive programming?

Ultimately I would like to thank you phill as your so called review has finally made me realise that I am above taking criticism as a part time waiter from small snake like people who in all honesty are not fit to polish my shoes, and on the basis of this have resigned, and had I not done so I wouldn't have been offered a once in a life time opportunity to actually do some traveling while earning money.

Now I would normally at this point say you should give lock fyne another chance as the staff are a wonderful group of people and it is in my opinion (not necessarily as qualified a one as yours as you certainly appear to be someone who has done their fair share of eating out) the most consistent restaurant in and around egham, However I am genuinely concerned for the well being and future of anyone that might have the misfortune of rubbing you up the wrong way, as unfortunately in your case your opinion as a customer does hold some weight.
But please in future, if you take a personal disliking to a member of staff for whatever reason, take the time to perhaps speak to a manager as soon as one is available and ask to be moved to another table or section stating your reasons as it is likely again in your case that 49 times out of 50 you will be the only person that has an issue with them, if that member of staff is as rude and arrogant as you say I was you can rest assure that they wont last more than a few weeks there anyway. With regard to anyone who does have the unfortunate experience of serving you while under pressure, please think about the fact that they might be full time and reliant on their income, a comment like this could seriously damage their credibility as a professional and effect their ability to work in the area in the future.

Additionally on a friendly note I've noticed this sort of spiteful passive aggressive behavior before and in my experience it has been caused by depression, my best advice for this is to perhaps take a few regular trips to the gym.

Kind Regards,

4  Thank Inter-concept I
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I eat here fairly regularly, and have always received great food and service. Our most recent visit was no exception.
I really appreciate that they are very accommodating, and allow starters as a main, (my appetite is much smaller than my husband's).
We were served by Peter, who was very knowledgeable about both the menu and the specials, as well as being very friendly and approachable.
Great visit once again.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Firstly I would like to add that normally we get very good food at this restaurant and service is usually very good, especially with Fabiola (our usual waitress). As such I would normally give the establishment 4/5 marks.

However while I don't usually write reviews on here I thought the rather rude server we had today prompted such a review. Our server today was called 'Olly' Oliver - at first a pleasant Irish chap who apparently works part time.

Service seemed slower than normal, which was odd since the restaurant wasn't particularly busy (10 tables with at least 4 waiters/waitresses). It took 15 minutes to get our food/drink order in.

Very soon after meeting our server It became very clear to us that he was dropping hints about leaving a tip during our meal. While the meal was up to the normal standard - upon paying for the meal I asked to pay a gratuity on my card as I had no cash. Normally I leave fairly good tips. (above 25% of the meal price).

Olly then proceeded to berade myself and my partner about leaving a tip on the card, mentioning that I should leave cash instead since he would get all of this tip and resented the fact that the rest of his team would share this tip. Is it our fault he works part time? I know times are hard but pressuring diners for tips is unacceptable. This sort of behavior shouldn't be allowed in hospitality. The overall experience at the end actually made myself and my partner incredibly uncomfortable, since he wasn't particularly quiet about his feelings.

While I appreciate that Olly brought my food out of the kitchen and onto the table, I didn't particularly feel he did an outstanding job nor did he make us feel particularly welcome. Just 'another' cover for him.

I feel service like this places a very negative view on the restaurant and sadly will make me think twice about frequenting Loch Fyne Egham again. Instead choosing to dine at the Ascot branch.

I really do hope management will read this review and respond, because as mentioned in the first paragraph we normally have very good service at this restaurant, sadly spoiled by an arrogant waiter.

2  Thank Phil W
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Loch Fyne is a franchise and therefore restaurants tend to vary in terms of quality, service and cleanliness.
It's definitely worth looking at the set menu's before looking at the main menu which can be expensive, depending on what you choose.
Today there were two set menu's.The first one we were given was very limited in the first place but then the waiter mentioned that they'd sold out of quite a few dishes on this menu. We asked for another set menu where it's just under ten pounds for two courses or just under thirteen for three. Our smoked mackerel pâté was delicious and obviously made in the kitchens, not shop bought. My husband has the risotto and I had the Angus burger. I don't like bacon too much so asked for extra cheese instead which wasn't a problem. My twice cooked chips almost melt in your mouth and not greasy at all. Food presentation is excellent. We also decided to be devils and have the puddings. My husband had creme brûlée, despite the declaring he was too full earlier! He really enjoyed it. I ordered the rhubarb cheesecake. Sounds weird, but in fact I have to say its one of the best puddings I've had in ages. Both the brûlée and the cheesecake were again not mass produced. The creme brûlée came in a glass pot which makes me think these are also made in the kitchen.
For two three course meals and drinks we paid under £30, including tip, which I thought was very reasonable these days. Service was also excellent. It is well worth asking for a Loch Fyne card as you can then get a discount.
There is a disabled toilet here, but I didn't spot any disabled bays in the small car park, unless someone was parked over them. Access in a wheelchair is excellent.