“A lovely 2 day break”

GreenLeadersGold level
Wareham, United Kingdom
“A lovely 2 day break”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We booked a two day break in the The Forest of Dean staying at The Speech House hotel and were delighted with our choice. From arrival to departure we were extremely well looked after by all members of staff. The bedroom was very spacious and comfortable. The food was well presented and represented very good value. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and hope to return in the near future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny V
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Jenny V,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read your very positive comments which I have relayed to all of the Speech House team.
It is always helpful to receive customer feedback which we use for our staff training to help to improve our customer service.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Director/Proprietor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We really enjoyed our tea here recently. We could choose our sandwiches(my friend is vegetarian). The scones were fabulous with plenty of clotted cream and jam. The cakes were tasty and the elegant tea service china made it really special. The staff were very pleasant.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jill W
Dear Jill W
Thanks for taking to leave a review your recent visit to the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you and your friend enjoyed your afternoon tea and that my team looked after you well.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House in the near future.
Thanks again for taking time to leave feedback.
wolverhampton
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Speech House Hotel was recommended by the owners of the cottage we rented in Cindeford and we were not disappointed. It is a dog friendly, people friendly, delightful restaurant (hotel). We initially dropped in with our little jack russell dog Lillie on Saturday afternoon, We were told it was dog friendly but when we got there, there were no other dogs there, so we were a little apprehensive, we needn't have worried because every member of staff stopped to fuss her with a big warm smile. The staff were very busy serving people but they did it with a warm smile and good hearted banter which was absolutely genuine. Lillie knocked over my hubby's pint which was half full and they didn't even bat an eyelid. One waitress suddenly appeared with a couple of clothes to mop up the spill without any fuss at all. We went back on the night for a meal (minus Lilllie) and ate in the Orangery and very light and airy dining room. Couldn't fault it, the staff, the food, value for rmoney the whole experience. There was one waitress in particular, i think her name is Cassie who served us is an absolute asset to the hotel, if there is an award for waitress of the month she should get it each time. absolutely loved it and would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Wasn't a resident at the hotel so can't comment on the rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank crisrob123
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Crisrob123,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit to The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your visits to the hotel and that both of you and Lillie were all made welcome and well looked after.
Thank you for returning to dine with us, and once again for your very kind comments regarding our team, I have passed on both to Cassie and the others.
We do try to instil into our staff the importance of customer care and to try and go the extra mile to ensure a pleasurable visit.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it is always so useful for us and for the team.
I hope we will see you again in the not to distant future.
Director/Proprietor.
Thornton-Le-Dale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We visited the speech house recently but were very disappointed with the attitude of the waitress. She asked me if we were expecting evening meals and I said no just the afternoon tea. We had our 4 year old grandson with us so my daughter asked if we could have a child's meal or even just a dish of fries. We were told quite curtly no. What she should have told us was that there was a wedding on so they weren't doing cooked meals until later, we would have understood, but she was just very rude. When the afternoon tea arrived it was just dumped on the end of the table, we enjoyed the afternoon tea but not the afternoon as we were made to feel very uncomfortable. We won't be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SusieB53
Dear SusieB53,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I was extremely dismayed to read your feedback, and to how you were greeted and looked after by one of my team.
I have investigated your comments and have found that you were looked after by one of my new members of staff who has yet to attend our customer care training course. I have ensured that she will be attending the course next week.
I can only apologise that on this occasion we fell below our usually high levels of customer care.
It is a pity that you did not seek out my Duty Manager, to appraise her of the situation at the time so that we could have rescued the situation.
As you will see from the majority of reviews our guests are extremely complimentary concerning the levels of service and customer care.
On this occasion it appears we fell well short of the standards required and I am taking all possible steps to ensure we maintain the highest possible levels of customer care.
Once again please accept my apologies.
Reviewed 19 May 2014

The Speech House is local to us as we live in Yorkley. We've just got back from having dinner for two in the Orangery for my husband's 70th birthday.Jules service was sooo friendly and helpful( she even made a 70 today badge for him). We were so impressed that we are hoping to go again next week to celebrate 50 years since we met. Will recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed May 2014
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Hward 1966
Firstly thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent experience at the Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had a great celebration in the Orangery for your Husband's 70th Birthday.
My team always try to go the extra mile for all of our customers and it is great when they get recognition for doing so. I will ensure that Jules learns of your very kind comments.
We will look forward to welcoming you both back for your next milestone celebration.
Thank you once again for your very gracious comments and for taking time to leave a review.
Surrey
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Having had the Afternoon Tea recommend to us, to visited Speech House in anticipation of this lovely traditional British treat.

After not so much being greeted, rather looked down on we were finally offered a table. When a second waitress came round I asked to order the afternoon tea for two, and was rather sternly put in my place and informed that afternoon tea was not available till after 3pm as you can not expect the kitchen to cope with the lunch rush and preparing afternoon teas.

Now despite it being 2.30pm or that the afternoon wasn't available, my problem is being spoken too as if I was something she had just stepped in & the tone in which she spoke.
A simple apology that afternoon tea wasn't available till 3pm, the offer to wait with a cup of tea or even offer the menu in case there was something else we would like to order would of been much nicer.
I'm sure by the other reviews this may of been a one off and I certainly can't judge the whole Speech House experience my this one person, but I would suggest she removes the broom that's stuck up her and has a little customer service training as we got up & walked out and will not return.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nicola S
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear Nicola S,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
Firstly may I apologise for the apparent way you were received and treated on your visit for an afternoon tea.
It was a pity that you did not speak with my front of house manager who was on duty in the Orangery to inform her of your complaint as she would have been able to resolve issue to your satisfaction.
My team do go the extra mile to ensure all of our customers are happy and receive a high standard of service. This is born out by the many complimentary revues we have received. However it would appear on this occasion that you were initially attended to by one of our newest members of staff who is still learning the profession.
I have taken action to ensure that this type of situation does not occur again by carrying out further customer care training with all of our new members of staff.
Once again I apologise that you did not receive our normally high standard of service but feel that your comment concerning a broom was unnecessary and uncalled for!.
As I have said if you had spoken to my front of house manager at the time, with your concerns the problem could have been dealt with there and then and the issue resolved.
I hope that when next in the area you will return and allow us the opportunity to show you the normal levels of hospitality shown by my team.
Highworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We had a great stay here with our dog recently. Staff were so helpful and as we have a big dog were given large accomodation in the courtyard which was great.
Lovely hotel right in the middle of the Forest of Dean so great for walks.
Breakfast was probably one of the very best we have had.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear Sandracul,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team, it is always good to receive customer feedback as it helps us improve our customer care.
So glad to learn that you enjoyed your breakfast which is essential when setting off into the woods with your dog.
As you point out we are in the centre of the Forest and have some 253 miles of walking and cycling trails on our doorstep.
Once again many thanks for your kind comments and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Director/ Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Bells Hotel and the Forest of Dean Golf & Bowls Club
#10 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
DeanGate Motel
DeanGate Motel
#1 of 1 in Lydney

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!