“Brilliant!”

Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Droitwich
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We booked four rooms at the Chateau Impney at really short notice. We had one apartment and three rooms in the courtyard annexe. Everyone in our party of 11 was more than satisfied with the facilities. The whole place is absolutely stunning - great facilities, friendly and helpful staff - and the grounds are simply breathtaking. Every member of our party said that they'd love to come back, and my wife and I will certainly do so in the near future as we have family members in the area and there's no finer location for us to get together. At check out we were given 10% discount vouchers off future bookings which we'll definitely be using. We didn't dine at the Chateau because our stay was such a brief one - but after checking out we weren't rushed to vacate the premises (as is so often the case with busy hotels) and so we spent an hour exploring the main building and the grounds. My granddaughter summed it up perfectly I think when she said to me with the hugest smile: "This is the best place in the world!" Thanks to all concerned for a brief but perfect stay - and we will return. Thank you all.

Room Tip: We'd like to revisit as a couple and stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Martin S

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. I was delighted to read your feedback and my team and I are extremely happy that you and your family so thoroughly enjoyed your visit.

I have passed your kind words to my team who are delighted to receive such delightful comments. I am very glad that you also found the time to explore our gardens and parkland; a 'must' experience in my opinion for any visit to the Chateau.

Thank you once more and I hope to see you again soon at the hotel.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My Mum wanted to treat my youngest niece, my partner, and myself to afternoon tea. We booked a table and duly turned up just before 3. Greeted by a very nice young man who was very friendly and showed us to our table. It was a very small table for 4 people but was situated right by the window with a fabulous view across the grounds. There is a great choice of teas and sandwiches and we all chose something different with the view to sharing. The tea arrived first and was in pots, tea is so much nicer in a pot. The pots, crockery, milk and sugar very nearly filled the table. The food arrives on 3 tier sandwich plates. Unfortunately because our table was so full our waiter managed to chuck one of these on the floor. He apologised and left us with an undamaged plate of small cakes while they made more sandwiches. During this time an army helicopter landed right outside the window, which was absolutely fantastic, not something you see every day. Anyway, once everything had arrived we tucked into some very tasty food. The cakes were delicious and scones and jam were lovely. The bread was great which we were pleased about, as we all hate the nasty plastic stuff that sticks to your teeth. My only moan was that the table was far too small and my partner nearly chucked one of the plates on the floor as well. However, all things taken into account, I will definitely go back but very much doubt it will be quite so "entertaining" next time....

Room Tip: Ask to sit in the window seat, the views of beautiful, but the table is better suited to 2 not 4 peo...

Dear Suzie P

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney for afternoon tea. I was very pleased to read your various comments regarding the quality of the food and service you enjoyed throughout your visit.

I have noted your feedback on the table size at which your afternoon tea was served and passed it to my Food & Beverage Manager for action. With regards to the 'entertainment' I can only assure you that we always go out of our way to give that 'bit extra' to our customers and I am glad you enjoyed the Army's aerial activity. With reference to the member of my waiting staff who served you, my Food & Beverage Manager assures me that he is working on his juggling skills in the hope of preventing a recurrence!!

Thank you again for your kind words and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Chateau in the near future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed here for one night. The room was acceptable despite the route to it. One main issue for me to be so negative was the restaurant, the food was actually poor. I discretly returned the fish pie as it had zero taste apart from cream, they said they would replace so I ordered the liver and bacon - if you like raw liver and water sweet potato then you will be happy. The waiting staff offered to comp the food. However the main issue I had was with the checkout, they charged me for the meal, when I mentioned that they said it would be free. Despite saying he would check he came back and said they they hadnt told me it would be comp'd. When I asked them to recheck he said he would after I had paid. Frankly I will never visit this hotel again as the service was about as bad as it gets and the food was worse. I don't like to be negative, but this is a hotel with some serious problems and I ask that the manager doesnt respond with some facile comments. It was bad, you should have addressed my issues today. I was made to feel like I was liar and was after a free meal. I have never been so belittled in 30 years or travelling by a hotel. Rude and Insulting. Dont visit. Angry yes, you made me feel terrible. If you are the owner or a shareholder, you need to start protecting your investment by protecting your reputation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Matthew B

Dear Matthew B

I am writing in response to your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. I was obviously disappointed to read your feedback and I feel it appropriate to take the opportunity to respond to some of your comments, which are frankly inaccurate.

