Lowest prices for your stay
ZenHotels.com
£86
Elaine T

A great hotel with exceptional staff

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 1 Apr 2024
Our room had a 7ft four poster bed and it was very comfortable with beautiful quality bed linen and cushions. The staff are friendly , helpful and genuinely happy in their roles always polite and courteous. The food was excellent , breakfast was plentiful with lots of choice. An evening meal in the orangery was good value and the portion sizes were spot on for us. We will be returning to stay again
Trip type: Travelled with friends
5.0 of 5 bubblesSleep Quality
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 2 Apr 2024
Dear elainet0656EE,
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you really enjoyed your 7 foot 4 poster bed, we have two of them in the hotel and they originate from circa 1834. We also have a slightly smaller "Barley Twist double bed from the same era.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your food through out your stay and that you found my team to be friendly, helpful and happy,
I have assed on your comments to all of my team who I know, will appreciate them.
We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Director/Proprietor..
Bar/Lounge
3.6 miles from The Speech House Hotel
View more hotels in Coleford
1,178 results
All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 April 2024 via mobile

Perfect location for forest walks. Location a fairly busy road junction. But right in the middle of the forest, so plenty of walking right outside the door.
Good food, choice of a la carte or a more bistro Restaurant . Wine list and a coupe of local ales
Nice to have a reading room as our bedroom was a little small.
Comfy bed and very well appointed bathroom
Friendly staff, particularly the young ladies in the Orangery Restaurant

Room tip: Big function oriented venue so chose q quiet room
Date of stay: March 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2024

Dear Neil T,
Many thanks for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your very kind comments especially about the food and the way our team looked after you throughout
your stay.
I have passed on your comments to all my team and we all look forward to you returning for another Forest getaway soon
/Proprietor

Reviewed 24 March 2024

The main building is incredible, reminiscent of a medieval film set. Sadly our room was like a phone box, up a narrow staircase in a converted cottage outside. Shuffled around the bed to get anywhere. The bathroom was a good size, almost bigger than the bedroom, but not very private, a curtain or blinds would have been nice.
The food in the restaurant was sublime and what a place to eat! The breakfast was equally stunning.
Nice and quiet overnight. Bed was well worn one of those where you fall into the middle!
The staff were lovely people whom you could tell were invested in making it an experience. If it were not for the tiny room this would be among the best we have ever stayed in.

Room tip: Pick your room carefully
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter B
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2024

Dear peterbJ8509VN,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
I am sorry to learn that you were unhappy with your room, if you had mentioned it at the time my team would have done their very best to re-allocate you if there was the opportunity to do so.
Thank you for your very kind comments on the food you had in the Verederers, both for dinner and breakfast.
Thanks also for your kind comments regarding the staff which i have passed on to them all.
I hope that you will return to see us again, ensuring that you have a different room next visit to make us among the best hotels you have ever stayed in.
Director/Proprietor.

Reviewed 17 March 2024

This hotel is not only very well run, extremely accommodating and very friendly staff. Everything was just so and we and our four legged friend were made to feel very welcome. They even supply dog towels, treats and copious bowls of water. Dogs are allowed in the bar area so dining isn't a problem. We can't wait to return as the grounds are amazing but we didn't have enough time to visit the lake within the hotel's grounds, so that's on the list for our next visit. I was fortunate to meet the owner whilst we were staying there and I would like to congratulate them on running a first class hotel where guests are treated very much like family. It's such a shame other hotels do not operate quite so efficiently.

Room tip: Stay for at least 2 days to take in your surroundings and enjoy the delight of the Forest of Dean
Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2024

Dear 38vickid,,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave feedback on your recent stay with us at The Speech House.
I am delighted to read that you both had a great stay and that your four legged friend also had a great time .
Luca, our Dog Director, (see his blog page on our website) has also given a "Paws up" to say thank you for bringing you both with him.
I have passed on your very kind comments to all of the Speech House team and I know they will appreciate them.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Best wishes, stay safe.
Director.Proprietor.

Reviewed 7 March 2024

I found this to be a historic, rustic, friendly and comfortable hotel. It has seen better days but you’ll enjoy your stay . I was cosy and warm at night and ate well. It is a dog friendly hotel but you must really like dogs as the are a priority, even at the bar!

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2024

Dear Fussymoi,
Thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
Thank you for your kind comments and I am glad you were "cosy and warm and that you ate well".
We are at the heart of the forest and yes we do allow dogs with well behaved owners to use the hotel.
We get many customers who after walking their dogs pop into the orangery and bar for refreshments.
I am sorry if you were put off by a few dogs but in fairness there are never more than two or three in any one time and we restrict them to the bar and Orangery, not in the main restaurant area or other parts of the main hotel.
Once again I am pleased you had a good stay and I hope you will return when next in the area.
I have passed on your comments to all of my team.
Director/Proprietor

Reviewed 1 February 2024

A lovely, quaint & relaxing place to eat, drink & stay.
Staff are on the ball and very polite, great selection of drinks/wine/spirits etc, although the soft drinks are on the steep side. J2o in particular at £4 a bottle.
The buffet food was exceptional, fresh and plentiful.
Evening dinner was superb in their restaurant.
The room was a great size (Room 7) Not the most modern shower but it does the job.
Room was clean (I would never have known that dogs may have stayed in the room) It wouldn't have bothered me if I had known, I'm not a stuck up tw@ like some of the reviewers. As long as it's clean and comfortable, I'm happy.
I'd like to know the brand of wine served, my wife and sister-in law says it was "The best they've had" I remember it being a sauvignon blanc.

A great stay here under the circumstances for our visit and would highly recommend.
I won't be back, I mean that in a nice way (we traveled down to be at a funeral)

Date of stay: January 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2024

Dear Big-foodie-Ranger,
Many thanks for taking time out to leave a review on your recent stay with us.
I am pleased to read that you found the hotel to be a quaint and relaxing place to eat,drink and stay.
We do not allow dogs in the main house hotel, as we have dedicated rooms in the courtyard for well behaved dogs.
We are in the process of refurbishing bathrooms in the main house and room 7 is on the list for the future.
Thanks for your very kind remarks concerning the way my team looked after you all and the quality of our food throughout your stay.
Thank you also for your recommendation to other travellers and for entrusting us with your families wake.
With regard to the wine, we are in the throws of changing our wine list however, I think it was called "Between the Thorns" a N.Z Sauvignon Blanc.
I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey back up north.
Best wishes; stay safe,