“Nice lunch!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Speech House Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Speech House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Coleford
GreenLeadersGold level
Andover, United Kingdom
“Nice lunch!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stopped here yesterday, 12th Aug. Food was very good but I wish the veggie burger on the menu said it was spicey and it came in a chibata roll. I've had mouth cancer and find both difficult to deal with, my husband had to eat top half of the roll as chibata goes tough very quick, the home made veg burger was more than flavour sum and would off been lovely with just a bit les raw hotness to it.
Just one more thing, the sign outside says food all day, but some people were served drinks and then told they were to late for food as a funeral party was coming in, it was only 1.30 I think it would be a good idea to tell people this when they arrive, but on the other hand if it's says food all day then you should be able to have food.
Oh I've just remembered I don't like to see dogs in restaurants people stroke and pat them and then you don't know if they have washed hands after when serving!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
2 Thank Baltinettles
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Neltesbalitifan,
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent visit to the Speech House.
I am sorry to hear that you had trouble with the Veggie Burger being in a Chibata Roll and that you found it a little too spicey. I wish you had spoken to one of my team who would have done there very best to assist had we known of your problem.
With regard to "People being served drinks and being told no food was available. We had a large influx of customers all at the same time and the kitchen is only able to work their way through the orders as everything is freshly prepared.
We did indeed have a funeral party of 150 due to arrive around then which added to the kitchens pressure. Customers were not refused food but told there would be a slight delay in taking their orders but they would be taken care of. We do serve hot food from 12 noon until 9pm however on the odd occasion there may be the odd delay as we never know how many guests we will have to cater for. As I would like to point out once again everything is cooked from fresh using local produce.
Due to our position in the heart of the Royal Forest we have many walkers and guests turn up with their dogs. Whilst we do allow well behaved pets in the garden and Orangery (Where you were seated) we do not allow them in our two other restaurants.
I hope that I have satisfactorily answered the points you raised.
I am glad you thought the food was very good and we look forward to you returning in the future.
Thanks once again for your feedback.
Director/Proprietor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
West Country
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We recently visited the Speech House for a cream tea on my husbands birthday. We were greeted by very friendly staff. We sat in the Orangery overlooking the garden, which was very pleasant. We enjoyed scones with clotted cream and jam which tasted divine and were stuffed by the time we were finished. We found it very reasonably priced with very attentive and professional staff. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WestCountryJulie
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear West Country Julie,
Many thanks for leaving a review of your recent visit to us at the Speech House.
I am so glad you enjoyed your recent visit to us and that you enjoyed your cream tea.
It is good to know that my team looked after you well, and that you felt it was good value for money.
Sadly our gardens have been battered by the rain but we will do our best to restore them before your next visit.
Thanks again for your very kind comments which I have passed on to the team.
We look forward to you both returning.
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

A very sad day today attending a family funeral but went back to the Speech House afterwards which was amazing. The Orangery is a beautiful conservatory on the side of the hotel with access to the garden. We had private use of the Orangery with a really good buffet. Sandwiches, quiche, sausage rolls, hot chicken, gala pie, scotch eggs etc etc. replenished more than once during the function. To follow, scones with cream and strawberry jam and three or four different types of cake. Tea and coffee served all afternoon or a bar for those wanting cold drinks. Thank you to everyone at Speech House for an amazing buffet which helped relive some of the stress of a sad day.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ali264163
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Ali264163,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent experience at the Speech House.
Firstly may I once again offer our sincere condolences for your family loss.
I am pleased that you felt the service we gave and facilities helped to alleviate part of the stress
You all felt.
I was pleased to be able to personally welcome your party and oversee proceedings.
I have passed on your kind remarks to all of the team who looked after your family.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House under happier circumstances.
Thank you once again for taking time to leave a review.
Director/proprietor.
Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We had a wonderful short break here. Stayed for 2 nights in one of the rooms in the main building. We had a huge 4 poster bed which was extremely comfortable. The room itself was very well equipped with plenty of space.

We ate in the restaurant on both nights and found the food and service spot on.

