“Stormy lunch saved by great good, most excellent service”

The Estate Grill at Great Fosters
Ranked #3 of 52 Restaurants in Egham
Price range: US$51 - US$83
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Estate Grill is our contemporary restaurant, which is a reflection of our commitment to providing locally sourced, simple dishes. Executive Chef, Marc Hardiman, has a straightforward and honest approach to food and enjoys experiencing new dining concepts, both in Europe and the UK. With this in mind, along with the current trend for dining to become more relaxed and casual, he has created an innovative menu of smaller plates, allowing guests to order a variety of dishes brought to the table to eat informally, in an almost "grazing" style. Choose as few or as many as you like and they'll be served by both restaurant staff and even one of our chefs. The menu still offers more classic dishes too, mainly cooked on our Josper grill, so if you fancy a traditional main course then the choice is yours! The aim is to offer our diners a more flexible approach to eating out whilst still using the finest ingredients, many of which are grown on our estate and freshly picked each day. Our extensive kitchen garden and glasshouse supply us with a variety of seasonal herbs, fruits, salad leaves and vegetables.
Hong Kong
“Stormy lunch saved by great good, most excellent service”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Popped along with a friend to tour the gardens and grab lunch, but just as we sat down the dark clouds gathered! Luckily the food saved the day! Great list of original dishes excellently prepared and whisked to our table under an umbrella as we sheltered from the rain under a canopied table and enjoyed the garden views. Traditional and stylish yet fulfilling food with a good wine menu to boot.

GreatFosters1931, General Manager at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your lovey comments. I'm so pleased that it decided to rain just as you sat down but pleased that you still managed to enjoy your lunch and tour of the gardens. We will try and arrange some sunshine for your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reading, United Kingdom
“I wouldn't say it was 'grilled'”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Was looking forward to a perfectly grilled piece of meat with no fancy bits. Rustic style so the produce is highlighted. This was not to be! To much fancy stuff to justify the price but not enhance the dish. Poor, slow & stuck up service.

Visited April 2014
GreatFosters1931, General Manager at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
I’m very sorry that you did not enjoy your visit to The Estate Grill back in April. We have just employed a new Head Chef, Restaurant Manager and Assistant Restaurant Manager and I am extremely confident that you will see a marked improvement in both the food and service should you decide to visit again.
“High expectations”
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Just come back from great fosters. We dined in the estate grill. This place is lovely the decor is beautiful as are the gardens. We came to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary with my parents. My expectations were high! The food was great quality but we we're let down hugely by the starter. I asked our helpful waitress would she recommend the asparagus starter or the mussel starter, she asked how hungry I was (strange question I'm here to have dinner) so I said very hungry & she recommended the mussels. So the mussels arrive and I kid you not there are 8 mussels in my bowl, now I know this is a classy place & its quality of quantity but for a £10 starter 8 mussels is taking the Mickey I dread to think what I would if gotten if I'd said I wasn't hungry! I went to the front of the restaurant to double check this and was told this was a normal amount. So that's £1.25 a mussel. I'm no Scrooge but that is just taking advantage of customers. My poor husband was dumbstruck. In their defence the waitress asked if I would like another portion but I declined as everyone else had finished their starters. The person in charge did then say they would do something special for us instead. Which turned out to be a board with 2 tiny muffins which said happy anniversary. Sweet but alas the dye was cast! Mains were good dad had the rib eye steak id poss say the best value for money, ordered a £4 side order of mushrooms which turned out to be 6 button mushrooms on a skewer (def one person dish) triple cooked chips were ok not the best I've had. The desserts if you have a sweet tooth are very rich I had the salted banana macaroon very odd but def a one off experience, my husband & mother had a chocolate mousse which apparently was good but super rich. We did share a bottle of wine which was very nice & the bill came to £209 which I thought for the location, & service was good. I just feel a bit let down by portion size here, it is the estate grill if I wanted tasting portions I'd of gone into the Tudor room next door. However it is a special place to take someone but perhaps lunch or Sunday dinner. I will try to upload some pics!

Ocala, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Back in time to a beautiful Estate”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We enjoyed everything about the Estate, the grounds are beautiful, we had drinks before dinner , and when our table was ready we were seated in a beautiful room with exposed beams.
The service was impeccable and the food we ordered exceptional.

Visited May 2014
GreatFosters1931, General Manager at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for posting a review on your recent visit to The Estate Grill for dinner.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your evening with us and hope that you will come and visit us again when you are next in the UK.
New York City, New York
“A great fosters bonus”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Estate Griil was a real plus during my foursome's stay at Great Fosters. We ate there twice during our visit. A very nice menu, well cooked food, beautifully presented, well done wine list, terrific service. So nice to find a worthwhile restaurant in the hotel. Kudos!
Michael F

• Visited June 2014
GreatFosters1931, General Manager at The Estate Grill at Great Fosters, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed dinner in The Estate Grill during your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel.