Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Damon K
Timbuktu, Mali

Definitely in my top 10 of places to stay!

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 22 Nov 2023via mobile
This is one of the best places I've ever had to stay for work. I stayed for 2 nights in one of the out lying buildings which was ideal for me as I had a lot of luggage to house. The staff are quite possibly the friendliest bunch of people I've come across in the service industry. Happy to help. Humble and genuine. My room was a little dated but clean and well equipped with loads of plug sockets. Also warm in thy chilly weather. Only had a shower but that was fine for me. Clean comfy bed. Quiet even though on the main road. Felt safe too. Didn't have breakfast included, sadly, but my evening meal was awesome. Would I stay here again? 100%. Would I bring the family here? 100%! Only downside for some is that it's in the middle of the woods. Nothing in the vicinity for supplies but you'll have done this research. Couldn't recommend this place enough though. Well done Team Speech House!
Date of stay: November 2023
Room Tip: Make sure you have supplies
Trip type: Travelled on business
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 23 Nov 2023
Dear DamonK_12,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay and the way my team looked after you throughout your stay.
We are extremely lucky to have such a great team, all from the local area
I have passed on your comments to all of my team and I know they will be greatly appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully with your family one day.
Take care, stay safe.
  • eDreams
3.9 miles from The Speech House Hotel
View more hotels in Coleford
1,188 results
All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 November 2023 via mobile

Loved this hotel it was a building with character the staff were very welcoming and answered all questions the breakfast was outstanding using mostly local sourced products the room as very clean as well I will return here again thank you keep up the good work guys

Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2023

Dear Cardifffoodman,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you had an excellent stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all my team who,I know will appreciate them.
We do have a policy of trying to source all our products locally or within a 50 mile radius.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 11 November 2023 via mobile

Exceptional. We were attending an 80th birthday party in Coleford. We stayed at this hotel as we knew it from many years ago .
They let us book in early. Nothing to much trouble.

The attention from staff was simply great. . We ate in the Orangery in the evening. The whole experience was enhanced by the 5* start service of Megan. An asset to the hotel. I travel a great deal. I have yet to witness better service. She was friendly , professional and efficient.

Room tip: Busy at lunch time
Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2023

Dear Kenhart,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you were well looked after upon arrival and throughout your stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I will pass on to all my team and especially Megan.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.
Best wishes,stay safe,
Director/Proprietor,

Reviewed 7 November 2023

Receptionist upon arrival delightful. Sunday lunch was amazing..went downhill next day arriving back into our room..it hadnt been serviced. Apparently we hadnt requested it...welm it wasnt mentioned at check in..do u want room cleaned? Obviously yes would be the answer. I assume post covid our room is cleaned automatically. I have never come across this. Surely upon check in they should have asked me..not just assume i dont want my bed made or coffee and tea not replenished???. Coming back from a long walk to an unmade bed..no tea or milk uncleaned room....it happened the next day as we decided to stay another night..i actually spoke to housekeeping manager..she said do u want light clean..yes i replied thinking they prob just wont hoover..replenish tea etc..which was done but bed ..again remained unmade..was really annoyed as id spoken to housekeeping manager. Cleary mis communication...but bed being made is a fundemental requesite in my book when away on holiday. I think some hotels to save costs are using 'covid' as an excuse not to service rooms.
At least ASK!!!

Room tip: Request service of room when checking in
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2023

DearmavisHeybridge,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us,
I am sorry to read of your house keeping experience and having investigated, it seems to have occurred through miscommunication on our part.
The box on your arrival form for light clean, had been ticked by my receptionist so it was assumed by my Head Housekeeper that you were happy for that to happen. This should have included your bed being made and tea/coffee replenished.
I am told that due to you staying the extra night my team were going to change your bedding and that was why the box containing fresh bedding was left outside your room in readiness for the house keeping crew.
I gather there was then a conversation between you and my Head Housekeeper where again miscommunication arose and your room was not serviced. Having become aware of your room situation one of the team returned and serviced your room.
My General Manager has now taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again and has met with the house keeping team to ensure they are aware of the changes we have made.
I can assure you it is not a cost cutting exercise but originally came about from guests telling us they did not want a full room service everyday.
I can only once again apologise for the errors on our part but would thank you for highlighting the issue and from which we have now changed our system and communication.
We do take all feedback seriously and use it to improve our service.
I am pleased to read that your welcome and Sunday lunch was amazing.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when next in the area.