The location of this hotel is superb - right in the centre of the forest.

We plan to return for another short break in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building appear to be better
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MegDorset
Dear MegDorset,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you both enjoyed your stay with us and that you intend to return again.
Thank you for your very positive comments which I have passed on to all of my team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House.
Director/proprietor.
Chepstow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have just celebrated my daughter's wedding at The Speech House Hotel, and it has been amazing. They have a permanent marquee in the garden, and included in the venue hire is a DJ and the services of their in-house Wedding Organiser, Denise. We discussed all our requirements with her, and took out all the decorations, and all I had to do on arrival was to pop in and check that all was well. Denise had exceeded our expectations, and the marquee looked stunning.

We also stayed in the hotel in one of the Superior Rooms with a modern four-poster bed with glass basins in the bathroom. Due to the fantastic training of all staff, the rooms were extremely clean. The staff were attentive and very polite, and we would like to say an especial thank you to Sharon (the hotel manager) for the full experience, and to Jules and Chas for all help.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel J
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Rachel J,
Thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay and your daughters wedding with us at the Speech House.
I have passed on all of your very kind comments to all of our team and specifically the ones personally named. It is always good to receive feedback and to know that we have made your event and stay a great experience.
All of the team enjoyed looking after you and making your daughters special day a memorable one.
We look forward to welcoming you and your guests back to the Speech House in the future.
Thank you once again for leaving us such a positive review.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

Our rooms were in the courtyard, a fair reflection of the room cost, small but well equipped and comfy beds. Good picture on the TV (hubby notices these details) and bathroom facilities were fine. We had dinner in the conservatory restaurant. The vege burger was good, my beef was a bit tough but the Yorkshire and vegetables were delicious. Breakfast is taken in the courtroom in very impressive surroundings, however We have to pass sentence on the food as despite the waiter and a menu, it was certainly not cooked to order m'lud! They may as well have put it on as a buffet but It surely can't take that long to cook a bit of bacon and an egg! Get this right Speech House and you will once again be deserving of a 'not guilty' verdict!

Room Tip: if you can afford it the main part of the hotel has the biggest rooms. Courtyard rooms are fine away...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Ruth G
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Ruth G
Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I can only apologise for the fact you were disappointed with your breakfast and I am investigating what went wrong. Our guests as can be seen from previous reviews compliment us on the breakfast's ewe serve but obviously there was a blip on this occasion which I need to ensure does not reoccur and that we once again receive a "Not Guilty" verdict <s>
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us overall and that you found the historic listed Verderers Courtroom interesting.
We look forward to welcoming you back whence we can prove that the quality of breakfast you received was not of our usually high standard.
Thanks again for your comments.
gloucestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I would like to write a review of a stay i recently had . The say was for two nights in a family room i requested feather pillows i was pleasantly surprised to find they had granted me this request , the beds where good and i slept very well upon arrival the check in was very quick and it was not long before i was settled in the room . the room was very clean but the bathroom sanitary wear as in the sink shower area etc needs to be freshened up but was clean , we had a room near to the road so you do hear road traffic and also the room above yo were able to hear the guest walking around and when using the bathroom The main hotel was very pleasant in deed wonderful views the dining room bar area was very pleasant indeed , we were blessed with lots of sunshine so it made the surroundings even better its a wonderful location to take a break

Room Tip: rooms not near the road in the court yard area would be quieter for sleeping
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Speech_House, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear Andy W,
Thank you for leaving a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we were able to supply the pillows that you requested, which aided your good nights sleep.
I take on board your observation concerning the sink and shower needing bringing more up to date in the room. It is work in progress on our to do list.
The traffic noise is more noticeable at peak travelling time but we are looking at ways to overcome it.
I am glad you were well looked after and that overall you enjoyed your stay in the heart of the forest.
I have passed on your comments to all of our team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Peter Hands.
Director/Proprietor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coleford
Tudor Farmhouse Hotel
#1 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye
The Paddocks Hotel
The Paddocks Hotel
#12 of 14 in Ross-on-Wye

Been to The Speech House Hotel? Share your experiences!