“Wedding viewing disaster”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Droitwich
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Wedding viewing disaster”
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We are currently planning our wedding and I had planned to see the venue, discuss the prices and packages with the wedding coordinator. Our appointment was at 1pm. However, when we arrived to see the venue, Emily was not working for the day and we was showed around two of the bridal suits by the receptionist. The rooms were not made up or cleaned before we went and viewed them. We were not allowed to see the suites where the ceremony and reception would take place because there was a private party going on. We asked if the bar in the lobby was exclusive for us if decide to get married there, however it wasn’t. After having a look at the bedrooms we asked if we could go and sit at the bar to go through the brochure that they have provided us. We weren’t allowed since the bar was now apparently exclusive use.

When I rung Emily to view the venue and have an appointment with her, I was accepting to have this meeting and be shown the hotel on the available suites etc. This did not happen. She failed to inform me that there was a private party and a antiques fair going on the same day of our appointment so this limited the areas that we could see. Also, she provided me with a brochure that contains the all available suites and the room capacity yet no prices, no prices for accommodation or any more information on the packages that was available. The hospitality of this hotel is appalling. If they can’t inform you that there is no one to see you for your meeting then they are not going to be helpful if you have your wedding there. Don’t book your wedding.

7 Thank Stephanie M
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Stephanie M,

I am writing in response to your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney for a wedding appointment. Whilst I always appreciate constructive feedback as to how we at the hotel can improve our standards of service I am afraid that your review does in no way accurately reflect the situation to which you refer.

After a detailed conversation with our Wedding Co-ordinator, and reading through the email sent to you by her on 14th May, I am disappointed in the version of events you have portrayed. To take your points in order:

1. When making your appointment to view the hotel, which you insisted on being Sunday as it was the only time you could make, you were informed by Emily that she would not be present and that there were events on at the hotel every weekend between now and October thus potentially limiting the spaces you would be able to view. Various alternative times were offered, including Emily offering to work late on any night of your choice to facilitate an evening viewing of the facilities, yet you still chose Sunday.

2. The member of the team who showed you around was correct in pointing out that the hotel bar does not become private for your party as a matter of course, but per the email correspondence Emily had previously sent you, our literature makes it clear that this can be discussed and arranged with the hotel if and when a booking is made; hence the private use of the Grand Bar on Sunday for another function.

3. I offer my apologies regarding the bridal suites not being clean and available for viewing. Whilst we always endeavour to have rooms returned to service as speedily as possible, we do not make a habit of rushing wedding couples to check out following their big day. Late checkouts from both of our Feature Suites was the reason that rooms were not cleaned in time for your appointment.

4. With regards to your comment about not having been provided with pricing, I would be happy to paste an excerpt from the email Emily sent you on 14th May detailing package pricing for all of the wedding packages at the hotel. In respect of accommodation pricing, it is common practice at most wedding venues which offer bedrooms to offer a unique price for wedding guest accommodation based on the time of year of the wedding and the number of bedrooms required. As your enquiry had not progressed beyond the embryonic stage of visiting the hotel for the first time it is entirely appropriate that no accommodation pricing had yet been provided.

I am saddened that your visit did not go as you wished, and at least for the bedroom viewing aspect I offer my apologies. I find it disappointing that instead of speaking to us directly in an effort to address any concerns you may have had you chose to post a review on Tripadvisor but that is of course your prerogative. In address of your final comment, I am very proud of the exceptional levels of hospitality, professionalism and service offered by my team and which is regularly praised both on this forum and directly to the hotel itself.

I would recommend that anybody who wishes to read reviews or comments from brides and grooms who have actually held a wedding at the hotel visit our website, Facebook page or blog where comments and feedback are regularly updated; the overwhelming majority of which offer profuse thanks to the team here for making wedding days so special and memorable.

