Hill House Hotel
The Romany Rye Hotel(Dereham)(Great Value!)
US$64
US$97
PremierInn.com
US$106
  • Fitness centre
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Booked to stay here through lastminute.com as an emergency as we needed to stay over in Norwich area. Wish we had driven home now! When we arrived we spent ten minutes looking for Reception only to work out there wasn't one! Finally after asking a stranger we found a phone number to call as we had not been emailed our door code. When we finally got into our twin room we found......a double bed!! Not really a problem as we're a couple but unacceptable if it was father and daughter or two colleagues etc! Called to complain only to be left on hold for ages then told they had no other rooms i.e. tough! The room itself was rank! Dirty floors and grubby shower unit. Rusty sink surround. Broken TV. Toilet seat broken and strapped together with black gaffer tape! Tatty bed and bed linen so much so we slept in our clothes! Yuk! We couldnt wait to get out at 10am the next day particularly thanks to our noisey chavvy neighbours having breakfast outside our door! At the time I thought 'hey it was cheap, what do you expect?' but now I keep thinking how unacceptable it was and despite its good location and potential to be pretty good I could never stay there again! Oh yeh and the carpark is tiny, about 8 cars max when parked sensibly which they weren't the night we stayed!! Avoid if you can!!

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank LucyandClive
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I booked this hotel at the last minute due to my usual place that I stay in being fully booked. I was given ground floor room 25 round the back in the courtyard. The room was very small with no windows. It had a toilet and sink but there was no shared bathroom or shower to be found within the block where the room is located. The extractor fan in the toilet did not work. The bed was second hand and must have belonged to a young child as there were children's stickers on the end of the bed. The door to the room was a fire door but had a fire broke out in the corridoor right outside the room, then I would have had no means of escape and would have been trapped. How this would pass a health and safety inspection is beyond me. The stairs leading to the top floor had not seen a hoover for some time so the carpet was filthy. The pillow case had stains and hair on it so I suspect it had not been washed so had to use my own towel as a pillow case.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL AND DO NOT TRUST THE PICTURES OF THE ROOMS. THE COMPANY THAT RUN THIS SO CALLED HOTEL ARE CON ARTISTS. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RUN A BUSINESS.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Richard T
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This hotelchain (MJB) have chosen for economizing on staff to pay the bill for gas. Central heating blazing and no way to moderate the temperature except open the windows and add to "global warming". On arrival the 6-digit key to enter my room didn't work. My GSM can't send emails (as they suggest). What else? Making a telephone call? Nobody answers, all hide behind answerphones. (Leave your message, we'll get back to you). Member of staff who was painting? a totally rotten front door finally gave me the code that opens ALL doors (which was good as it enabled me to get towels from another room when there were non in my room! Welcome to Dereham! Room is clean (yes: CLEAN). Sheet over mattress is clean but not pressed so only LOOKS as if somebody slept on it before. Ensuite spic and span. I had not booked for breakfast. 3 points of attention: Appoint one caring person to approach this hotel as if he were a guest. Get the ludicrous temperature down. Get the system with the doorlocks sorted out and make sure the guest does get the RIGHT number even if booked 2 months ahead. Clean up the entrance hall and carpets on the stairs. First impression, and all that! The way it is now being run doesn't work as nobody cares!

With a bid of TLC this formula might stand a chance!

Room Tip: I had room 1 i.e. looking at the front the two windows on the first floor to the left of the main entrance. Rooms 1 and 2 are very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I would not recommend anyone booking here! I made the mistake thinking that it was cheap, so value for money but the pictures are misleading and nothing like the actual accommodation!
There is no staff around, you just get a code emailed to you to get in your room!
I booked 5a and the room stunk of smoke and the window didn't close properly. Everything felt damp. The shared bathroom was unclean and only had one bath and toilet for the 3 rooms to share!
The room is unrefundable from booking for a reason! We had to book another hotel!
DO NOT BOOK!!!

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 625Tashie
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I made the mistake of booking a room here for a month. There were used sheets and towels on the bed when I arrived and rubbish in the bathroom. The carpets were filthy and the walls were not much better. No hot water in the morning (or ever). I complained, nothing happened. The television is tiny and screwed to the wall at the wrong angle, so the only way of watching it is standing up. Not equipped for a long stay with no cooking, washing or drying facilities, and no cleaning equipment. I placed some "dirt" in the communal areas to see if any cleaning was done. To my knowledge those bits of paper are still there. They don't care about their customers-don't stay here.

Room Tip: Just don't. And certainly not for long!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business