Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Case
Manchester, United Kingdom

Most terrible hotel

1.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 23 Oct 2023via mobile
We decided to go and stay in a hotel as a friend recommended. It was in their town and had great history. Unfortunately, when we arrived, we was very disappointed. The room was very dirty with stained carpets that smelled like dogs . to which we later found out that people can bring their dogs into this hotel which we found very disturbing our room smelled like a dog and we couldn’t sleep due to the smell. the bed was very uncomfortable and everything was very old, it felt a little like camping out . after 9 o’clock we couldn’t get anybody on the phone in reception or even get a drink of water so had to go without all night. terrible service. Terrible room will not be going back to this hotel, not if somebody paid for it.. I don’t recommend this hotel even for one night very poor condition
Date of stay: October 2023
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 30 Oct 2023
Dear caseoktayp,
Many thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent overnight stay with us.
I am sorry for the delay in responding but due to the content I wanted to make a full investigation of the points you raised.
Our bedroom carpets do get stained for various reasons, whether from guests returning from walking or cycling through the forest and transferring mud or from spillages.
Every room is deep cleaned following departure and thoroughly checked prior to check in.
Your room 32, is described as a cosy double and has a standard double bed. I note from your photographs, one of the bed which you had obviously slept in and another showing the bathroom. I note from another review you have left that you refer the toilet seat being wonky.Your room was found to have no problems with fixtures or cleanliness other than the carpet being marked prior to your check in.
Had you informed reception or my duty manager on check in that you were not happy with your room, they would have done everything possible to move you to another room and ensure you were happy.
Our reception is manned until 10pm when it is transferred to our night porters phone. You may not have had an immediate response to your call at 9pm due to the receptionist dealing with another customer as the hotel was extremely busy on the night in question.
We run regular tests on our room tap water to ensure it is safe to drink, however if your need for bottle water was urgent, your room was only yards from the reception in the main house and if you had popped up one of my team would have supplied you with bottled water. As i say, the hotel was extremely busy throughout the evening.
our mattresses are often raised for their comfort but I appreciate it is subjective to individuals.
I have spoken to all of my team and can find no record of you making any comment to them during your stay regarding your unhappiness with your room and sadly nothing said by you upon departure.
If we do not know of your issues ,we cannot take steps to rectify them at the time.
Once again I am extremely sorry that you were unhappy with your stay.
Director/Proprietor
      Bar/Lounge
      3.6 miles from The Speech House Hotel
      View more hotels in Coleford
      1,186 results
      All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
      Selected filters
      Reviewed 9 October 2023 via mobile

We got married on Saturday. It was the most amazing couple of days. Everything was perfect. Debbie and her team couldn’t have done anything any better, friendly and super professional.
      I had so much help from them all in the run up and they made everything easy for me. The food and accommodation was first class.
      Thank you Debbie and all at The Speech House
      Mel and Steve Gaze xx

Date of stay: October 2023
      Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2023

Dear Mel H,
      Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent event at the Speech House.
      Mel, thankyou and Steve for entrusting us with your very special day and I am glad that Debbie and the team made it a memorable one for you both.
      I will pass on to Debbie and the team your very kind remarks, I know they will all appreciate them.
      We all hope to welcome you back to the Speech House again soon.
      Take care, stay safe,

Reviewed 29 September 2023 via mobile

Rooms were alright, tidy and clean.

Only down side was the road noise, which was because it was a converted house with windows that needed triple glazing and a adequate front door.
      Shower leaked along the floor which had to be mopped with one of the towels, thus doing without a bath towel.

Good points… Breakfast was decent and self service, eat all you want. Other good point, Dogs were allowed and in a side breakfast room too.

Room tip: Good for a stay with Dogs, ideal walking countryside just outside your stay.
      Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2023

Dear 946christinaw,
      Many thanks for leaving feedback on your recent stay with us.
      It sounds like you stayed in the cottage which is close to the road. I am sorry you found the traffic noisy but it is only usually early morning and tea time.
      I wish you had reported the problem with your shower and my maintenance team would have been able to rectify it and replace your towel.
      I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and were able to dine with your dog in the Orangery.
      Thank you for your feedback which we always find useful.
      Best wishes,stay safe,
      Director/proprietor.

