“Cheeky weekend away”

GreenLeadersGold level
South Wales
“Cheeky weekend away”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Had a lovely weekend here. We booked one of their special offers "Explorer break package" which was great value for money and were upgraded to a four poster room in the main hotel, although did find it a tad noisy with the busy main road outside, however we weren't in the room very much. We had to take a double take in the bar as Greg Wallace was staying there and had a special dinner taking place on the Saturday night and although we hadn't booked for that, it was great to bump into him on the Sunday at the food festival taking place in the field next door to the hotel. Our room was comfortable, the staff were great and the food was delicious.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear Dejaviewhousehold,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
Firstly I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Explorer Break and thought it was great value for money.
Sometimes the road in front of the hotel does get busy and can be a little noisy but it did not seem to cause you too many problems. The building is listed and it is difficult to get permission to install double glazing, however it is still work in progress.
I am pleased you enjoyed your four poster room.
Your comments on great staff and delicious food are very much appreciated. I have conveyed them back to all of our team.
Gregg Wallace, was indeed staying for the weekend. Gregg very kindly was hosting the pre Forest Showcase,Food Festival Dinner we were holding and then opening the event on our field the following day. He has become a good friend and enjoys his escape to the Royal Forest of Dean. He enjoyed his stay and once again has asked to be invited back to next years event.
He is as you discovered great fun.
Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back when you next decide to take a "Cheeky Break".
Director/Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
Cirencester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Popped in for lunch with the in-laws. A busy service for the team, but very welcoming indeed. The menu is fairly extensive, although pretty bland from my view. The food itself was of decent enough quality, served in a good time frame, but lacked a bit of imagination...plus my side salad had been dressed for me, which annoys me (it's a personal thing!). I'd like to give the whole experience a 3.5 as it's above average, but not good enough to be very good. The orangery is stunning by the way.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Andy H
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit & lunch in our Orangery.
I am pleased to read that our team although very busy provided you with good friendly service.
Our menu offers a wide selection of traditional food, each dish cooked fresh from ordering. I am sorry that in your view you thought it pretty bland, but we try to cater for all tastes. The menu for the Orangery is wholesome food using local produce. I am sorry that it did not appear imaginative enough for you but food is as you say with your salad being pre-dressed is a personal thing.
I am glad you found our Orangery stunning and the service good. Thank you for giving your rating on your meal, which I have conveyed to our Head Chef.
Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My father was from the Forest of Dean, so when work gave me a trip to Gloucester I thought I'd take the chance to stay in this place of significance that I'd heard so much about. I arrived after the kitchen had closed, but the staff were very helpful in getting me a plate of sandwiches.

Tired, I headed to my room in the outside block and I'm afraid to say that it seemed a little grubby, it was cold and worst of all there was an unpleasant smell which kept me awake. I wish I'd had the energy to complain, but I wrote it off as one of those disappointing nights I've had in provincial hotels.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank dougM1962
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear DougM 1962,Thank you for leaving a review on your stay at the Speech House.
I was extremely concerned to learn from your review of your experience in one of our courtyard rooms.
I am unsure of what time you arrived but had you rung reception on discovering the unpleasant odour we would have immediately moved you to another room. I have asked my housekeeper and maintenance team to explore the source of the problem.
I am glad my Night Porter was able to fix you up with some sandwiches and refreshments.
Once again my apologies that you encountered a problem but I would assure you my team and I work extremely hard not to be as you say "just another provincial Hotel" but to ensure our guests are happy and if there is a problem that we rectify it as soon as we are made aware.
I do hope you will return when next in Gloucestershire to enable us to show you this was a blip on our part.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We came to The Speech House for a Gala dinner with Phil Vickery and Greg Wallace. We arrived to a champagne reception and very warmly greeted by Peter and Gill. The food was outstanding and very delicious. Compliments to all the staff for such a wonderful evening. Thoroughly recommend a visit you will not be disappointed. A must visit!

• Stayed October 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Hotson99,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent experience at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had a great evening with Gregg Wallace & Phil Vickery at our pre Forest Showcase Gourmet Dinner.
It was a pleasure to meet you and the guests on your table on the evening.
Thank you for your very kind compliments about the quality of the food and the service afforded you by our team.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the near future.
Thanks again for leaving a review.
Director/ Proprietor
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were in the Forest of Dean for my parents Ruby wedding anniversary and booked lunch at the speech house as my parents had stayed there some years ago and remembered a wonderful stay. I emailed to enquire about decorations and a cake being supplied and the staff could not have been more helpful. When we arrived the table had been decorated beautifully and at the end of the meal they presented my parents with an amazing gateaux cake. The meal was excellent and the waiting staff very friendly. The location is also second to none as it it right in the Forest, surrounded by beautiful walks.

• Stayed September 2013
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Colek321,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you were extremely happy with your parents ruby wedding and it revived happy memories.
Thank you for your very kind comments on the cake, my Head Chef was pleased to know you had enjoyed it.
Thank you also for your very positive comments on how the team looked after you when making your booking and on the day of your parents celebration.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the future.
Thanks again for leaving feedback which I have passed on to our team.
wiltshire
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We had a good lunch here on a Saturday. The Orangery meal was good, the only quibble was with the liver - I was not asked how I liked it cooked and it came very well done. I guess this is how many of the clientele would like it but generally these days annihilation is not necessary - a bit pink is fine. Just a little reminiscent of school dinners. That said, service was great, staff friendly and having to cope with a large posse of locals demanding drinks etc, as well as casual guests, must put quite a strain on their resources. They had a wedding on - and judging by the previous comments this is likely to be the case on most weekends as it is one of the few places in the area that can adequately service an event like this. Unfortunately these occasions tend to dominate - we could not escape - bride, groom, entourage - they were everywhere!! Very tight squeeze in the loos and corridors - I now know how brides go to the loo in those frocks, but wish I didn't.....!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear barty Wiltshire,
Thanks for leaving a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am pleased to read that you had a good lunch in the Orangery, and that our team looked after you well.
I apologise if your liver was overcooked but yes the majority of our customers prefer it well cooked. I have mentioned to the team from now on to enquire with the guest when taking their order.
The Speech House is popular for weddings and on the day of your visit there was an extremely large one taking place.
Sadly being a listed building I am unable to widen corridors and am certainly unaware how brides manage to go to the loo in wedding dresses.<s>
I am pleased that your party had a good meal and were well looked after and I hope you return to the Speech House. We look forward to welcoming you back
Director / Proprietor
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Had a fantastic evening in the company of Gregg Wallace and Phil Vickery (former England rugby captain). The Speech House Hotel was a brilliant venue and nothing was too much trouble for owners Peter and Gill.
Food was fantastic and the room (a junior suite) was spacious. Slept like a log in a room that was very quiet - despite a long happening in the hotel. Location is excellent.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back. Thank you Peter and Gill - lovely hosts!

Phil and Steph (Dorset)

Room Tip: Think the suites are well worth that bit extra