The main thrust of your review concerns your experience in our newly refurbished Impney Restaurant & Bar and I would like to address the points you have raised.

After speaking to both the Restaurant Supervisor who served you on the night in question and the Duty Manager to whom you spoke in the morning, I can confirm that you did indeed send back your fish pie on the basis that you felt it was not tasty. Whilst this is an incredibly popular dish with our patrons, we of course will always attempt to cater for guests individual tastes and on this basis you were offered a replacement meal. For your replacement, as you state, you chose our calves liver and bacon.

I find it hard to accept your comments regarding the quality of the food you were served on the basis that you consumed it all; from the king prawn starter, which you incidentally also complained about and then ate fully, to the calves liver and bacon.

I am confident in my teams reports to me that you were not in fact offered your meal on a complimentary basis but that you were told that the original dish, the fish pie, would not be charged for, and it was not.

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay and I trust you have not found my response superficial.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We recently stayed at Chateau Impney for a family reunion. On arriving we were amazed at how impressive the building is. Throughout our stay the staff were extremely helpful and polite. We are a family of five so had booked one of the apartments. These have recently been renovated. There was plenty of space, clean and well appointed. There is a high chance of banging your head due to the beams!
The expansive grounds are in part beautiful, but on the whole look unkept. The tennis court has been left and unused for many years, the grass has been left to go to meadow, but the immediate garden at the front of the building is a lovely setting to enjoy a glass of wine in the sun.
Our party of about 30 was seated in a private room off the main dining room. Considering the grandeur of the building, we felt like we were put in a rather disappointing room - low ceiling, peculiar lighting and even more peculiar art work on the walls? Parts of the property need updating, the toilets, although clean, were very tired and old fashioned.
The food was to a good standard-not exceptional, but it never is when catering for large numbers. The wine is expensive and if you fancy some bubbles the cheapest is Prosecco at a mere £59 per bottle, incredible.
Breakfast was disappointing. Served buffet style and not replenished very quickly so people were kept waiting for the hot dishes. I asked if it was possible for poached eggs as the scrambled egg looked awful, the waiter was more than happy to arrange this for me and they duely arrived.
During the weekend the staff could not have done any more for us and we were all very happy with the service we received.
It is a great shame that this hotel, which I am led to believe sits in 149 acres, does not have better facilities. Perhaps a swimming pool, spa facilities, working tennis court etc. This is definitely a hotel which I guess mainly caters for conferences and other corporate events. A considerable amount of work appears to be going on at the rear of the building but this does not disrupt the peace and quiet.
Would we return again? I am not sure...an expensive night away but lovely to see a large percentage of the family.

1  Thank JonandSarahY
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear JonandSarahY

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and that you found my team to be helpful and polite throughout your time with us.

I note your various comments, specifically regarding the private dining room in which your party was hosted. Whilst I understand that artwork and decor are uniquely personal tastes, I am delighted with the refurbishment of the Raven Room, including the Jack Vettriano artwork which adorns it; a sentiment shared by the vast majority of customers who have experienced it since its renovation last year.

I admit to being at a loss with regards to your feedback about the grounds and parkland at the hotel. Whilst I appreciate your comments about the manicured ornamental gardens abutting the main Chateau itself, the majority of the remainder of the land is intentionally left to pasture, and not actually overgrown. These areas of the grounds are not intentioned to be manicured to the same extent as the gardens.

I also note your comment about the cheapest bottle of 'bubbles' being priced at £59.00. I am not sure from where you gathered this information but I would like to assure you that we offer a wide variety of sparkling wines and champagnes ranging in price from as little as £24.95 per bottle all the way up to multiple hundreds of pounds. In reference to your comment about breakfast, I am surprised to read that you found this aspect of your stay to be a disappointment. As you can see from numerous comments both on Tripadvisor and various other media, including the hotels own website, breakfast is widely regarded as an excellent offering at the Chateau and a product of which we are very proud.

