“Fantastic Dome Garden Weekend”
Review of Dome Garden

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coleford
Dome Garden
london
“Fantastic Dome Garden Weekend”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My daughter had asked for a camping weekend for her 10th birthday, and after looking on the internet, I discovered the wonderful Dome Garden website. The reality of the 'geodome' tent was even more amazing than I had imagined. Despite icy conditions, and unpredictable April showers, we had the most fun I have had for months, from gathering wood for the fires, to wandering around the magical Forest of Dean that starts at the end of the garden. Everything inside the dome is cool and comfy, and the outdoor 'kitchen' has everything you need. The children adored the 'flying' beds, and the huge bonfire was perfect for roasting marshmellows. My daughter's response to the whole weekend was "that was the best birthday treat I could ever have in my whole life; I want to go there every weekend!"

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 24 April 2012 via mobile

Our whole experience has been first class, from the entertaining website through to one of the best short trips we have ever had. The spacious domes are incredible to live in especially with the wood burning stove, large window on the world, and a big skylight to see the stars. Having 3 fires to play with was SO much fun for the boys and I. The weather wasn't particularly kind but we had a great time none the less with so much fun stuff to do locally. The bike trails are incredible, Puzzlewood was a magical meander, and Clearwell Caves was the perfect answer when it tipped it down all day. The pizza night was a real highlight with the chance to socialise and make your own pizza. I love the different characters of the domes and look forward to returning to try one of the others! For me it delivers everything it claims on the website and more - so chuffed to have discovered this gem in the forest :-)

• Stayed April 2012
Newbury
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you've read other reviews, you'll already know this is a cool place, but not many have mentioned the cost, so I'm going to start there. Yes, if you treat this as a camping holiday it's a lot of money, but the costs are roughly in line with renting a poky Cornish holiday cottage and trust me, you'll have so much more fun here (unless you want to see the sea - that's a fair way off). It's a proper adventure and kids absolutely love it.
We just thought they've got the concept spot on. The domes are genuinely luxurious, but you need to put a bit of effort in to make the most of it - this mainly means keeping the home fires burning so your dome is warm, you have hot water and heat to cook on. It's primitive living for the softies we all know we've become.
And it's such a joyful place to spend time: part Teletubby land, part festival vibe, just a very chilled place. My wife and I thought about coming here without our kids (aged 8 & 7) for a weekend away, but we're so glad we took them: the sense of wonder on their faces when we first got there was just superb and the sense of discovery that never left them for two days was something that’ll stay with them for years. Foraging for dry fire-lighting twigs in the surrounding woods, getting eggs from the chickens and cooking them immediately, seeing a wild boar 30 feet away, watching the stars through the see-through top of the Dome as the wood-burner crackled gently.
Three days of this beats two weeks on a beach hands down for me. It just gets you away from stuff, but lets you keep that element of luxury. There's loads to do nearby, including a superb mountain bike centre, but you could easily just hole up in the garden with a drink and marvel at the design of the domes before making your own pizzas and lobbing them in the pizza oven.
Sorry, I've rambled on for too long, but before we went I baulked at spending this much to go camping. Now I can't think of anything I'd rather spend my money doing.

London
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We read all the rave reviews, but our experience wasn't very favourable. Everything seemed disorganised and haphazard, not at all what we'd been led to believe on the website. To be fair, we went the first week it was open after the winter, and it did actually snow one morning, which didn't help. But our dome had huge holes in it, which when I pointed it out, they stuck some tape over it. Unfortunately they missed a bit, and after one night of torrential rain, the roof had leaked all over my daughter's bed, and her duvet was soaking the next morning. We couldn't get the water very hot either - maybe we are just incompetent - but in any case the bathroom was so glacial that we didn't fancy undressing there! Finally, there seemed a shortage of equipment - mugs, chopping knife, scissors - that sort of thing - we'd have brought our own if we'd known. Pity, as we'd really looked forward to it, but had to leave early - the soaking bed was the last straw.

