“Best in Town” 4 of 5 bubbles

The George Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Dereham
“Best in Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2013

Had a great meal on a Saturday night without booking, although clearly the facities were busy we were more than happy to sit in the spacious and uncrowded bar, the level of professional service was extraordinary. Spotting that we were trying view the 'specials board' the waitress even took the time to come over and explain what was available and how it was cooked etc..........brilliant.
We only only had main course and sweet which was delivered quicker than expected all to a high standard.
A good mix of clientele made the whole atmosphere very relaxing and comfortable. The decor and finish is modern yet tranquil, I loved the various signwriten mottos on the beams, a great personal touch, mainly appealing to wine and woman lovers!
Never written a review before but thought I would as it is great to see a team clearly committed to making customers feel valued and welcomed, we must get organised to return soon and see if we can sit in the restaurant to compare.
S&J

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Simon G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2013

The George closed down at Xmas 2011 but is now in business again. The bar and restaurant present a pleasant atmosphere but there are no hotel rooms available yet (there may be some rooms available as I write as I know that it is intended to open up the hotal side of the bisiness as soon as possible.)
To bring you up to date: I had a party for 15 guests on Sunday 30 December 2012 in the conservatory and a good time was had by all. The service was a little slow to start with but the staff soon got into their stride and all was well.
The food was excellent. I had discussed the menu with the manager, Steve, before the event.
I can thoroughly recomment this place now. In fact I,with friends, pop in for lunch and dinner pretty regularly.
We like the conservatory area as it is light and airey, and warm.
Please disregard the dated reviews as they are completely wrong.
Darrell Clarke
This is not a fake review!!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Darrell C
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Had a great lunch today from the 2 course special menu.
Wonderful service, superb food and the newly refurbished restaraunt is stylish.
Grab a table, order a pint of well kept ale, order your food and ENJOY!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 186342Paul
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012

My partner and I enjoyed our Christmas Eve treat to ourselves, dining in the restaurant at The George in Dereham.
The atmosphere, food and service were excellent. A great start to Christmas. Thank You.
It's my birthday in January and I know exactly where I want to eat on my special day! We will be booking our table very soon.
Well done to everyone at The George for a job well done.
Tracey & Nigel Shed

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Norwich, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We headed to The George for an impromptu Friday evening supper and we were very plesantly surprised. A lovely warm welcome and a host on the door to greet and seat us. The young wait staff were all friendly and very professional. It makes a change to be greeted with a sir/madam these days. There was a lovely warm welcoming atmosphere. We chose to sit in the bar area however the candlelit restaurant looked very inviting. What's great is that the same menu runs through the different areas so you get to choose the area that works best for you. The menu was simple and not overly complicated - good old fashioned favourites with a few twists and a plethora of local produce. We had some bread and oil to share to start - a decent portion of bread, butter and oils came on a slate slab and all for £1.50 - fantastic. The risotto special and the local cheese tartlet were both fab and equally all the food coming out of the kitchen looked delicious with great presentation. What a lovely change to have good old fashioned service and lovely crisp cotton napkins. We will be back! Well done to The George.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Sharon L, Public Relations Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Hello...

I am responding to thank you so much for your review, very pleasant reading indeed...
We are so glad that you enjoyed your evening, and that you may hopefully visit us again in the near future.

Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

We wanted a nice Sunday roast and that is exactly what we got. Three of us went for the Beef and trimmings.... and what trimmings. You have never seen such an array - roast spuds, new potatoes, chipolata, mounds of yorkshire pudding, roast parsnips; two generous, soft and delicious slices of beef and a medley of vegetables to die for - purple cauliflower, carrots, peas, sprouting broccolli, swede.... and a delicious gravy. And all for £8.95! They offer one course for £8.95, two for £11.95 and three for £14.95. The menu had 5 choices for each course and I would defy anyone not to find at least one of each course that they would want. The restaurant is beautifully decorated; the staff are all exceptionally nice and when I asked for Veg with no butter on a full selection appeared very quickly and with very good grace. Thank you. My other half always manages to 'squeeze in' a pud but he was defeated as were we all. My only critiscism is that at that price can they stay open for ever?! We will definitely go back and try some more things on the menu. Thank you for a perfect Sunday lunch.... NB just an aside - they are planning to re-open the rooms in the hotel in early 2013 and I am sure they will have the same attention to detail there.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ruthndave
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

I have just returned from a visit to the George. Will never be returning again! Over priced! £8.95 for a bowl of pasta which was not very appetising. However, we decided to have a dessert, BIG mistake! Extremely poor quality, no one could eat these, Creme brulee, sticky toffee pudding and crumble with cold custard which cost £4.25. This was a birthday treat with my friends, what a let down.We were going to go to an Indian restaurant what a pity we didn't. I have used the George in the past and the food was always excellent,the staff extremely friendly and attentive - not anymore, a huge disappointment on all counts, what a shame!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Skyenomore1314
Sharon L, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, 3 August 2012
Hi Reviewer,

I am Steve the manager at the George,
I at a bit of a loss with some of your comments,but welcome any constructive comments that may help me progress this business. So if u feel you could help me in any way please call me on 01362 820842

Regards Steve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dereham
The Romany Rye Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,058 reviews
Glendower House
Glendower House
#8 of 8 in Dereham

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!