“Support Heritage Railway”

Mid-Norfolk Railway
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Dereham
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mid-Norfolk Railway runs Heritage Steam and Diesel train services from the market town of Dereham to Wymondham in Norfolk, just outside Norwich. It is run entirely by volunteers, and operates a number of Special Events throughout the year.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My colleague and I finally visited MNR again after our 2014 visit (Steam Gala Special..disappointed with pricing) and on arrival I showed them my email regarding their reply back then, to which they gave me a complimentary voucher to use on my train journey today Wednesday 22nd.(Thank you Derek Orr for your email).
We arrived at 9.50 (after 3 1/2 hrs drive) and had time for breakfast before the 10.30 train, the young girl could not be more helpful than walking over the road to get brown bread for our egg on toast. Excellent scrambled egg on two slices of toast plus a mug of tea £3.75.
The journey of approx 11 miles is scenic and lasts two hours for return .The volunteers were all helpful and friendly and we wish them continued success and hope all people realise that without their support we may not have our Heritage railways

All reviews
"enjoyable trip"
"value for money"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Generous car park, friendly staff and the track is about 15 miles long, Carriages interior could do with a deep clean/spruce up. Lots of country side vistas.

1  Thank Steve J
Reviewed 15 August 2018

Visited the MNR for the first. Was very impressed by the facilities available at the line. As the longest heritage line in East Anglia, at 10 miles long, it is a wonderfully relaxing experience to travel through the Norfolk countryside. I look forward to seeing the further developments at this site.

Reviewed 9 August 2018 via mobile

Thoroughly enjoyed our time on the railway.
What an excellent team of people they have there.
They all took the time to explain everything to my 7 year old.
Well done all involved carry on the good work.

See more reviews
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Two adults and two boys under 10 visited. First time for us all. It was a wartime experience weekend which was pretty good, with a lot of very enthusiastic volunteers. People dressed the part of 1940s army, navy and air force, and other auxiliaries and civilians. Lots of vehicles and other stuff on display. Impressed by all of that. However, the railway itself is not so impressive, although you have to give credit where due. There are many volunteers and money must be limited, so I shouldn't be too critical of what has to be a bit of a shoestring operation. Two 0-6-0 tank locos in steam. Coaching stock all fairly modern, with a lot just sitting in ridings, rusting away. Not much freight stock around to be seen. Family ticket £34 for the day. Took ride to Wymondham. No refreshments on train and nothing at Wymondham either. Very much a makeshift station at Wymondham. Train ride about 45 minutes each way so value pretty good, but facilities away from Dereham basically non-existent. Staff exemplary! Would I visit again? I'd have to think about that. At least I've finally got there.