“Relaxing break away”

The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Having just spent 3 nights here we thought the hotel was brilliant. The staff so friendly and helpful.
The meals were excellent and the chef deserves the highest praise. The forest and surrounding countryside is so beautiful the whole experience was so relaxing we didn't,t want to leave. We felt like part of a large family it was a special experience. Speech House has found the right formula from customer service, price, professionalism and all the staff seem to enjoy the House and they work as a team. Our thanks to everyone at Speech House and we look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christine C
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2013

Dear Christine C,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your very complimentary comments in your review which I have passed on to all of our team.
We try to ensure that all of our guests feel well looked after have a relaxing stay.
We look forward to welcoming you both back on your return in the not too distant future.
Hoping you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Director/proprietior

Reviewed 5 June 2013

You can't do anything about the weather but the hotel was warm comfortable and breakfast was lovely. I wanted to stay in the house so I had to put up with a lot of stairs. Next time I would book a four poster as I loved the house. I had afternoon tea in the conservatory. Staff were efficient. The young man who served me afternoon tea was cheerful. I asked out the trees planted by the queen but he did not know about them.

Room Tip: This hotel is very old and does not have any lifts so if you can't climb stairs tell them when b...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Bucket72
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Bucket 72,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met and exceeded your expectations.
I appreciate the main house has no lift to the upper floors and we do try to ensure the guests are aware of this when booking. It is a listed building and sadly back in 1669 no one thought about making provision for a lift.
Glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea in the Orangery and that the staff were friendly and helpful.
The trees have a long history, the largest oak with the head stone was grown from acorns from an oak tree in a park in Hertfordshire which was planted to mark the reign of Queen Victoria. The tree with the headstone was grown and planted from that tree to commemorate the life of Prince Albert.
Subsequent acorns from that tree were nurtured to provide the trees planted by Queen Mary in 1940 and by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1957.
Nelson also used to visit the Royal Forest when residing in Newport and requested that the government of the day planted more Oak trees to to enable the navy to built more timber ships.
End of history lesson, I hope that answers your question on the history of the Oak Trees opposite the Hotel,it is an amazing area steeped in history. .
Thank you once again for leaving such a positive review on your stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

A fairly small country house hotel expanded with comfortable small rooms around courtyard and car park, and a good price for the service provided and the prime location. Room clean and well presented, comfortable.
Food at each meal was excellent, and serving staff were efficient, responsive and engaged - it's refreshing to find such intelligent staff in all roles, using their own judgment to give visitors the best possible service.
Special thanks to the 'night porter' who is also a first-rate bar manager, and to the serving staff who coped with a lively birthday party coinciding with a large wedding in the marquee.
Wifi in the room would have been expensive (helpful signs to that effect) and intermittent mobile phone signals, which made for a relaxing weekend for me, but might no suit everyone.
I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early, perhaps avoid rooms nearest the marquee if there's a wedding or party; t...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brian E
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Dear Brian E,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you were very happy with your accommodation, food and service provided by our team.
We do recruit local people from the area and it is good to know that our training has born fruit. We are extremely lucky o be able to employ local people as they can impart their local knowledge to all our guests.
It was indeed a very busy weekend with a wedding and a birthday party and I am sorry if you were disturbed in any way.
The Courtyard rooms are normally the first choice for people attending a function in the marquee and I hope you were advised when booking that a function was taking place.
We look forward to you returning to the Speech House in the near future and I have passed on your most generous comments to all our team.
Thanks again for your review.
Director/proprietor.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have just returned home following a 3 night stay here. Hotel has a fantastic location, in the heart of the forest of dean. We had a lovely room, breakfast was v good quality but what made it extra special were the very friendly, helpful and hard working staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank sunnydelightuk
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear Sunnydelight UK.
I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and that you found both your room and food excellent and that our hard working team looked after you both very well.
I have passed your kind comments on to our team.
The area around the hotel with all its trails through the Royal Forest is amazing and on the doorstep. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you once again for leaving your review and I am glad we were able to make your stay a good one.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights midweek at the beginning of March. We had booked the hotel advising that we wished to use our Tesco reward vouchers which we were told by the receptionist would be acceptable. What we were not informed was that we could only use upto the value of £99 per night, which was our first surprise and disappointment. I had booked a 4 poster room as a special treat, however on booking in we found we had a courtyard room, which seemed a little cramped and was somewhat swamped by the bed. To make matters worse on inspection of the bathroom I discovered an unclean urinal (unusual itself in a hotel en-suite) and further "deposits" in the toilet bowl. This along with the thick deposit of dust on all the fittings made it obvious that this had not be cleaned and was pretty disgusting. However the staff were very apologetic and did deal with it promptly. They moved us to one of their 4 poster suites in the main house, which they gave to us at the price of £99 per night due to the fact that we had been wrongy informed as to the use of our vouchers. All seemed well and it was a beautifully furnished room, with the most enormous bed, plus a dressing area and en suite bathroom. However, although beautiful to look at the bed was the most uncomfortable one I've had the misfortune to try to sleep on. The mattress was so firm it felt like sleeping on the floor, and as a consequence I got very little sleep. The TV was on top of a chest of drawers across the room, but as this is a very large room was TV was far too small - you would have needed binoculars to read the subtitles if you chose to watch TV from the bed! We also had a problem in the bathroom with the toilet cistern, as it would take at least 15 minutes to refill after flushing, which is not helpful when there are 2 of you sharing the loo! However, by this time I did not feel I could complain again, so we put up with it. The room is also on the main road, so the passing traffic is quite noisy, but it does die down quite a lot during the night. Also the door at the top of the stairs was right outside our bedroom door - this has a heavy closer on it, and tends to bang each time someone goes through. So we were woken fairly early by staff we presume going back and forth. The hotel is tired and we felt could do with a lot closer attention to detail if they wish to classify themselves as a "luxury" hotel. The tea tray in the room was cheap and cheerful, like something you would expect in a Travlelodge, not a luxury hotel. Also the toiletries in the bathroom were meager and cheap looking. There were some beautiful bits of furniture mixed in with cheap and cheerful - again very strange. The cooked breakfast was cooked nicely and of a good portion size. But again the selection on the buffet table could have been better for a luxury hotel - we have experienced far better for far less money. We did find the staff to be friendly and helpful in the main. The uniforms are somewhat confusing. We weren't sure if we were speaking to a receptionist or the chambermaid. On the whole we were not impressed by the quality of the hotel. The room lacked many of the finishing touches, and the public areas were tired and tatty. I used the toilets in the reception area which has obviously recently been refurbished, but no-one had thought to replace/paint the rusty metal window frames, and the plastic paper towel dispenser gave it a cheapened feel. We would not stay at this hotel again, not even at the discounted price we were given.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SandraRy