10 Thank FJ10
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Fantastic weekend glamping in the Dome Garden - part luxury, part camping, with a dash of the Famous Five Go Native. We stayed on the last weekend of March and woke up to frosts but with a huge wood burning stove inside our domes we were warm as toast. In fact the dome is so lovely with views of the stars we spent our evenings there rather than in any of the nearby pubs or restaurants.
You have to like building fires at this time of year (tip: ask for firelighters if you're a novice!) - all part of the attraction - and you really feel you deserve that shower after heating up the boiler yourself!
The domes are situated right in the forest and its many tracks but it's also useful to be fairly near to Coleford for any shopping. Everything is provided for cooking and eating and each dome has a covered decking area with table and chairs. We sat outside even in March - after all, we kept warm by fire stoking, woodpile visits and searching for our champagne corks!
We had 2 domes and the place to ourselves which was lovely - but all agreed it still would be nice to see other domes lit up with neighbours and share Ray Mears tips (and we're not the friendliest of campers!).

It is such a relaxing place and we would love to have taken our kids there before they grew up (they still came and loved it). However I'm already planning my next big birthday there - it's just an amazing place to visit with your friends and family.

Room Tip: We looked at all the domes and none stood out as better. However a new type, partly underground was...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2011

In short, if you like fresh air, roaring fires, camp fire cooking made easy and falling asleep full of home made pizza and red wine, this is the place for you. We took our kids (9 & 7) for October half term and had a great time despite changeable weather.

Although you are expected to be semi-self sufficient, the hospitality at the DG is fabulous and the easy going hosts and their family make everyone feel extremely welcome.

We could have amused ourselves simply collecting wood, making fires, cooking and relaxing in the very friendly camp, but the location is also ideal for exploring the Forest of Dean and surrounding area. Highlight of our week was the family cycle trail but the Garden is also on the doorstep of the renowned 'Verderer's Trail' mountain bike which is an absolute must for off-road enthusiasts.....pack your helmet and hire bikes if you can't be bothered to bring your own
wheels.

Looking forward to returning in 2012 both with and without the family....the latter trip to include my own bike this time.....!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank ShornConnery
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect when we took ourselves off for the Bank Holiday week in August. We had been camping before but I am a girl who likes an ensuite with fluffy duvets and we found that here. We took an 11 and 13 year old with us, that week they were the oldest of the "kids" but that didn't stop them. The area is well laid out, with just enough privacy if you want to be on your own or social if you don't. The place was full so I can't comment on how quiet it would be otherwise, my favourite new line is "I do love the sound of zip wire in the morning" as our dome was closest to the tree house. I was slightly envious of the other domes as they had been upgraded to a hot plate with rocket stove and we just had the single "ring". That being said I made chili and spaghetti bolognase, popped popcorn and made eggs so I was pretty proud of myself. We lived by the mantra "stick or starve" and I would suggest gathering your wood up early so you aren't hunting in the dark. Lighting the bonfire was a real treat and I got to be the "s'mores Lady" bringing my American know how of campfire cookery to the Domes. All in all the surrounding area was beautiful, we went to Go-Ape and the bike centre, which were easy to get to. Plan your meals ahead, relax, unwind, keep warm and enjoy would be my best advice. Jonny, our host, was so very helpful and we left jealous that we couldn't stay longer. We will be back next year for certain. It was an excellent way to spend a birthday!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lennox'smom
JonnyClothier, Owner at Dome Garden, responded to this review, 7 November 2011
HI There, Thanks so much for reviewing us here and really glad you had a great time. It's just great when people throw themselves into the spirit of what we are doing here so thoroughly - as you all did.

Well done with the cooking too. You are right about the new hotplates - they are an improvement as they give you two cooking options but I still think the simplicity of the original makes them easier to use. You'll be pleased to know though that for next year we have hotplates attached to all the stoves, as well as some slightly larger chimineas for each dome.

It means you can use them all at the same time to make more complex meals and even bake things and cook potatoes. One of the guests managed to use all three - plus the top of the chiminea chimney - to cook some cracking three course cordon bleu meals which even we were in awe of!! Sets the bench mark up a notch for next year though!

Oh and we've moved the zip wires too. There will be more of them next year - to spread the joy! - but they will pretty much be attached to individual domes and only functioning from 10am too 6pm for the very reason you pointed out! Next year it will just be the sound of the birds in the dawn chorus that wake you up in the morning.

Very best wishes and hope we do indeed see you again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
The Speech House Hotel
#3 of 10 in Coleford
Forest House
Forest House
#2 of 10 in Coleford

Been to Dome Garden? Share your experiences!