“The most revolting hotel ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hill House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dereham
Hill House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dereham
England
“The most revolting hotel ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is the most horrid hotel ever! The building itself looks very historic from the outside but as soon as you get inside the feeling changes. It's old, smelly, unbearably hot (and in our room the windows were nailed shut). It may be cheap and cheerful but I would rather stay in a barn with pigs than spend another night in this hotel! There is no reception, you are expected to let yourself in with codes, overall the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in! Unless you are used to concentration camps, avoid at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma7272

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Never ever stay here.
Got in at 16:00
Looked at room, it smelt orrid.
Mattress heavily stained, no mattress cover, sheets didn't look clean.
No headboard,??? Pillows.
Mould in shower
Mould around cubicle
Toilet needed some strong industrial bleach.
I emailed as there rules advised,nobody is ever on site, so four young lads who lived there told me.
Another returned with around ten cans of larger.
I didn't stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank NN201

Travellers are raving about these Dereham hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I came to work in Norfolk and was working on a project. I needed somewhere to stay for a couple of months and my office found Hill House Hotel in Dereham. When I booked into the hotel, I found that the bathroom had a smell, that I couldn't get rid of. I am an ex military man, and accepted that this was a very low budget place and I have stayed in worse when working in the 3rd world....
I later moved to room 3, which was marginally better, but still very low budget.
The biggets issue I had was as follows:
After staying at the hotel for what was nearly 2 months, I decided to leave some belongings there when I needed to go away for 2 nights (but still stayed booked in, as it is a block booking). I also left my Bose mini soundlink blue tooth speaker in the room, mistakenly thinking, that this would be safe here......On my return, I found that the weekly clean had taken place, and that my speaker along with a few other items were missing.
I rang up the MJB number, and spoke to guy, who told me "you are speaking o the right person, because my fiancé cleans that room, and there was nothing left in that room"
I insisted, but didn't want to make any accusations. I checked that I hadn't packed the speaker, and found that I didn't.
I phoned back the following day, and was told that there was still no sign of the speaker. I informed the person I spoke to, that I will have to report the incident to the police, as I consider it to be theft.
To make a long story short, when I went to the hotel the following day, I found that the speaker and the other bits, were in a bag on my bed??
It seems, that when I threatened to get the police involved, the goods were returned? If this is not the case, MJB have not sent an email or have they attempted to ring me, to state what happened. I find this very poor, and it shows that MJB don't give a damn about customer service.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Villier1972
Immingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last week for a single night. The price made it extremely good value for a simple place to lay my head.
It is a very basic and budget 'unmanned' hotel. Codes are emailed efficiently to gain access to main and room doors. No grumble with that.
For a cheap place to have a sleep and a good spot to get round Norfolk this does what it says on the tin.
I will use it again for similar such stayovers. Clean and comfortable enough...certainly not spectacular...but doesnt claim to be!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KevinC2111
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Have stayed and reviewed it several times but now the prices are only marginally cheaper than other properties we have to look with a more critical eye.
The place has had a coat of paint which is a big improvement ( pity they didn't cover the carpets properly )
Having said that - they have increased the prices, so its more difficult to overlook the shortcomings.
We arrived to find the lock on our door was faulty - luckily there is now a manager who had left a note on the door for us to contact him to be let in. There was ment to be someone coming to fix it but they never turned up the whole time we were there.
They have moved some of the bedside tables out of the rooms, so now you have to move footstools around or do without.
The position is excellent and the rooms are large if you book a suit ( same price as a double with onsuit ) Car park is small but there is another free one over the road ( only had to use that once )
You will not be sleeping before 11.30 on a saturday as there is a band on in the pub nearby ( you may like to listen antway )
Not really a place for fussy people but adiquate if you used to budget hotels.

Room Tip: If you like to wash with a bar of soap - take your own. Book through hotels.com so you can pick you...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonygreen54
england
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My friend booked this hotel so she could come to my 40th birthday party on the 21st September. When she got there she was told her room was double booked!!! She then called a few days later for her refund and they said it had been booked in her married name and not her maiden name at time of booking! She lost all!!! Wasn't offered her refund or an explanation just told oh this has happened ten times before....disgraceful and unprofessional.

Stayed September 2013
3 Thank EnglandNorfolk
Birmingham UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I have stayed here quite a few times and quite honestly don't understand some of the complaints. The Hotel is situated in the Market Place of Dereham town, convenient for the shops and pubs, the A47 is two minutes away.

The rooms are clean and tidy and also very comfortable with en-suite, TV and coffee making facilities. Now when people are paying a small price for this, what are they complaining about ? Do they expect waiter and maid service ? or someone to pamper them over their period of stay ? Please people, if you want all this then book into a 5 star Hotel in Norwich where i am sure you might even get someone to tuck you in at night.

Staying at a Hotel, is a bed for the night that is secure safe and comfortable and also close to all amenities and main routes, that is what you get at Hill House.

They key codes are for your security, and if there is a problem with the codes ? just ring the office and they will have the on-site Manager, YES ON-SITE MANAGER ! come out to you within 2 minutes to help you and make sure you are comfortable.

Some of the comments on here are so out of date and quite frankly Don't do the Hotel justice in anyway. I have even recommended my parents and friends to stay here. The Hotel is mostly booked up even during the week, which says it all really, and i know some businessmen who stay here on a regular basis.

So if anyone is reading the old comments on here ? may i suggest you disregard those comments because they are very much out of date.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dereham
The Romany Rye Hotel
BEST WESTERN George Hotel
Glendower House
Glendower House
#8 of 8 in Dereham

Been to Hill House Hotel? Share your experiences!