“DO NOT BOOK!!!! Absolute dive!”
Review of Hill House Hotel

Hill House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dereham
London, United Kingdom
“DO NOT BOOK!!!! Absolute dive!”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I would not recommend anyone booking here! I made the mistake thinking that it was cheap, so value for money but the pictures are misleading and nothing like the actual accommodation!
There is no staff around, you just get a code emailed to you to get in your room!
I booked 5a and the room stunk of smoke and the window didn't close properly. Everything felt damp. The shared bathroom was unclean and only had one bath and toilet for the 3 rooms to share!
The room is unrefundable from booking for a reason! We had to book another hotel!
DO NOT BOOK!!!

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank 625Tashie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Knebworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I made the mistake of booking a room here for a month. There were used sheets and towels on the bed when I arrived and rubbish in the bathroom. The carpets were filthy and the walls were not much better. No hot water in the morning (or ever). I complained, nothing happened. The television is tiny and screwed to the wall at the wrong angle, so the only way of watching it is standing up. Not equipped for a long stay with no cooking, washing or drying facilities, and no cleaning equipment. I placed some "dirt" in the communal areas to see if any cleaning was done. To my knowledge those bits of paper are still there. They don't care about their customers-don't stay here.

Room Tip: Just don't. And certainly not for long!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Stephen D

Travellers are raving about these Dereham hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

have stayed in this hotel on three occasions now and it has never been up to spec but for the money you pay what can you expect!!

Last night was the first time I have ever felt unsafe whilst trying to sleep. The doors in the hotel have key codes to access them and they never change the codes, which means if you know the code you can just let yourself in, last night my partner and I were sleeping in the basement room, which was like a dungeon, at about midnight I heard a a group of boys come crashing through the front door, drunk, when all of a sudden they came bursting into our room laughing and then ran off, I rang the MJB line and told them what was happening as I could hear them attempting other doors in the hotel, to which I was asked did I know their names and could I detain them until someone arrived, I didn't stop to ask their names as they were crashing around. No sooner had they told me they would send someone to the hotel did they attempt to get in our room again, I opened the door to about seven or eight 18 year olds who then legged it out the front door except for one, he ran around the hotel so I went to find him, as he ran past me out of the door I told them to get lost or I would call the police, the same boy then ran at me with his fists clenched, I shut the door which he then kicked so hard he broke the fixtures and hit me in the face with the door, I immediately called the police. I gave the police a description and they searched for the boys but to no avail.

About half an hour after all of this two 'handymen' arrived who worked for MJB and one guy who looked no older than the lads who broke in told us that he was the acting manager and only one in the office. He told us that before he could do anything he had to fix the door or he would get the sack, he wanted to drive all the way back to Norwhich to sort us out some more rooms, which we were not having as at this point we no longer felt safe. He then spoke to his boss whose name and number he would not give us and told us that they had no free space in any of their other properties but they could make it so that once we had gone into our rooms for the night, nobody could get in from the outside, so his solution to doors being kicked in, was to lock is in, so my partner and I told him that he need not bother as we would be making the 2 and a half hour trip back home.

As we were leaving we found out that there were seven other rooms being used and they did not inform them that their room codes were compromised, so if you are reading this and you have been staying there you don't know who has been in your rooms when you aren't there.

The guy who came from MJB did not even offer an apology or a solution or any compensation, I have never felt so unsafe, being attacked while I am trying to sleep is not what I'm looking for when I go away for a few days.

If you are reading this I am telling you DO NOT STAY in this hotel, it's filthy dirty, many things are broken and it is not safe, there is absolutely no security and after last night I found out that the people running the place do not care.

