“Smart and Comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hill House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dereham
Hill House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dereham
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Smart and Comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

Very smart and well presented - spotless - to have en suite facilities that were also in first class condition represented outstanding value for money - liked the idea of "Code" Entry to the various doors as this negated the need to carry around a set of keys with you - great location - right in the Town without being noisy at all.
Now the niggles!! - Seemed strange not to have a member of staff on site - not experienced that before - Didn't like the idea that important information was e-mailed to me at my home as I was away on Business so I didn't get to see it - so it made the initial arrival at the Hotel a bit awkward which seemed unnecessary?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

No staff here, and the key pad codes to get in don't always work so you need to call a number to get one that does. As this hotel/lodge is similar to a travel lodge or premier, you would think the service would match them at least in some way, it does not.

The rooms are not cleaned regularly, if you run out of toilet rolls or complementary refreshments you buy your own. The thermostats in the rooms have all been removed so you cannot change the heating which is at full blast (great in a winter) but not when its 23 degrees out side. I would never recommend it to anyone unless they had a major change in the running of it as it is part of a chain run by MJB. I wish we had looked at other reviews first as it seems there are safety issues to be addressed and police have been on the scene over Easter, with regards to vandalism and theft

Room Tip: Book any where else but here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank doreen m

Travellers are raving about these Dereham hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

I booked myself and friends in here for an overnight stay in way to Norwich, I then saw reviews on here and was expecting the worst.
Was pleasantly surprised on arrival, it was late and no spaces in guest car park but town car park was only 2 minute walk away. The first room was very basic but clean and comfortable, with toiletries, towels and drinks making facilities. The second room was classed as a suite and was a lovely split level room, recently refurbished and an absolute bargain. Would have no qualms in staying here again

• Stayed May 2014
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel is the most horrid hotel ever! The building itself looks very historic from the outside but as soon as you get inside the feeling changes. It's old, smelly, unbearably hot (and in our room the windows were nailed shut). It may be cheap and cheerful but I would rather stay in a barn with pigs than spend another night in this hotel! There is no reception, you are expected to let yourself in with codes, overall the WORST hotel I have ever stayed in! Unless you are used to concentration camps, avoid at all costs!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Emma7272
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Never ever stay here.
Got in at 16:00
Looked at room, it smelt orrid.
Mattress heavily stained, no mattress cover, sheets didn't look clean.
No headboard,??? Pillows.
Mould in shower
Mould around cubicle
Toilet needed some strong industrial bleach.
I emailed as there rules advised,nobody is ever on site, so four young lads who lived there told me.
Another returned with around ten cans of larger.
I didn't stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank NN201
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I came to work in Norfolk and was working on a project. I needed somewhere to stay for a couple of months and my office found Hill House Hotel in Dereham. When I booked into the hotel, I found that the bathroom had a smell, that I couldn't get rid of. I am an ex military man, and accepted that this was a very low budget place and I have stayed in worse when working in the 3rd world....
I later moved to room 3, which was marginally better, but still very low budget.
The biggets issue I had was as follows:
After staying at the hotel for what was nearly 2 months, I decided to leave some belongings there when I needed to go away for 2 nights (but still stayed booked in, as it is a block booking). I also left my Bose mini soundlink blue tooth speaker in the room, mistakenly thinking, that this would be safe here......On my return, I found that the weekly clean had taken place, and that my speaker along with a few other items were missing.
I rang up the MJB number, and spoke to guy, who told me "you are speaking o the right person, because my fiancé cleans that room, and there was nothing left in that room"
I insisted, but didn't want to make any accusations. I checked that I hadn't packed the speaker, and found that I didn't.
I phoned back the following day, and was told that there was still no sign of the speaker. I informed the person I spoke to, that I will have to report the incident to the police, as I consider it to be theft.
To make a long story short, when I went to the hotel the following day, I found that the speaker and the other bits, were in a bag on my bed??
It seems, that when I threatened to get the police involved, the goods were returned? If this is not the case, MJB have not sent an email or have they attempted to ring me, to state what happened. I find this very poor, and it shows that MJB don't give a damn about customer service.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel!!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Villier1972
Immingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel last week for a single night. The price made it extremely good value for a simple place to lay my head.
It is a very basic and budget 'unmanned' hotel. Codes are emailed efficiently to gain access to main and room doors. No grumble with that.
For a cheap place to have a sleep and a good spot to get round Norfolk this does what it says on the tin.
I will use it again for similar such stayovers. Clean and comfortable enough...certainly not spectacular...but doesnt claim to be!

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank KevinC2111
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dereham
The Romany Rye Hotel
Premier Inn Norwich West (Showground/A47) Hotel
Glendower House
Glendower House
#8 of 9 in Dereham

Been to Hill House Hotel? Share your experiences!