Ben Elder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After reading all the positive reviews my partner and I were really looking forward to our weekend stay at the hotel. Check in was ok but very difficult to understand the foreign accent of the receptionist. On arrival in our room in the annex, we found it was tiny and dark to say the least and looked out on to the wall of the next building. There was a drawer missing completely out of the chest of drawers and the hair dryer was one of those antiquated ones attached to the bathroom wall and in the end I had to give up trying to dry my hair it was so inefficient. The room looked a bit tatty. One thing that needs rectifying is the towel rail, it was red hot all the time and although we looked, there was no way of turning it off. It was right next to the toilet and both of us burnt our arms on it. If a child touched it, it would be really nasty. In the recent hot spell as well it did not help. We mentioned it on checkout but the receptionist didn't appear to make a note or be bothered. Another thing that disappointed us was the restaurant. It was a special anniversary for us and when we arrived we wanted to book a table on the Saturday night only to be told we couldn't get a table until 8.45pm but this was too late for us. We enquired again on the Saturday just in case there had been any cancellations but were told they still couldn't get us in so we had to put up with a bar meal which wasn't ideal. We wanted a special meal where we could dress up and celebrate. On checking the restaurant several times there were only a few tables occupied all evening so we were a bit upset as to why we couldn't get in. We will not be in the area again as it was a one off event in the area we went to on the Saturday so it was a great disappointment to us.

1 Thank lesley4132
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Lesleyannw

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. I was disappointed to read some of the comments you made about your stay with us and would like to take the opportunity to respond.

Firstly, I have noted your comments regarding the towel rail in your room and this matter has been flagged to my maintenance team in order to ensure corrective action can be taken should it be appropriate. I note your various comments regarding the room in which you stayed and which was located in our Courtyard building. Whilst I fully appreciate that these rooms lack the grandeur of our recently refurbished Chateau bedrooms; a fact which is reflected in the rate charged for them, I firmly believe that they represent value for money and disagree that they are 'tatty'. I also feel it is fair to point out that full information, including photos of all of our bedrooms is not only available on our own website but on all channels through which it is possible to book accommodation at the hotel.

With regards to your comment about not being able to book a table in our restaurant at your desired time, I am sorry that this was the case, but as a very popular dining destination, the Impney Restaurant & Bar does have limited availability which is why we suggest all guests and customers pre-book a table should it be required. For a special occasion such as was the purpose of your visit, I would have assumed that a booking could have been made in advance. I am afraid I will never apologise for operating a busy and popular restaurant although I am regretful that you were unable to secure a reservation on the night in question. Regarding your comment about the restaurant not being busy when you checked, I am not sure at what times you checked but from the number of diners catered for on the night, I can assure you that the restaurant had a very busy evening indeed.

Thank you again for your feedback, we always endeavour to use it constructively.

Ben Elder

Travellers are raving about these Droitwich hotels

Reviewed 17 May 2014

It was a last minute booking and what a pleasant surprise it was. Very impressive driveway and parkland grounds, and gardens were stunning. The staff were really friendly and the hotel was decorated tastefully and stylish. It was a business trip but I can't wait to visit with my family and I would highly recommend

Room Tip: Possibly the rooms in the main house
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kathy M

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. I was delighted to read that you so thoroughly enjoyed your visit with us and that you found our team helpful and our decor stylish. We are all very proud of the recent sympathetic renovation completed at the Chateau and I am very glad that you enjoyed the results of our efforts.

Whilst I note that your recent stay with us was for business purposes, the Chateau also makes an ideal leisure destination for some relaxation and luxury. Our central location makes us an excellent base for exploring the plethora of interesting destinations throughout the Midlands and I hope that you will join us again soon.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

In a sense I feel slightly churlish being negative - as some of your reviewers have commented, this has always been on my list to visit and was able to take advantage of a "Laterooms" offer. Perhaps expectations were too high, but it did not really do the business for me.
No complaints over the staff and the main building is impressive set in stunning grounds. However my room was in an outpost away from the main area. There was a feeling of isolation and the rooms seemed functional and lacking character and they all seemed the same, and rather felt like a battery hen approach to accommodation. The rooms were, however, very clean and orderly. There were key cards for the security door and the room, which is a pet hate of mine.
Breakfast was ok, but the buffet style often means it gets messy if not one of the first in the queue.
I want to be fair and say there was nothing really "wrong" with the hotel but it just did not really tick my boxes. Not somewhere to stay if you want character and enjoy a pint in the warm, mellow evening, idlly listening to the locals.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Estragon01
Dear Estragon01

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. Whilst I was pleased to read some aspects of your review I am disappointed by some of your comments, especially considering your assurance that nothing was actually wrong with your stay.

