Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Sue
heybridge

Nice area to visit

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 7 Nov 2023
Receptionist upon arrival delightful. Sunday lunch was amazing..went downhill next day arriving back into our room..it hadnt been serviced. Apparently we hadnt requested it...welm it wasnt mentioned at check in..do u want room cleaned? Obviously yes would be the answer. I assume post covid our room is cleaned automatically. I have never come across this. Surely upon check in they should have asked me..not just assume i dont want my bed made or coffee and tea not replenished???. Coming back from a long walk to an unmade bed..no tea or milk uncleaned room....it happened the next day as we decided to stay another night..i actually spoke to housekeeping manager..she said do u want light clean..yes i replied thinking they prob just wont hoover..replenish tea etc..which was done but bed ..again remained unmade..was really annoyed as id spoken to housekeeping manager. Cleary mis communication...but bed being made is a fundemental requesite in my book when away on holiday. I think some hotels to save costs are using 'covid' as an excuse not to service rooms.
At least ASK!!!
Date of stay: November 2023
Room Tip: Request service of room when checking in
3.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
1.0 of 5 bubblesService
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 8 Nov 2023
DearmavisHeybridge,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us,
I am sorry to read of your house keeping experience and having investigated, it seems to have occurred through miscommunication on our part.
The box on your arrival form for light clean, had been ticked by my receptionist so it was assumed by my Head Housekeeper that you were happy for that to happen. This should have included your bed being made and tea/coffee replenished.
I am told that due to you staying the extra night my team were going to change your bedding and that was why the box containing fresh bedding was left outside your room in readiness for the house keeping crew.
I gather there was then a conversation between you and my Head Housekeeper where again miscommunication arose and your room was not serviced. Having become aware of your room situation one of the team returned and serviced your room.
My General Manager has now taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again and has met with the house keeping team to ensure they are aware of the changes we have made.
I can assure you it is not a cost cutting exercise but originally came about from guests telling us they did not want a full room service everyday.
I can only once again apologise for the errors on our part but would thank you for highlighting the issue and from which we have now changed our system and communication.
We do take all feedback seriously and use it to improve our service.
I am pleased to read that your welcome and Sunday lunch was amazing.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when next in the area.
terrace
4.3 miles from The Speech House Hotel
Bar/Lounge
View more hotels in Coleford
1,186 results
All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 24 October 2023

We had a late booking we made and took the last twin room in the courtyard.
Nice room close to the main hotel but it had a massive disabled bathroom /wet room. The experience was not great as we felt as thought we were either in a residential care home or hospital when we stepped foot inside.

No where to put toiletries just the window ledge which was very narrow.
This room was no. 31 with a mobility for hire scooter outside.

We would not have booked this room had we known as we are fit and ambulant and look forward to hotel stays.

That said the meal in the Orangery was very good. and the breakfast in the main restaurant was amazing. Absolutely excellent.

The service was friendly and agreeable. It was very busy and very full in the hotel with a film crew there so atmosphere was good but it did impact on the evening Orangery service as we waited over 20 minutes for drinks to be brought to our table after ordering them.

We have stayed several times including our own wedding night here and our 25th anniversary. The place is timeless.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2023

Dear E6538FIvaleries,
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you had to book our last room which as you pointed out had a wet room instead of a normal bathroom but as you point out the hotel was at capacity due to a film crew staying.
I am pleased to read that you had a very good meal in the Orangery and that you enjoyed breakfast in the Verderers.
I can only apologise for the delay in your drinks arriving but the team were working flat out to look after everyone.
Thank you for returning to see us once again and hopefully we will see you again when the hotel is not full to capacity so that we can ensure you get your drinks a little quicker.
Whilst carrying out ongoing refurbishments we do try hard to retain the timeless ambience.
We all look forward to welcoming you both back soon,
Best wishes, Stay safe,

Reviewed 23 October 2023 via mobile

We decided to go and stay in a hotel as a friend recommended. It was in their town and had great history. Unfortunately, when we arrived, we was very disappointed. The room was very dirty with stained carpets that smelled like dogs . to which we later found out that people can bring their dogs into this hotel which we found very disturbing our room smelled like a dog and we couldn’t sleep due to the smell. the bed was very uncomfortable and everything was very old, it felt a little like camping out . after 9 o’clock we couldn’t get anybody on the phone in reception or even get a drink of water so had to go without all night. terrible service. Terrible room will not be going back to this hotel, not if somebody paid for it.. I don’t recommend this hotel even for one night very poor condition