Reviewed 24 October 2023

We had a late booking we made and took the last twin room in the courtyard.
Nice room close to the main hotel but it had a massive disabled bathroom /wet room. The experience was not great as we felt as thought we were either in a residential care home or hospital when we stepped foot inside.

No where to put toiletries just the window ledge which was very narrow.
This room was no. 31 with a mobility for hire scooter outside.

We would not have booked this room had we known as we are fit and ambulant and look forward to hotel stays.

That said the meal in the Orangery was very good. and the breakfast in the main restaurant was amazing. Absolutely excellent.

The service was friendly and agreeable. It was very busy and very full in the hotel with a film crew there so atmosphere was good but it did impact on the evening Orangery service as we waited over 20 minutes for drinks to be brought to our table after ordering them.

We have stayed several times including our own wedding night here and our 25th anniversary. The place is timeless.

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2023

Dear E6538FIvaleries,
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you had to book our last room which as you pointed out had a wet room instead of a normal bathroom but as you point out the hotel was at capacity due to a film crew staying.
I am pleased to read that you had a very good meal in the Orangery and that you enjoyed breakfast in the Verderers.
I can only apologise for the delay in your drinks arriving but the team were working flat out to look after everyone.
Thank you for returning to see us once again and hopefully we will see you again when the hotel is not full to capacity so that we can ensure you get your drinks a little quicker.
Whilst carrying out ongoing refurbishments we do try hard to retain the timeless ambience.
We all look forward to welcoming you both back soon,
Best wishes, Stay safe,

Reviewed 23 October 2023 via mobile

We decided to go and stay in a hotel as a friend recommended. It was in their town and had great history. Unfortunately, when we arrived, we was very disappointed. The room was very dirty with stained carpets that smelled like dogs . to which we later found out that people can bring their dogs into this hotel which we found very disturbing our room smelled like a dog and we couldn’t sleep due to the smell. the bed was very uncomfortable and everything was very old, it felt a little like camping out . after 9 o’clock we couldn’t get anybody on the phone in reception or even get a drink of water so had to go without all night. terrible service. Terrible room will not be going back to this hotel, not if somebody paid for it.. I don’t recommend this hotel even for one night very poor condition

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank caseoktayp
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2023

Dear caseoktayp,
Many thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent overnight stay with us.
I am sorry for the delay in responding but due to the content I wanted to make a full investigation of the points you raised.
Our bedroom carpets do get stained for various reasons, whether from guests returning from walking or cycling through the forest and transferring mud or from spillages.
Every room is deep cleaned following departure and thoroughly checked prior to check in.
Your room 32, is described as a cosy double and has a standard double bed. I note from your photographs, one of the bed which you had obviously slept in and another showing the bathroom. I note from another review you have left that you refer the toilet seat being wonky.Your room was found to have no problems with fixtures or cleanliness other than the carpet being marked prior to your check in.
Had you informed reception or my duty manager on check in that you were not happy with your room, they would have done everything possible to move you to another room and ensure you were happy.
Our reception is manned until 10pm when it is transferred to our night porters phone. You may not have had an immediate response to your call at 9pm due to the receptionist dealing with another customer as the hotel was extremely busy on the night in question.
We run regular tests on our room tap water to ensure it is safe to drink, however if your need for bottle water was urgent, your room was only yards from the reception in the main house and if you had popped up one of my team would have supplied you with bottled water. As i say, the hotel was extremely busy throughout the evening.
our mattresses are often raised for their comfort but I appreciate it is subjective to individuals.
I have spoken to all of my team and can find no record of you making any comment to them during your stay regarding your unhappiness with your room and sadly nothing said by you upon departure.
If we do not know of your issues ,we cannot take steps to rectify them at the time.
Once again I am extremely sorry that you were unhappy with your stay.
Director/Proprietor