“Excellent food ”

Ranked #10 of 69 Restaurants in Dereham
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are an independent cafe serving a range of hearty meals, breakfasts and light bites. We endeavour to produce everything ourselves from fresh ingredients which are sourced locally whenever possible. Our cakes and scones are baked daily, and we serve a variety of traditional specials as well as our popular menu choices. Our fully enclosed children's play area is overlooked by our cafe's outdoor seating, so parents can enjoy a cup of our own-blend coffee whilst their children play or feed our fish, goats and battery rescue hens. Set in the heart of Norfolk, you can enjoy wonderful views over the surrounding countryside and the passing Mid Norfolk Steam Railway line. Originally designed as a teahouse for our holiday park, our growing reputation for excellent service, atmosphere and fresh food means that our cafe has become popular in its own right, attracting visitors from the surrounding villages and further afield. Cyclist groups are always welcome. Yaxham Waters Cafe offers a variety of tasty meals at great prices in a unique rural setting. Its the sort of place where everyone feels comfortable - if you are a builder in steel toecaps, a mum with three kids, business people in suits, a group of friends, its all good!
“Excellent food ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Service a bit hit and miss. You either get served quickly or you sat around waiting for a drink. Especially when staff knock off.

YaxhamWaters, Manager at Yaxham Waters Cafe, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing your visits to our café. I'm sorry that you have not received quick service every time, unfortunately it is not something that we can necessarily guarantee. We are a place where you can come to relax and have a leisurely meal, meet friends or enjoy our outdoor area, rather than somewhere that you could pop into for a quick lunch for example as we know that in busier times there will be a longer wait. We also cook all of our food fresh to order so there will be a little wait for this too. When we complete our new café extension we will have a servery as well as table service so if you want to come in for a quick bite to eat you will be able to do that as well as being able to take your time. I hope you continue to enjoy our food though and thank you again for your kind review.

Norwich, United Kingdom
“Kept meaning to visit and glad I did!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Was one of those places I often drove past and thought I really should stop for breakfast one day! When my friends decided on a breakfast birthday treat this was my first suggestion! Lovely cooked to order fresh food- good quality and all for a good price. The local 'spoons chain serve a Big breakfast for about the same price but the difference in quality is obvious! Yaxham waters is easy to get to and easy to park makes it ideal! I enjoyed it so much a few days later went for brunch with my fiancé consistent quality and service. Saw some nearby tables having the lunch daily specials and they looked nice so next time may try those instead of the breakfast! Reasonably priced making it affordable for day to day life and not just for a special treat!

YaxhamWaters, Manager at Yaxham Waters Cafe, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to our café. We source most of our ingredients locally and pride ourselves in offering good quality fresh food, so I’m glad that you agree!
Norwich, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fab!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The food at this place is fantastic, everything is fresh and so you can mix and match what you like, with me being yeast intolerant that is very important! I live very close by so with being such fantastic food it is amazing. It could be a little cleaner at times and is slightly pricey, however I am happy to pay it for the quality of food. Love it.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gknncgh
YaxhamWaters, Owner at Yaxham Waters Cafe, responded to this review, 19 March 2015
Hi there. Thanks for the review you sent a while ago. I'm just getting into responing to all my reviews so apologies for the delay - I'm glad you didn't have to wait as long for your food!

We are starting to cater more and more for food intolerances - it must be very hard for you when you go to restuarants. We have the new allergens notifications in place and when our new extension opens shortly we will be able to introduce more menu items that do not cause you or others any problems.

I take your point about it could be slightly cleaner at times - sometimes it does look like a bomb has hit it when we have been extremely busy. Currently we only have a very small kitchen (not much bigger than a household kitchen if you live in a posh house!) from which they cook hundreds of fresh meals daily and prepare, wash up etc. This is far from ideal and our new extension will treble the size of the kitchen. It may be worth pointing out we have been awarded the maximum five out of five (excellent) on the Breckland Council Food Hygiene rating system five times in a row.

I'm sorry you felt the cafe can be slightly pricey - our main meals are £5.95 (at the time of writing 19 March 2015) and have never been more expensive than that. SOmetimes I get a pie special packed with meat and as I'm sitting eating it I wonder "how can we put this much meat in and still make money?" but we do! A massive lump of cake or as the chefs call it 'a slice' costs £1.95 which I think is reasonable.

It would be great if you could visit us again and re-rate us! I'd be interested to see how your views sat now. All the best. Pablo
Norfolk, United Kingdom
“we come here often but have never reviewed!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visit here often for lunch or Sunday breakfast. The setting is wonderful with a light airy 'bistro look' dining area with a rustic charm despite the modern building. Tables of all sizes so large groups can be seated. If you have young children there is a great play area or you can pop in the farm shop and buy food to feed the goats or chickens. Lots to see for the kids as there is also a large safe pond stocked with fish. The outdoor veranda area over looks the play area and pond to allow parents to relax with a cuppa but still be able to supervise the children. The meals are always good quality and the chef uses eggs from the chickens and produce from the farm shop next door. The sausages in the brekkies are from a local butcher and are some fo the best I have ever tasted. The waitresses are always very friendly and chatty. I understand there is some building work planned to extend the cafe and the only negative I would say is that currently the fried food cooking smells tend to stick to your clothes so hopefully if the new set up is less open plan this won't happen. Not even sure if I should mention it cos it doesnt spoil your enjoyment of the place!! Gorgeous home made cakes on offer too!!! Well done Pablo and your staff, keep up the good work!!

Visited May 2014
Hi Helzibub! Thanks for the lovely review you gave us some time ago. As you can see, I am only just getting on board the Trip Advisor juggernaut so am trying to respond to all reviews! I think you summed us up beautifully and really appreciate your positive comments.

I totally take your point about the cooking smells and fully understand the postive way you have commented - thank you. Sometimes if a waitress brings me lunch in the office I can smell if we have been frying onions! I kninda like it really as our stuff is fresh cooked and not just microwaved, the aromas of freshly ground coffee, garlic, onions, sauces, soups and baking all seem to add a little to the ambience (of course too much of anything is not good). The new kitchen will still be open plan as I love customers to see how clean the kitchen is, how nice the staff are and how much fun it is to work here. It will be slightly offset from the new eating area rather than right in the midst of it so I doubt we'll notice any smells.
Dereh
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I been to yaxham water cafe a fews times . This is a great place to chill out . The food and drink is very good and the staff are very helpfull. I love this place in the summer time, when out on a bike I pop in and sit out on the decking looking over the fields chilling with a cold drink and a cake

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Ally C
Hi Ally C - Thanks for the review you submitted a while ago. I'm so happy that you enjoy your visits and hope you are still using the cafe and have seen it improve over recent times.

I think you were at the forefront of cycling to our cafe! - we now regularly cater for over 75 cyclists each day over the weekend as they use us as a turning round point from Norfth Norfolk, Norwich and Wymondham.

We have extended our large veranda and are about toi open our new cafe extension which will treble the seating and cooking areas!