This hotel should be shut down.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this hotel under any circumstance, you are likely to fall ill due to the filth, have...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Holly R
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Booked cos it was close to family, but dear God what an absolute hell hole. It's filthy and I have no doubt very unsafe. The place was broken into by a gang of kids at 1am while we were there, they were in n out of every room. Management have nobody on site and sent a 16 year old "duty manager" from Norwich who didn't give a damn about the people staying there, was purely worried about a broken door. Took the lock off our room n said "nobody will be able to get in now but don't leave the room cos you won't be able to get back in", I asked how that would work in the event of a fire, his own youth offender unit clearly didn't consider that. Refused to offer any alternative accomodation......we drove at 2am to a very decent premier inn in Norwich.
Norfolks fine police officers say they attend several times a week.
IF YOU WANT SOMEWHERE TO STAY I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU CHOOSE ANYWHERE BUT HERE.

• Stayed March 2013
6 Thank yellowsunflowe
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I booked 2 separate single rooms. No 25 and 5B. 5B was located in what appears to be the loft of this old building. Access was via a very low, steep staircase- something akin to a horror movie. At the top was a landing too short for an adult to stand up in, with 2 buckets on the floor collecting water from the leaking window. Still hunched, i went into the room.. Where to start.. Floor was dirty with dust and hairy bits. Walls were creepy and lumpy, very poor paintwork. Ceiling had a dead fly stuck to it. The small desk was dusty. Bed was made of thin, wiry metal. The tea basket looked as though it had been recovered from a car crash. Out of sheer curiosity i decided to peel back the bedding and look at the matteress (not sure why i did this) but i was greeted with a large yellowy stain, several hairs of differing colours, a dead beetle/insect thing, and bits of dust and general unpleasantness.

Room 25 was marginally more presentable. I hardly had a chance to check thanks to the scantily clad 'woman' in the room next door who had music on very loud (midnight). Although in brief, some items of note: broken bedside lamp, toilet unflushed from last prisoner, chair covered in what i assume was bodily fluids. Id seen enough not to torment myself further by even checking the mattress.

Spending the night in this crack-house style 'hotel' instantly left my mind. I actually considered just staying awake all night instead and sitting in my car as a viable alternative.

Needless to say, i got in my car, drove to travelodge and tried to forget id ever seen this place. I didnt even complain. I dont want a refund. I just never want to talk, think or see anything to do with MJB ever again. It was... Disturbing. Never go there and please stop anyone you know/like/hate from ever going there. Its like a horror movie.

Disturbing.

Room Tip: Rooms at another hotel would be recommended. If you really have no choice sleep in your car. If you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank sham h
kings lynn norfolk
Reviewed 17 March 2013

got there,rooms wasnt ready,,got in to room,,floor was stinking and stained looked like dogs had lived there and dumped everywhere...no lights working in corridor to see key pad..very dirty..cleaners couldnt wait to ge away..then thru the night the local village idots use it to crash,,they pay for a room and have loads people back there,,running round at 4 am screaming and using fould lanuage then they tryed kicking our door in as they were that drunk...id never go back,,i am making offical complaint,,i wouldnt let my dog stay there in case he caught omething,,,its a shame as its in center of town and could be a very good place if they invested in a hoover and carpet washer.and put fresh coffee and tea bas in room...ooo and no bathroom light and rooms say bath and shower and its just a dirty showere there......honestly this is the last resort and should be called hell house..
.john.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank john l
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Have stopped here several times now and found it to be good value for money until now.
The management have doubled the prices which still leaves them the cheapest rooms in Dereham but puts them a lot closer to the local B&Bs which will not have the problem with yobs on a saturday night ( the price increase may put them off - we had no disturbance from inside the building the last saturday we stayed ).
The rooms are usually clean but you will always find something to moan about if you look hard enough.
The corridors are not cleaned daily so expect to see the odd bit of litter and bits of garden trailed in from outside.
The security lighting was working OK this last time but we always take a torch in case its off.
There is always plenty of tea and coffee in the room but it pays to wash the mugs yourself as they will be washed but very quickly.
In view of the number of rooms in the hotel, there are very few reviews so it looks like the people that write are the dissatisfied ones which gives the impression that its worse than it is.
If the management could blacklist the yobs they would get rid of the main cause of complaint - then it would just be a case of attention to detail and cleaning and the place would be a good value hotel to stop in.

Room Tip: Make sure you have your codes before you get there and take a torch if you are round the back
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple