Lowest prices for your stay
£83
Fully refundable before Sat, 25 May
Hotels.com
Get rewarded with One Key
worc54
Luton, United Kingdom

Great value hotel

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 18 Dec 2023
We have just spent the weekend at this excellent value for money hotel. When we first arrived and being fore warned that there was a function on that evening our hopes were not great. How ever we needn’t have worried, a great night’s sleep in a very comfortable bed ensued. The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast served by young but very capable waitresses. The hotel prides itself on the quality of the ingredients for their menu’s and this showed even at breakfast where the bacon and sausage was second to none. In the evening we dined in the Verderers restaurant where not only was the quality excellent but thought had been put into the menu, whereas normally side orders comprise just one or two vegetables here you get a good mix of several. I would heartily recommend the sirloin, beautifully cooked and tender. Our final meal was breakfast, again it didn’t disappoint. We have stayed in many four and five star hotels throughout Europe but the standard of food at The Speech House can hold its head up with most of them One nice touch is the number of walkers that come to the bar with their dogs and enjoy a quick drink before going on their way again. It’s a convenient base for walking around the Forest, we walked the long trail at the Nagshead Reserve and the Kymin above Monmouth. Goodrich Castle is one of the best ruins that we have ever visited, there was a very well informed guide there as well.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 19 Dec 2023
Dear worc54,
Many thanks for taking the time out to leave a comprehensive review on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you had a great stay and that you thought we offered excellent value for money.
We do allow dogs with well behaved owners into our bar and Orangery and also have a few bedrooms in the courtyard that are pet friendly.
We are in the centre of the forest and have some 253 miles of walking and cycling trails on our doorstep.
Once again, thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all my team whom I i know will greatly appreciate them.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area and we all wish you both a peaceful and safe Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New Year.
terrace
Bar/Lounge
3.6 miles from The Speech House Hotel
View more hotels in Coleford
1,178 results
All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 December 2023

We called in for a non-resident breakfast. Katie on reception was warm and frindly and guided us to the restaurant. Here Jacqui showed us the system and offered help with any extras we might require or desire. She was so kind and helpful. at a difficult phase in our lives this was a warm and wel

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2023

Dear Traveler53381699347,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent visit and experience when you visited us.
I am delighted that we were able to meet your requests.
Thank you for your very kind comments on your breakfasts and on the way my team took care of you throughout.
I have passed your comments on to all my team and we all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 2 December 2023

An outstanding meal once again in the Verderers restaurant. Quality fine dining at a sensible price. All three courses were exceptional and all sourced locally. Finished with a lovely touch from the Chef to mark Birthday celebrations. A real treat.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank DavidF1304SM
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2023

Dear DavidF1304SM,
Many thanks for leaving feedback on your recent visit to The Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you had yet another outstanding meal in the Verderers.
We do try to gather our products as local as possible and certainly within a 35 mile radius.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your birthday treat from our Head Chef Gareth.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have circulated to all our team.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to see us again soon.
Belated happy birthday greetings from the management team.

Reviewed 22 November 2023 via mobile

This is one of the best places I've ever had to stay for work. I stayed for 2 nights in one of the out lying buildings which was ideal for me as I had a lot of luggage to house. The staff are quite possibly the friendliest bunch of people I've come across in the service industry. Happy to help. Humble and genuine. My room was a little dated but clean and well equipped with loads of plug sockets. Also warm in thy chilly weather. Only had a shower but that was fine for me. Clean comfy bed. Quiet even though on the main road. Felt safe too. Didn't have breakfast included, sadly, but my evening meal was awesome. Would I stay here again? 100%. Would I bring the family here? 100%! Only downside for some is that it's in the middle of the woods. Nothing in the vicinity for supplies but you'll have done this research. Couldn't recommend this place enough though. Well done Team Speech House!

Room tip: Make sure you have supplies
Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled on business
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2023

Dear DamonK_12,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your stay and the way my team looked after you throughout your stay.
We are extremely lucky to have such a great team, all from the local area
I have passed on your comments to all of my team and I know they will be greatly appreciated.
We all look forward to welcoming you back and hopefully with your family one day.
Take care, stay safe.
Best wishes

Reviewed 21 November 2023 via mobile

Loved this hotel it was a building with character the staff were very welcoming and answered all questions the breakfast was outstanding using mostly local sourced products the room as very clean as well I will return here again thank you keep up the good work guys

Date of stay: September 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2023

Dear Cardifffoodman,
Many thanks for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you had an excellent stay with us and found everything to your satisfaction.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all my team who,I know will appreciate them.
We do have a policy of trying to source all our products locally or within a 50 mile radius.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.

Reviewed 11 November 2023 via mobile

Exceptional. We were attending an 80th birthday party in Coleford. We stayed at this hotel as we knew it from many years ago .
They let us book in early. Nothing to much trouble.

The attention from staff was simply great. . We ate in the Orangery in the evening. The whole experience was enhanced by the 5* start service of Megan. An asset to the hotel. I travel a great deal. I have yet to witness better service. She was friendly , professional and efficient.

Room tip: Busy at lunch time
Date of stay: November 2023
Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2023

Dear Kenhart,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you were well looked after upon arrival and throughout your stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I will pass on to all my team and especially Megan.
We all look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in the area.
Best wishes,stay safe,