Dear SandaRy,
Thank you for leaving a review of your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was extremely disappointed to learn that we failed to meet your expectations on your recent stay. If I may respond to some of the points you raise as follows:-
Firstly I can only apologise for your initial 4 poster courtyard room bathroom falling below our normal high housekeeping standards. I have reviewed our room checking procedure to ensure this does not happen again. The buck stops with me and I have acted accordingly. With regard to the Gents urinal in the bathroom of the Courtyard 4 poster, it was installed by the previous owners and certainly creates a talking point.
With regard to your Tesco Vouchers the full details are always included in the small print by the voucher company and had you queried it when making the booking it would have been further explained by our reception team.
You were indeed upgraded to one of our recently refurbished antique 4 poster rooms, room 4 in the main house.
When refurbished, we purchased a brand new 7' x 7' specially made mattress for the antique 4 poster and we have received nothing but compliments from our regular guests on the sleep quality of the new one.
The TV is a brand new 32" positioned so it can be watched from either the bed, the sofa or the armchairs and its position on the chest of drawers ensured it was at the correct height.
At no point do we consider ourselves a "Luxury" hotel but as a country house hotel offering great service and good value for money,
It would appear that we did not meet your expectations for which I can only apologise once again, but our team whatever uniform they may be wearing, whatever position they may hold within the team always try their hardest to ensure the guest has a great stay.
Thank you once again for leaving your review.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

a most impressive hotel, Very stylish. Although we only had coffee and a pot of tea, we were grateful to discover such a possible treasure. I was given the hotel brochure and pricing lists. I feel certain we shall stay here in the future.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Braithwaite12,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit to The Speech House.
I was delighted that you decided to stay for refreshments and get a feel for the hospitality of our team and surroundings.
The hotel is steeped in history, and at the very heart of the Royal Forest offering many walking and cycling trails from the front door.
We look forward to you returning to stay in the future, please check out our web site for special offers.
Once again thanks for your review.

Reviewed 21 May 2013

Living on the doorstep, we haven't thought to visit this local gem, but walking in the forest nearby we decided to stop for tea.What a delight, we succumbed to an afternoon tea and how spoilt did we feel? lovely china and wonderful scones, lashing of tea and even homemade biscuits. Will definitely be back for more of the same. thank you

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2013

Dear William,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent visit to the Speech House Hotel.
It was good to learn that you discovered us and that you felt to be made special by our team.
Delighted to learn you enjoyed your cream tea, some things are just to good not to indulge in.
Please make us one of your regular haunts and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Once again thank you for leaving such a positive review which I have circulated to our team.
Director/Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
Glewstone Court
Glewstone Court
#1 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Thornbury Castle and Tudor Gardens

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!