Reviewed 13 September 2023

We first visited The Speech House 50 years ago for pir honeymoon so decided to go back for a couple of nights as part of our celebrations. When I rang to book I told the receptionist this bit with little reaction which was disappointing.
      Our room was on the second floor on the main house and was quite comfortable apart from the fact that the mattresses on the double bed had a been zipped together which was quite uncomfortable. If only a mattress topper had been put over this it would have been fine.
      The restaurant in the evening was very good and breakfast was mostly good depart from the selection of fresh fruit.

Date of stay: August 2023
      • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2023

Dear suetelfer95,
      Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us on the 15th August 2023..
      Firstly I am sorry to hear that you found your zip and link uncomfortable and have raised the issue with my housekeeping team.
      I am pleased to read that you enjoyed meals in the restaurant and have passed on your comments to all of my team.
      We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area next.

Reviewed 12 September 2023 via mobile

Fantastic hotel which caters for all. This trip I had a courtyard four poster which was lovely very spacious room. Food is really nice and hotel is perfect location for the mountain bike park or the sculpture trail and other great walks in the Forest of Dean.

Trip type: Travelled solo
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2023

Dear 743alanp,
      Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
      Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all my team.
      We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Speech House when you are next in the area.
      Director/Proprietor

Reviewed 8 September 2023

The Staff were friendly and helpful, restaurant was good, the dog friendly room was poor, room 20 in the courtyard. Shower had mould on tile grout, the bed base cover was stained and dirty, poor layout of the accommodation, elevated shower in the room, the clothes storage in another small room with tea facilities. The bedroom area, the window could not be opened sufficient to provide ventilation. No fridge, small fridge from reception which would hold a pack of
      Butter. Tried accommodation which seemed to be reserved for pet owners. Much better in Days Inn where the accommodation is not expensive. The room was £100 to £115 per night with £15 per night for the dog. Just not worth it. Pet owners BEWARE, better and cleaner rooms close by in the Forest Of Dean. The illustrated rooms on their website look good but are not typical of dog friendly rooms. Very Disappointed and scruffy unclean room.

Room tip: Not recommended for Pet Owners
      • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2023

Dear K703YSjudithw,
      Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.
      I am sorry for the delay in responding but I have been away from the hotel and I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with your accommodation, I would like to address some of the points you raise.
      The layout of room 20 is on entry the shower room is on your left and then the next space is a walk in area also on your left which contains hanging space and also a dressing table with stool.
      going on through the entrance you come to the double bed and wall mounted TV together with two comfy chairs.
      As the room is at ground floor level, there is a security wire attached to the window to limit extensive opening so as to ensure guest security.
      The room had also had new carpet and flooring put down earlier in the year, along with being redecorated.
      I appreciate that during your stay the weather was unusually warm and there was no wind to move the air flow, however there was an electric fan stored in your room to help air circulation .
      I apologise that there was some small dots of mould on the lower shower grouting and my housekeeping and maintenance team will put extra effort into removing them.
      None of our bedrooms throughout the hotel have fridges installed, we do however offer a small portable fridge to guests who need to keep their medication at a certain temperature.
      I am told that you spoke with several members of team and at no time expressed a wish to change rooms. Had you have done so at the time we would have done everything possible to ensure you were happy.
      I also understand from my Front of House Operations Manager that my team looked after your dog and ensured it had a toilet break and walk whilst you were away at hospital having treatment following an accident whilst with your friends.
      We certainly do not treat guests who are staying with their pets any different to our other guests, although we have specific rooms for guests staying with pets. We also include a welcome pack for the pets. You will see that we have many excellent reviews from guests who have stayed with their pets.
      We are a small family owned and run independent historical hotel, not a large corporate chain so all our rooms are different, and we also allow guests to take their pets for exercise on the adjacent field.
      Thank you for commenting that my team were "Friendly and helpful and that the quality of food throughout your stay was good.
      I do wish you had spoken to my reception/ management team at the time to express your unhappiness so that we could have tried to ensure you were happy.
      My Head Receptionist informed me on checkout, she asked your husband if everything had been okay with your stay and he replied "Yes fine"
      Thank you for your feedback, we take all comments seriously and use them to help keep up our standards.