Thank you again for your feedback, we will always endeavour to use it constructively.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Visited the Antiques Fair held in the exhibition centre yesterday with a friend, then we went to the Hotel's outdoor terrace to have afternoon tea. A member of staff who may have been the Restaurant Manager? asked us what we wanted and when we said we'd like something to eat and drink he asked if we'd booked? When we said no, we'd just been to the Fair he suggested we returned there to the cafe inside. We said we preferred to be outside (beautiful day) and he said so did a lot of people but he had a party inside and didn't want them to be disturbed and the outdoor tables were available for the hotel's guests. When I said I thought his attitude was rude, he looked at me and said he wasn't apologising for being busy. The year before, we'd got a table for afternoon tea but they'd run out of scones. Won't be recommending this venue to anyone for anything as can't believe how we were treated. Definitely one to miss in future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank dinxalink

Dear dinxalink

Thank you for your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney on Sunday 18th May. I would like to take the opportunity to clarify some of the comments you have made which I feel somewhat misrepresent the situation and how you were related to by a member of my management team.

You note in your review that you were 'turned away' from having an afternoon tea on our terrace however fail to make mention of the fact that the manager concerned explained to you at the time that the top tier of the terrace where you were intending to sit was actually privately reserved for an awards presentation which was occurring in the abutting banqueting room. You also do not mention the fact that the manager informed you that he envisaged the awards presentation coming to an end in approximately half an hour at which time you would be welcome to return; an offer which you rejected.

As was evident on Sunday, the hotel was extremely busy, both with the awards ceremony and the antiques fair being hosted which is why a suggestion that refreshments were available at the antiques fair itself was made to you. Unfortunately, we have finite space available and whilst I do not like having to turn any business away, sometimes this is inevitable due to prior commitments or a lack of space which could then impact other customers' enjoyment of the facilities.

Whilst I agree with my team members sentiment of not apologising for operating a busy and popular destination, I am sorry if you found his tone to be anything but courteous; an impression I am assured by the member of the team in question which was unintentional.

Thank you again for your feedback and should you wish to join us again for afternoon tea I would always recommend calling ahead to book.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We are currently planning our wedding and I had planned to see the venue, discuss the prices and packages with the wedding coordinator. Our appointment was at 1pm. However, when we arrived to see the venue, Emily was not working for the day and we was showed around two of the bridal suits by the receptionist. The rooms were not made up or cleaned before we went and viewed them. We were not allowed to see the suites where the ceremony and reception would take place because there was a private party going on. We asked if the bar in the lobby was exclusive for us if decide to get married there, however it wasn’t. After having a look at the bedrooms we asked if we could go and sit at the bar to go through the brochure that they have provided us. We weren’t allowed since the bar was now apparently exclusive use.

When I rung Emily to view the venue and have an appointment with her, I was accepting to have this meeting and be shown the hotel on the available suites etc. This did not happen. She failed to inform me that there was a private party and a antiques fair going on the same day of our appointment so this limited the areas that we could see. Also, she provided me with a brochure that contains the all available suites and the room capacity yet no prices, no prices for accommodation or any more information on the packages that was available. The hospitality of this hotel is appalling. If they can’t inform you that there is no one to see you for your meeting then they are not going to be helpful if you have your wedding there. Don’t book your wedding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Stephanie M

Dear Stephanie M,

I am writing in response to your recent review of your visit to Chateau Impney for a wedding appointment. Whilst I always appreciate constructive feedback as to how we at the hotel can improve our standards of service I am afraid that your review does in no way accurately reflect the situation to which you refer.

After a detailed conversation with our Wedding Co-ordinator, and reading through the email sent to you by her on 14th May, I am disappointed in the version of events you have portrayed. To take your points in order:

1. When making your appointment to view the hotel, which you insisted on being Sunday as it was the only time you could make, you were informed by Emily that she would not be present and that there were events on at the hotel every weekend between now and October thus potentially limiting the spaces you would be able to view. Various alternative times were offered, including Emily offering to work late on any night of your choice to facilitate an evening viewing of the facilities, yet you still chose Sunday.

2. The member of the team who showed you around was correct in pointing out that the hotel bar does not become private for your party as a matter of course, but per the email correspondence Emily had previously sent you, our literature makes it clear that this can be discussed and arranged with the hotel if and when a booking is made; hence the private use of the Grand Bar on Sunday for another function.

3. I offer my apologies regarding the bridal suites not being clean and available for viewing. Whilst we always endeavour to have rooms returned to service as speedily as possible, we do not make a habit of rushing wedding couples to check out following their big day. Late checkouts from both of our Feature Suites was the reason that rooms were not cleaned in time for your appointment.

