“Utterly unique hotel in the Forest of Dean - the only place to stay!”

The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I do look at this place through rose-tinted glasses as we had our wedding reception here 20 years ago. We are regular, but infrequent visitors - every 10 years we return to the same room.

The Speech House is bursting with character - it has so much heritage - royalty have visited - yet it stays true to its forest roots.

Over the years the accommodation has been developed for the more cost-conscious visitor with modern rooms in the courtyard. It has also been extended with the bright and airy Orangery which is very pleasant.

For us there is only one room to stay in - number 4 - I believe it was called the Oak Room. It has a fantastic, massive four-poster bed that even has little stools to help you climb up into. When sitting in the bay window or lying on the bed, you know that you are in the best room in the Forest of Dean.

The staff: what a fantastic crew. Everyone were polite, helpful and a credit to this unique hotel. It was nice to have a bright and cheery waitress at breakfast, and nice to have such a patient, helpful and understanding waitress at our evening meal who described the more unusual dishes so well that I just had to try them. There were generally plenty of staff around to serve you at the bars and in the Orangery, and only once did we have to wait just a fraction too long before being attended to in the restaurant.

The food: lovely. When we arrived, we were treated to a late-in-the-afternoon cream tea in the garden, and therefore needed no supper. We had breakfasts and an excellent formal dinner in the Verderers' Court - a very interesting room in the hotel. We also had a lunch, again in the garden.

I do look forward to returning again in another 10 years' time.

------

If you are in the vicinity, and can't take the opportunity to stay overnight, do pop in and have a cream tea - you won't be disappointed

( One tiny whinge: the premium rooms really should have free wifi at the price that they are. )

Room Tip: Treat yourself and your dear lady wife (or vice versa) to a stay in a four poster room. Stay two nig...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear AnonymousAgain,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you were well looked after by our team during your stay.
Since taking over the hotel we have continued a rolling refurbishment and maintenance programme which has been a little slower than anticipated due to the economic climate.
Although the Wi Fi code slip shows a small charge we no longer charge guests for Wi Fi.
I thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all of the team.
Since taking over the hotel I have researched the Walnut Four Poster that you mention in room 4 and found that it dates back to circa 1840 although you will be pleased to learn that mattress is somewhat more modern.
Thank you once again for leaving a review and we hope that you return to us in advance of your 10 year cycle.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Overall we had an average stay here. The hotel was described as bespoke but I would say more 'nursing home' - it may be that other rooms were better. The water in the shower was extremely hot and the whole room was dated. On the plus side the bed was comfortable. Wifi was a bit hit and miss. The staff stood out as being friendly and helpful.i was given a 10% off voucher when I checked out but felt even with this the hotel was overpriced ( May be due to the location of Forest of Dean??) - the area was lovely but I would not stay here again

Room Tip: We stayed in outside converted coach house - I would suggest a room in the hotel itself may be bette...
1  Thank lesleyloolu

Dear Lesleyloolu,
I am sorry that you felt your room was dated and that the water was hot and it did not meet your expectations.
Wi fi is I agree a little hit and miss in the hotel even though we have invested heavily in its installation it does not travel well through such thick historical walls, however we are always trying to improve its performance.
I am delighted that you found our team helpful and friendly and that you found the bed comfortable.
We offer all our guests a discount return voucher and I am sorry to learn that you will not be taking advantage of it and will not be returning.
Once again I apologise that we failed to meet your expectations but thank you for taking time to leave a review.
Director/Proprietor.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at the Speech House at the beginning of July as my younger Sister was getting married there - and what a weekend it was.

From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome, that nothing was too much and that we were the most important people in the venue for the day - and this was just walking in the door!

The food was phenomenal throughout the day, from the various canapés through to the main meal in the marquee, and once again the service was second to none. Add into this the bar service which was fast but attentive and all in all, we all had a fantastic day.

Finally, the rooms - wow. This was the first time I've ever stayed in a hotel where the room temperature was perfect, the bed was comfortable and the duvet not too heavy - really adding a fantastic finish to the evening.

My wife and I left very happy with the Speech House, and have plans to return for sure - and with my parents 40th wedding anniversary coming up....well it looks like another function for them!

Room Tip: The rooms outside the main building are lovely.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Dave N
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Dave N,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us when you attended your younger sisters wedding.
I am delighted to read that you were made to feel welcome from the moment you arrived and that my team looked after you extremely well throughout your stay.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of our team, it is always good for them to know the guests comments and spurs them on even more.
Glad you both slept well and that you were happy with your room.
We would be delighted to cater for your parents special event and also to welcome you both back to the Speech House soon.
Thanks again for your very gracious comments.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I had a lovely stay here during a friend's wedding. We stayed in the Cottage section, so not in the actual hotel itself but only a 1 minute walk across the car park. The room was large and the bathroom was huge. The bed was very comfy, which is the most important thing.

The breakfast was great! Lots of choice of breads, fresh toast, fruit, fresh pastries and the standard hot full English that was self serve. I'm not sure if this was something for the wedding or if it's standard but it was fantastic!

