“Colorful Hotel Location”

GreenLeadersGold level
BRIDGTON
“Colorful Hotel Location”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Didn't stay in the Main House but a motel like room in the back, so can't really judge the main colorful old house. Only ate the bountiful breakfast, which came as a "Bed and Breakfast," and that was superb and delicious. They do have a restaurant and small bar, which arriving late ment that we had eaten elsewhere. To get the whole atmosphere, staying at the house would have been more acceptable. Room was clean and quite up to date as it happened to be outfitted for a disabled (which we weren't) person.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear PunkyB44,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay at the Speech House.
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit to the Speech House and enjoyed your bountiful breakfast.
The hotel was extremely busy during your stay and enquiries revealed that you booked through a third party who do not specify to our reception what type of room is preferred.
We do try to upgrade guests to the main house if there is availability, but when booking it is always best to specify what type of room you desire.
We do indeed have a cosy bar along side the modern Orangery and the main restaurant is the historical Verderers Court.
I hope you will return to the Speech House again in the future and book one of the rooms in the main house.
I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Yours sincerely
Director/Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Preston, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2013

We attended a wedding here, which was brilliant, food etc all good. We stayed in a 4 poster court yard room, and as my partner had booked it I think he was a bit disappointed it wasn't in the original part of the building. It was clean and tidy, if a bit dated, although the bathroom was very modern with a 'his n hers' sinks and toilets. Breakfast was okay -nothing to write home about. In all I expected better (no idea how much it was because I didn't pay)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Dear Carol R,
Thank you for leaving a review of your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the wedding you attended and found everything met with your expectations regarding the wedding and the service provided by our team.
I am sorry that you felt your partner was a "Little Disappointed" at not being in the main house 4 poster rooms.
If when making the reservation he had asked for a superior 4 poster room in the main house we would have done our best to accommodate his request. The 4 posters in the Courtyard are slightly less expensive.
I am sorry that you appeared to have been disappointed with your breakfast. We constantly manage customer feedback and try where specific issues are brought to our attention to improve on things.
I hope that you and your partner will return to the Speech House some time in the future and that he will treat you to a stay in one of our antique 4 poster rooms in the main house.
Thank you once again for taking time to leave feedback on your stay with us.
Director/proprietor
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Went for a meal last weekend - food was excellent with very generous portions and an interesting menu. The sorbets and ice-creams are particularly delicious.

Service was superb and with nothing being too much trouble. Will definitely return when in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2013
Dear JCB885
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit to us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and your meal.
The ice creams and sorbets are sourced locally and I am glad you enjoyed them.
I have passed on your very kind comments regarding the service you received to our team and the kitchen brigade.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Having just spent 3 nights here we thought the hotel was brilliant. The staff so friendly and helpful.
The meals were excellent and the chef deserves the highest praise. The forest and surrounding countryside is so beautiful the whole experience was so relaxing we didn't,t want to leave. We felt like part of a large family it was a special experience. Speech House has found the right formula from customer service, price, professionalism and all the staff seem to enjoy the House and they work as a team. Our thanks to everyone at Speech House and we look forward to a return visit soon.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine C
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
Dear Christine C,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your very complimentary comments in your review which I have passed on to all of our team.
We try to ensure that all of our guests feel well looked after have a relaxing stay.
We look forward to welcoming you both back on your return in the not too distant future.
Hoping you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
Director/proprietior
Bideford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2013

You can't do anything about the weather but the hotel was warm comfortable and breakfast was lovely. I wanted to stay in the house so I had to put up with a lot of stairs. Next time I would book a four poster as I loved the house. I had afternoon tea in the conservatory. Staff were efficient. The young man who served me afternoon tea was cheerful. I asked out the trees planted by the queen but he did not know about them.

Room Tip: This hotel is very old and does not have any lifts so if you can't climb stairs tell them when b...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bucket72
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear Bucket 72,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we met and exceeded your expectations.
I appreciate the main house has no lift to the upper floors and we do try to ensure the guests are aware of this when booking. It is a listed building and sadly back in 1669 no one thought about making provision for a lift.
Glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea in the Orangery and that the staff were friendly and helpful.
The trees have a long history, the largest oak with the head stone was grown from acorns from an oak tree in a park in Hertfordshire which was planted to mark the reign of Queen Victoria. The tree with the headstone was grown and planted from that tree to commemorate the life of Prince Albert.
Subsequent acorns from that tree were nurtured to provide the trees planted by Queen Mary in 1940 and by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in 1957.
Nelson also used to visit the Royal Forest when residing in Newport and requested that the government of the day planted more Oak trees to to enable the navy to built more timber ships.
End of history lesson, I hope that answers your question on the history of the Oak Trees opposite the Hotel,it is an amazing area steeped in history. .
Thank you once again for leaving such a positive review on your stay.
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

A fairly small country house hotel expanded with comfortable small rooms around courtyard and car park, and a good price for the service provided and the prime location. Room clean and well presented, comfortable.
Food at each meal was excellent, and serving staff were efficient, responsive and engaged - it's refreshing to find such intelligent staff in all roles, using their own judgment to give visitors the best possible service.
Special thanks to the 'night porter' who is also a first-rate bar manager, and to the serving staff who coped with a lively birthday party coinciding with a large wedding in the marquee.
Wifi in the room would have been expensive (helpful signs to that effect) and intermittent mobile phone signals, which made for a relaxing weekend for me, but might no suit everyone.
I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: If you go to bed early, perhaps avoid rooms nearest the marquee if there's a wedding or party; t...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Brian E
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Brian E,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House Hotel.
I was delighted to read that you were very happy with your accommodation, food and service provided by our team.
We do recruit local people from the area and it is good to know that our training has born fruit. We are extremely lucky o be able to employ local people as they can impart their local knowledge to all our guests.
It was indeed a very busy weekend with a wedding and a birthday party and I am sorry if you were disturbed in any way.
The Courtyard rooms are normally the first choice for people attending a function in the marquee and I hope you were advised when booking that a function was taking place.
We look forward to you returning to the Speech House in the near future and I have passed on your most generous comments to all our team.
Thanks again for your review.
Director/proprietor.
surrey, uk
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have just returned home following a 3 night stay here. Hotel has a fantastic location, in the heart of the forest of dean. We had a lovely room, breakfast was v good quality but what made it extra special were the very friendly, helpful and hard working staff.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank sunnydelightuk
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Sunnydelight UK.
I was delighted to read that you had a great stay and that you found both your room and food excellent and that our hard working team looked after you both very well.
I have passed your kind comments on to our team.
The area around the hotel with all its trails through the Royal Forest is amazing and on the doorstep. I am glad you enjoyed it.
Thank you once again for leaving your review and I am glad we were able to make your stay a good one.
Yours sincerely
Director/Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Bells Hotel and the Forest of Dean Golf & Bowls Club
#10 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Brooks Country House
Brooks Country House
#1 of 1 in Sellack

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!