“Peaceful and lovely location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bartles Lodge

Bartles Lodge
Ranked #5 of 8 Dereham B&B and Inns
Cumbria
“Peaceful and lovely location”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We've just spent 2 nights at Bartles Lodge and can only say what a good choice it was. A lovely, peaceful location, ideal for us with our small Westie dog as you can just walk directly out of your room into a small courtyard with the car nearby and the lovely grounds with the 3 lakes to walk around. Although, mainly geared up for angler's, we certainly did not feel out of place. We were greeted on arrival by the owner and shown around the comfortable accommodation. The breakfast in the morning was freshly cooked and very nice indeed. There's a pub just up the road which serves food and also has a beer garden but if you want eat at the Lodge you can pre book a dinner. There's also a small bar facility at the Lodge.
This is a very good choice of accommodation and I would certainly recommend it to others, we'll certainly be back, for a longer stay next time hopefully .

Room Tip: The road getting to the Lodge is a bit small so some care needed.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cumbrianman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
UNITED KINGDOM
Reviewed 22 April 2014

When you find something like this, there are two reactions, do I tell everyone about it, or keep it a secret so it remains exclusive to the few! Decided on a break for Easter weekend, could not have made a better choice. Arrived early at 10am, met by one of the owners (Jane) who advised me that my room was ready & I could have the key & move in now, lovely start! The room was clean & tidy, with TV, free Wi fi, tea & coffee,milk, sugar, hot chocolate & biscuits which were topped up every day. Plenty of space for your clothes etc. I had a twin room, although single occupancy, with no extra charge! The lakes on site were very well maintained by the other owner (Chris), who runs a very tight ship on the fishing rules being abided by, but don't be scared off, he is a very friendly guy who's knowledge of the lakes & area is second to none so listen & learn & your fishing experience will be the best! I fished all three lakes & on one I bagged 250lb of carp between 2-4lb in 8 hours! The lake & peg will remain a secret, however I was assured by Chris that the match the next day was won on that same peg that I had been feeding, lol! On the last day I probably had another 100lb catch on the top lake, with a nice 7lb & 9lb common to finish off. There are three other lakes that can be fished close by & can only be fished if you stay on site, I will save those for my next visit, which will be sooner rather than later! Ahhhh the breakfast, what a start to the day, trust me, for £8 you will not be dissapointed & all local produce. You will meet Chris there every morning so don't set off without it. You can pick up a number of items for fishing at the bar, just leave the money in the 'Honesty Box'! Same for drinks at the bar, help yourself & leave the money. Janet will also do you a packed lunch at a very reasonable cost if you request it at breakfast in the morning. To sum up, 5 star accomodation, 5 star service & hospitality & five star fishing, you will not be dissapointed! P.S. Leave your mobile phone at home, you won't need it there, heaven,lol!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank BOBBY
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel has been refurbished by the owners and it now ticks every box anyone would need. The bathroom is a delight (even had quilted loo roll!!) and the power shower was to die for.
I loved the little touches that the owner had put in for example having a teapot in the room is great instead of the teeny weeny cups you normally get.
The room was spotless, very tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. I arrived at night with curtains closed and what a delight I had when I opened the curtains to see such lovely landscape and the fishing lakes which have also been added to by the current owners.
The food for breakfast was delicious and I like the fact that this couple use local produce.
The host (I can only comment on the lady hostess as that is whom I met) was genuine and warm and made me feel right at home. If ever I come back to this part of the country I would definately stop here. This really is one of the nicest places I have stayed.

Room Tip: Book for the en suite side (I had room 1 which was perfect)
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Debra P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

I would recommend bartles lodge to anybody. The rooms and large and immaculately clean. The beds are comfortable and the couple that run it are the perfect hoasts. The location is tucked away in a beautiful little village meaning a very peaceful nights sleep! I am not a fisherman but I can see why you would go if you were, they have three large lakes on site. All in all a hidden gem, thankyou.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank vickyspike
Derbyshire
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We stayed here weekend of the 3rd May 2013 and it was fantastic. We were attending a wedding at the nearby Hunters Hall Venue and this place was ideal! Glad we didn't stay at Hunters as Bartles beats it hands down.
We arrived on the Friday, checked in and went out on a bike ride in the nearby area. The landscape lends itself to cycling being so flat and scenic. On our return in the early evening we decided to eat at the Mermaid Pub just next door. (See separate review but excellent)
The following morning we had breakfast and it was lovely. All freshly cooked with local produce including great local sausage. The owners are really friendly and gave us a great bike ride idea for the morning. In the afternoon we went to the wedding had a great time and cycled back in the dark :-)
All round great place to stay and very reasonable rates. The rooms are spacious with massive beds and nice clean showers.
We def return for a long weekend cycling, also I am an avid fisherman but didn't take my rods on this trip. I did however take a stroll round the lakes early one morning. They look really good, lots of features and I saw quite a few decent carp topping.
Book it you won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: Room 2 is a great double with a nice view.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Wasn't expecting this to be anything different than your stereotypical B&B-how wrong could I have been?
Bartles Lodge is set in beautiful surroundings with three fishing lakes for use by your avid angler...I don't happen to be a fisherman-I just thought that it would be silly not to mention the facilities that the guest house has!
The room that we were presented with was clean, comfortable and modern-tastefully decorated and with everything that we could have needed.
We were only there for one night, but the hostess made us feel very welcome and cooked up a great breakfast for us following our evening at Elsing Hall the night before!
A great guest house-I would think that it would be an AMAZING guest house if you are a fisherman!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Oxford, England
Reviewed 29 September 2010

A group of four of us have been enjoying an annual fishing weekend away for nearly 20 years but always till now we've made the trip to Ireland. This year we decided to avoid the cross channel journey, the increasing expense of the euro and the deteriorating fishing in Ireland to try a weekend in Norfolk. After a fair bit of research we settled on Bartles Lodge.

Bartles Lodge is in the village of Elsing not far from East Dereham and consists of a converted stable block containing 6 bedrooms and a residents dining room/function room where breakfast is served. 3 bedrooms overlook one of the (very picturesque) lakes and the other 3, a courtyard with an ornamental fish pond. There are 3 lakes and each is different - very briefly for the fishermen readers one is a match lake, one is a specimen carp lake and the third is a mixed pleasure fishery.

Accommodation is provided on a bed and breakfast basis and what a breakfast it is (see photo). The rooms themselves are clean and basic, we had twin bedded rooms but others are double and there are a mixture of showers and baths. (be sure to specify what you'd like when you book)

While we were there the weather was very, very wet and one thing which would have been useful would have been a drying room or similar where wet clothes and boots etc could be left to dry overnight - apart from that I can't think of anything I'd change.

Evening meals can be taken at the Mermaid Inn just next door to the entrance and this friendly pub really does complement Bartles Lodge by providing great lunches and dinners as well as a full evening's entertainment.

So in summary great fishing, beautiful surroundings, bedrooms looking over the lakes, super breakfasts, a great pub next door and all at a very reasonable cost. I have a feeling I could be visiting Bartles Lodge again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hastalavista(UK)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dereham
The Romany Rye Hotel
#8 of 8 in Dereham
Yaxham Mill
Yaxham Mill
#4 of 8 in Dereham

Been to Bartles Lodge? Share your experiences!