I note your comments about our Courtyard Rooms am happy that you found it to be clean and functional. We make it abundantly clear on all channels through which accommodation can be booked that these rooms do not project the same grandeur as our recently refurbished Chateau bedrooms. Having not opted to stay in the main Chateau, I feel your comment regarding the hotel not being a place to stay should you want character is misguided.

I also note your comment regarding the provision of key cards for guest use throughout the hotel. Again, based on the fact that over 90% of UK hotels now operate such a 'key' system I am not quite sure why you felt it worthy of a mention as a 'pet hate'. I can however assure you that we take the security of our customers and guests very seriously at Chateau Impney and I feel that our door entry system provides a great level of reassurance.

Thank you again for your feedback, we always attempt to use it constructively.

Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was so excited to go here as I'd wanted to go for years. When you enter the grounds its stunning as is the chateau. Syayed in the Impney Lodge and was slightly disappointed that the rooms were just like any other hotel and didn't have the character of the chateau. Bar area is lovely and being able to walk out onto the terrace on a sunny day is also lovely. The new restaurant is also a bit of a let down - quite minimalistic but food was ok. Breakfast is great.

1 Thank Michelle H
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Michelle H

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our grounds and newly refurbished terrace during your stay and I was equally pleased to note your rating of 5 stars for cleanliness, service, location and value.

I was also glad to read that you found your visit to our Grand Bar to be an enjoyable experience. I note your comments about the newly refurbished Impney Restaurant & Bar however I feel that the fresh, art deco style in which the renovation has been carried out is a perfect compliment to the grandeur and style of the Chateau itself.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Chateau in the near future.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Visited for a friend's wedding on a Sunny day at the start of May. The building and grounds were lovely and the staff were very attentive. The food we were served was brilliant and there was good amount on the plates. The drinks were not as expensive as I would have expected in this sort of venue.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear sidhead

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney. I was delighted to read your kind comments about the wedding you attended at the hotel and equally pleased by your very considerate comments about the attentiveness of our team. Customer service is at the heart of everything we aim to accomplish at the Chateau and I am very gratified to receive such positive feedback.

Thank you again for your review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Chateau in the near future.

Leicestershire
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We popped in on the way home from a holiday in Herefordshire. The hotel looked enticing from the road and the grounds were absolutely beautiful,as good as those of any National Trust property. We only ordered a sandwich and a coffee as we didn't have much time - both of which were good. However, we were very disappointed when I asked at Reception for a room tariff and was told there wasn't one because it depended on how busy they were and the time of year. I asked for a leaflet on the hotel with a view to showing friends and the possibility of several of us booking in the future, but I was told there were no leaflets. Sorry but that's not very impressive and it means we won't be booking rooms in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear candiloveholidays

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney. I was delighted to read your comments regarding our outstanding grounds and that you enjoyed your coffee and sandwiches. Our afternoon tea service has fast become a firm favourite at the hotel providing excellent food set against a grand backdrop.

In reference to your comments about the lack of a published tariff or leaflet on the hotel; whilst I appreciate your comments I would like to point out that it is very much 'industry standard' across the hotel sector for both rates to flex on a daily basis depending on business levels and for properties to no longer publish leaflets or brochures. I would however urge you to visit our website should you require information on any aspect of the hotel where full details can be found on all of our services and products including bedrooms, dining and our extensive conference, banqueting and wedding facilities. Our website also provides a host of information on up and coming events at the hotel.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Chateau in the near future.

Ben Elder
Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
The Crown by Marston's Inns

Been to Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre? Share your experiences!