4. With regards to your comment about not having been provided with pricing, I would be happy to paste an excerpt from the email Emily sent you on 14th May detailing package pricing for all of the wedding packages at the hotel. In respect of accommodation pricing, it is common practice at most wedding venues which offer bedrooms to offer a unique price for wedding guest accommodation based on the time of year of the wedding and the number of bedrooms required. As your enquiry had not progressed beyond the embryonic stage of visiting the hotel for the first time it is entirely appropriate that no accommodation pricing had yet been provided.

I am saddened that your visit did not go as you wished, and at least for the bedroom viewing aspect I offer my apologies. I find it disappointing that instead of speaking to us directly in an effort to address any concerns you may have had you chose to post a review on Tripadvisor but that is of course your prerogative. In address of your final comment, I am very proud of the exceptional levels of hospitality, professionalism and service offered by my team and which is regularly praised both on this forum and directly to the hotel itself.

I would recommend that anybody who wishes to read reviews or comments from brides and grooms who have actually held a wedding at the hotel visit our website, Facebook page or blog where comments and feedback are regularly updated; the overwhelming majority of which offer profuse thanks to the team here for making wedding days so special and memorable.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

After reading all the positive reviews my partner and I were really looking forward to our weekend stay at the hotel. Check in was ok but very difficult to understand the foreign accent of the receptionist. On arrival in our room in the annex, we found it was tiny and dark to say the least and looked out on to the wall of the next building. There was a drawer missing completely out of the chest of drawers and the hair dryer was one of those antiquated ones attached to the bathroom wall and in the end I had to give up trying to dry my hair it was so inefficient. The room looked a bit tatty. One thing that needs rectifying is the towel rail, it was red hot all the time and although we looked, there was no way of turning it off. It was right next to the toilet and both of us burnt our arms on it. If a child touched it, it would be really nasty. In the recent hot spell as well it did not help. We mentioned it on checkout but the receptionist didn't appear to make a note or be bothered. Another thing that disappointed us was the restaurant. It was a special anniversary for us and when we arrived we wanted to book a table on the Saturday night only to be told we couldn't get a table until 8.45pm but this was too late for us. We enquired again on the Saturday just in case there had been any cancellations but were told they still couldn't get us in so we had to put up with a bar meal which wasn't ideal. We wanted a special meal where we could dress up and celebrate. On checking the restaurant several times there were only a few tables occupied all evening so we were a bit upset as to why we couldn't get in. We will not be in the area again as it was a one off event in the area we went to on the Saturday so it was a great disappointment to us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lesley4132
Ben E, General Manager at Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Lesleyannw

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at Chateau Impney. I was disappointed to read some of the comments you made about your stay with us and would like to take the opportunity to respond.

Firstly, I have noted your comments regarding the towel rail in your room and this matter has been flagged to my maintenance team in order to ensure corrective action can be taken should it be appropriate. I note your various comments regarding the room in which you stayed and which was located in our Courtyard building. Whilst I fully appreciate that these rooms lack the grandeur of our recently refurbished Chateau bedrooms; a fact which is reflected in the rate charged for them, I firmly believe that they represent value for money and disagree that they are 'tatty'. I also feel it is fair to point out that full information, including photos of all of our bedrooms is not only available on our own website but on all channels through which it is possible to book accommodation at the hotel.

With regards to your comment about not being able to book a table in our restaurant at your desired time, I am sorry that this was the case, but as a very popular dining destination, the Impney Restaurant & Bar does have limited availability which is why we suggest all guests and customers pre-book a table should it be required. For a special occasion such as was the purpose of your visit, I would have assumed that a booking could have been made in advance. I am afraid I will never apologise for operating a busy and popular restaurant although I am regretful that you were unable to secure a reservation on the night in question. Regarding your comment about the restaurant not being busy when you checked, I am not sure at what times you checked but from the number of diners catered for on the night, I can assure you that the restaurant had a very busy evening indeed.

Thank you again for your feedback, we always endeavour to use it constructively.

Ben Elder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Droitwich
St Andrews Town Hotel
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Stourport-on-Severn
Worcester Whitehouse Hotel

Been to Chateau Impney Hotel & Exhibition Centre? Share your experiences!