We got a free wifi pass from the hotel reception for the duration of our stay. On the actual receipt it said £10 for 24 hours but they didn't charge us so I'm not sure if it was free due to the wedding party or for everyone. They even gave me free batteries when my camera flash ran out so a big bonus there!

Overall a wonderful stay and a great location in the Dean forest as well.

Room Tip: The cottage has lovely large rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear John& Sophie Traveller,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the wedding party and that you had a great nights sleep in the Cottage.
When the hotel is full we do operate a hot buffet style operation and always try to offer a wide selection of continental choices too. I am delighted that you both enjoyed.
We do offer free WI Fi but the code comes from a printer which we are unable to alter I am afraid, I am sorry for any confusion the print out may have caused.
I am delighted we were able to help you out with batteries for your camera, so that you were able to record the happy event.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all our team and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House.
Director/Proprietor.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Fantastic location slap bang in the middle of The Forest of Dean. Excellent room with a large four poster bed that required a foot stool for the wife to get in it - well she is only 5 feet tall. I got in the dog house the first morning when she went to get up and vanished off the side of the bed ;-)

The entire staff were genuinely excellent. Naturally friendly and only too pleased to chat. The food was absolutely marvellous.

We couldn't have asked for a better hotel and when George behind the bar remembers what you drink and you're only on a three night stay that's pretty impressive ;-)

Nice to find a dog friendly hotel as well - albeit we don't have a dog.

Surrounding area beautiful. 5 minutes to The Cotswolds and only an hours drive to Oxford if you want to go further afield.

Recommended The Speech House to my neighbour who has got a dog - although, as I walk her dog she seems keen for the me and the wife to take her. The hotel has these converted outbuildings if you want to take your hound with you.

Could waffle on all day about it.

The Speech House Hotel. Bloody marvellous (and no, they didn't slip me a crisp 20 to say this)

We're going back soon as!

Room Tip: You'll pay more for a four poster room obviously. Worth every penny mind you!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fourdinners
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Fourdiners,
I am delighted that you had a great stay with us and that our team looked after you well.
Yes the 4 poster you had dates back to circa 1840 although we have replaced the 7 x 7 foot mattress since then <s>
We do ensure that there are small stools available to assist in getting in and out of the bed. You really should have told her!! <s>
We are a dog friendly hotel indeed and should you want to return and your neighbour doesn't want to let you bring her dog and you feel your missing out I will lend you our Cairn...
Seriously, we are delighted that you enjoyed everything about your stay with us and I have passed on your very kind comments to all of the team.
Perhaps you may consider our forthcoming "Discover Antiques with the BBC's Kate Bliss " break which is at the end of September 2014. The leaves in the Forest should be just on the turn and provide a canvas of colour.
Thanks again for your review, we look forward to you returning soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Been back to the Speech House today, first time for a while, for lunch. Pleased to say everything is still up to a high standard. Staff polite and friendly, food excellent with a good well priced choice and a cheesecake to die for. Must say that as an cheesecake lover when seeing a Red Peppercorn cheesecake on the menu I had my doubts but it was superb. Just enough peppercorn to give a slight bite to it but not enough to spoil the taste, well done to who ever prepared it. Will certainly return and do not hesitate in recommending The Speech House. Keep up the high standard well done.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear Newinn,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your latest visit to the Speech House.
It is always rewarding both for myself and the team when one reads a review from someone who has been on more than one occasion and who has found that we have maintained our reputation for quality and service.
I too had my doubts regarding the Red Pepper Corn Cheesecake however like you I found it tasted amazing.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your lunch and I have passed on your very gracious comments to my team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Last minute trip and we decided to return to the beautiful Forest of Dean. Speech House has changed with more rooms at the back of the hotel and an Orangery on the side of the hotel. Friendly staff, attentive service and a good selection of meals. The issue of a missing hair-dryer in our room was resolved quickly.
Breakfast was excellent - however when asked for 2 eggs scrambled, I received a very large plate of scrambled eggs - must have been large hens that laid them :-)

Gripes - the room was warm and if I had opened the windows it was easy to get into the room. Also - I am always worried about stains that appear above floor level, so please check the bedside lamp side in room 20 - stains all over it.

Overall a lovely, but short stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in the courtyard rooms - but they are in the car park area so if the hotel is busy you may...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Janeew663,
Many thanks for leaving a review on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay and had been well looked after by our team during your stay with us.
I apologise for the missing free standing hair dryer, it appears that it was removed by the previous guests however, it should have been picked up by housekeeping. I am glad we were able to resolve the issue promptly for you.
Yes, Forest chickens provide the best and biggest eggs:) and I am glad you enjoyed them along with your other meals.
We look forward to your return, hopefully in the near future, please do not wait another 20 years before returning.
Director/Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 12 in Ross-on-Wye
Brooks Country House
Brooks Country House
#1 of 1 in Sellack

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!