1  Thank caseoktayp
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2023

Dear caseoktayp,
Many thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent overnight stay with us.
I am sorry for the delay in responding but due to the content I wanted to make a full investigation of the points you raised.
Our bedroom carpets do get stained for various reasons, whether from guests returning from walking or cycling through the forest and transferring mud or from spillages.
Every room is deep cleaned following departure and thoroughly checked prior to check in.
Your room 32, is described as a cosy double and has a standard double bed. I note from your photographs, one of the bed which you had obviously slept in and another showing the bathroom. I note from another review you have left that you refer the toilet seat being wonky.Your room was found to have no problems with fixtures or cleanliness other than the carpet being marked prior to your check in.
Had you informed reception or my duty manager on check in that you were not happy with your room, they would have done everything possible to move you to another room and ensure you were happy.
Our reception is manned until 10pm when it is transferred to our night porters phone. You may not have had an immediate response to your call at 9pm due to the receptionist dealing with another customer as the hotel was extremely busy on the night in question.
We run regular tests on our room tap water to ensure it is safe to drink, however if your need for bottle water was urgent, your room was only yards from the reception in the main house and if you had popped up one of my team would have supplied you with bottled water. As i say, the hotel was extremely busy throughout the evening.
our mattresses are often raised for their comfort but I appreciate it is subjective to individuals.
I have spoken to all of my team and can find no record of you making any comment to them during your stay regarding your unhappiness with your room and sadly nothing said by you upon departure.
If we do not know of your issues ,we cannot take steps to rectify them at the time.
Once again I am extremely sorry that you were unhappy with your stay.
Director/Proprietor

Reviewed 9 October 2023 via mobile

We got married on Saturday. It was the most amazing couple of days. Everything was perfect. Debbie and her team couldn’t have done anything any better, friendly and super professional.
I had so much help from them all in the run up and they made everything easy for me. The food and accommodation was first class.
Thank you Debbie and all at The Speech House
Mel and Steve Gaze xx

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2023

Dear Mel H,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent event at the Speech House.
Mel, thankyou and Steve for entrusting us with your very special day and I am glad that Debbie and the team made it a memorable one for you both.
I will pass on to Debbie and the team your very kind remarks, I know they will all appreciate them.
We all hope to welcome you back to the Speech House again soon.
Take care, stay safe,

Reviewed 29 September 2023 via mobile

Rooms were alright, tidy and clean.

Only down side was the road noise, which was because it was a converted house with windows that needed triple glazing and a adequate front door.
Shower leaked along the floor which had to be mopped with one of the towels, thus doing without a bath towel.

Good points… Breakfast was decent and self service, eat all you want. Other good point, Dogs were allowed and in a side breakfast room too.

Room tip: Good for a stay with Dogs, ideal walking countryside just outside your stay.
Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2023

Dear 946christinaw,
Many thanks for leaving feedback on your recent stay with us.
It sounds like you stayed in the cottage which is close to the road. I am sorry you found the traffic noisy but it is only usually early morning and tea time.
I wish you had reported the problem with your shower and my maintenance team would have been able to rectify it and replace your towel.
I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and were able to dine with your dog in the Orangery.
Thank you for your feedback which we always find useful.
Best wishes,stay safe,
Director/proprietor.

Reviewed 13 September 2023

We first visited The Speech House 50 years ago for pir honeymoon so decided to go back for a couple of nights as part of our celebrations. When I rang to book I told the receptionist this bit with little reaction which was disappointing.
Our room was on the second floor on the main house and was quite comfortable apart from the fact that the mattresses on the double bed had a been zipped together which was quite uncomfortable. If only a mattress topper had been put over this it would have been fine.
The restaurant in the evening was very good and breakfast was mostly good depart from the selection of fresh fruit.

Date of stay: August 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2023

Dear suetelfer95,
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us on the 15th August 2023..
Firstly I am sorry to hear that you found your zip and link uncomfortable and have raised the issue with my housekeeping team.
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed meals in the restaurant and have passed on your comments to all of my team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are in the area next.