Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Fri, 24 May
Fully refundable before Sat, 25 May
David

Excellent food experience

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 2 Dec 2023
An outstanding meal once again in the Verderers restaurant. Quality fine dining at a sensible price. All three courses were exceptional and all sourced locally. Finished with a lovely touch from the Chef to mark Birthday celebrations. A real treat.
Date of stay: December 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5.0 of 5 bubblesValue
5.0 of 5 bubblesLocation
5.0 of 5 bubblesService
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 3 Dec 2023
Dear DavidF1304SM,
Many thanks for leaving feedback on your recent visit to The Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you had yet another outstanding meal in the Verderers.
We do try to gather our products as local as possible and certainly within a 35 mile radius.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your birthday treat from our Head Chef Gareth.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have circulated to all our team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to see us again soon.
Belated happy birthday greetings from the management team.
  • Hotels.com
  • eDreams
3.9 miles from The Speech House Hotel
View more hotels in Coleford
1,178 results
All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 November 2023 via mobile

This is one of the best places I've ever had to stay for work. I stayed for 2 nights in one of the out lying buildings which was ideal for me as I had a lot of luggage to house. The staff are quite possibly the friendliest bunch of people I've come across in the service industry. Happy to help. Humble and genuine. My room was a little dated but clean and well equipped with loads of plug sockets. Also warm in thy chilly weather. Only had a shower but that was fine for me. Clean comfy bed. Quiet even though on the main road. Felt safe too. Didn't have breakfast included, sadly, but my evening meal was awesome. Would I stay here again? 100%. Would I bring the family here? 100%! Only downside for some is that it's in the middle of the woods. Nothing in the vicinity for supplies but you'll have done this research. Couldn't recommend this place enough though. Well done Team Speech House!

Room tip: Make sure you have supplies
Trip type: Travelled on business
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2023

Dear DamonK_12,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay and the way my team looked after you throughout your stay.
We are extremely lucky to have such a great team, all from the local area
I have passed on your comments to all of my team and I know they will be greatly appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully with your family one day.
Take care, stay safe.
Best wishes

Reviewed 21 November 2023 via mobile

Loved this hotel it was a building with character the staff were very welcoming and answered all questions the breakfast was outstanding using mostly local sourced products the room as very clean as well I will return here again thank you keep up the good work guys

Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2023

Dear Cardifffoodman,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you had an excellent stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all my team who,I know will appreciate them.
We do have a policy of trying to source all our products locally or within a 50 mile radius.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 11 November 2023 via mobile

Exceptional. We were attending an 80th birthday party in Coleford. We stayed at this hotel as we knew it from many years ago .
They let us book in early. Nothing to much trouble.

The attention from staff was simply great. . We ate in the Orangery in the evening. The whole experience was enhanced by the 5* start service of Megan. An asset to the hotel. I travel a great deal. I have yet to witness better service. She was friendly , professional and efficient.

Room tip: Busy at lunch time
Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2023

Dear Kenhart,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you were well looked after upon arrival and throughout your stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I will pass on to all my team and especially Megan.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.
Best wishes,stay safe,
Director/Proprietor,

Reviewed 7 November 2023

Receptionist upon arrival delightful. Sunday lunch was amazing..went downhill next day arriving back into our room..it hadnt been serviced. Apparently we hadnt requested it...welm it wasnt mentioned at check in..do u want room cleaned? Obviously yes would be the answer. I assume post covid our room is cleaned automatically. I have never come across this. Surely upon check in they should have asked me..not just assume i dont want my bed made or coffee and tea not replenished???. Coming back from a long walk to an unmade bed..no tea or milk uncleaned room....it happened the next day as we decided to stay another night..i actually spoke to housekeeping manager..she said do u want light clean..yes i replied thinking they prob just wont hoover..replenish tea etc..which was done but bed ..again remained unmade..was really annoyed as id spoken to housekeeping manager. Cleary mis communication...but bed being made is a fundemental requesite in my book when away on holiday. I think some hotels to save costs are using 'covid' as an excuse not to service rooms.
At least ASK!!!

Room tip: Request service of room when checking in
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2023

DearmavisHeybridge,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us,
I am sorry to read of your house keeping experience and having investigated, it seems to have occurred through miscommunication on our part.
The box on your arrival form for light clean, had been ticked by my receptionist so it was assumed by my Head Housekeeper that you were happy for that to happen. This should have included your bed being made and tea/coffee replenished.
I am told that due to you staying the extra night my team were going to change your bedding and that was why the box containing fresh bedding was left outside your room in readiness for the house keeping crew.
I gather there was then a conversation between you and my Head Housekeeper where again miscommunication arose and your room was not serviced. Having become aware of your room situation one of the team returned and serviced your room.
My General Manager has now taken steps to ensure that this does not happen again and has met with the house keeping team to ensure they are aware of the changes we have made.
I can assure you it is not a cost cutting exercise but originally came about from guests telling us they did not want a full room service everyday.
I can only once again apologise for the errors on our part but would thank you for highlighting the issue and from which we have now changed our system and communication.
We do take all feedback seriously and use it to improve our service.
I am pleased to read that your welcome and Sunday lunch was amazing.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when next in the area.

Reviewed 24 October 2023

We had a late booking we made and took the last twin room in the courtyard.
Nice room close to the main hotel but it had a massive disabled bathroom /wet room. The experience was not great as we felt as thought we were either in a residential care home or hospital when we stepped foot inside.

No where to put toiletries just the window ledge which was very narrow.
This room was no. 31 with a mobility for hire scooter outside.

We would not have booked this room had we known as we are fit and ambulant and look forward to hotel stays.

That said the meal in the Orangery was very good. and the breakfast in the main restaurant was amazing. Absolutely excellent.

The service was friendly and agreeable. It was very busy and very full in the hotel with a film crew there so atmosphere was good but it did impact on the evening Orangery service as we waited over 20 minutes for drinks to be brought to our table after ordering them.

We have stayed several times including our own wedding night here and our 25th anniversary. The place is timeless.

Date of stay: October 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2023

Dear E6538FIvaleries,
Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am sorry that you had to book our last room which as you pointed out had a wet room instead of a normal bathroom but as you point out the hotel was at capacity due to a film crew staying.
I am pleased to read that you had a very good meal in the Orangery and that you enjoyed breakfast in the Verderers.
I can only apologise for the delay in your drinks arriving but the team were working flat out to look after everyone.
Thank you for returning to see us once again and hopefully we will see you again when the hotel is not full to capacity so that we can ensure you get your drinks a little quicker.
Whilst carrying out ongoing refurbishments we do try hard to retain the timeless ambience.
We all look forward to welcoming you both back soon,
Best wishes, Stay safe,