Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Bradskis
Cinderford, United Kingdom

Lovely Afternoon Tea

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 4 weeks ago
We had a lovely Afternoon Tea today. The food was vey good and the service was excellent from start to finish - special thanks to Sue for her attentiveness, as nothing was too much trouble.
The Speech House is a very special Hotel set in the heart of the Forest of Dean loved by locals and visitors alike.
Date of stay: May 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this review
Responded 3 weeks ago
Dear Bradskis,,
Apologies for the late response but I have just returned from a short trip overseas.
Many thanks for leaving a review on when you visited us for Afternoon Tea.
Thank you for your very kind comments which I have passed on to all of my team, especially Sue, and I know they will appreciate them.
We all look forward to welcoming you back soon when you are next in the area.
Best wishes, stay safe.
      Fully refundable
      2.5 miles from The Speech House Hotel
      View more hotels in Coleford
      1,186 results
      All reviews courtyard room four poster verderers court forest of dean the main house historic hotel no lift main restaurant sculpture trail poster bed self service short break lovely room full english breakfast was excellent orangery wedding
      Selected filters
      Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were allocated room 26 .It was in a separate house to the hotel and as we opened the door if smelt damp. It proved to be a suite,a small lounge, bedroom and bathroom. The bedroom contained 2 single beds with clean linen and was fine.
      The walls throughout were wallpapered,overpainted with emulsion,which in some places was separating from the wall.
      The lounge had a settee and armchair,which were fairly worn and stained.
      The bathroom was small. Where the bath met the wall
      It had been sealed with a plastic strip ,which had black between it and the bath ?dirt?black mould. The toilet roll holder,the towel rail and they rail above the wash basin were all loose. The door between the toilet and lounge was an old sapele door which had clearly been reused since it had a large hole in it where a previous lock had fitted.. The tiling in the bathroom on the window sill was,to say the least amateur,and the dead fly behind the curtain remained throughout our 2 day stay
      When we complained the settee was covered with a loose cover but not the chair , the toilet roll holder was tightened but the other fitting remained loose and the manager told she was supprised as this was her favourite room.
      We were celebrating a. 60th wedding anniversary and thought we had booked a luxury hotel

• Trip type: Travelled with family
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear keitht398,
      Many thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
      I apologise for the delay in responding as I have just returned from being on a short trip overseas.
      I am sorry you were unhappy with with your accommodation and that you found the decor not to your satisfaction.
      I note you were staying on a room only basis and I am pleased that you were happy with your bedroom.
      My duty manager when you spoke to her immediately had a member of staff tighten the toilet roll holder and towel rail and also the loose cover was replaced, I am also given to understand that you were offered the opportunity to move rooms which you declined.
      With regard to the bathroom, it had been refurbished within the last 12 months and I am informed that the mold you commented on was actually 2 small spots on the sealant, for which I can only apologise, as the buck stops with me.
      I thank you for your feed back which we will use at our management meeting as we take all comments seriously.
      I would like to mention in our defense, that another guest who recently stayed in room 26 (see below) was extremely complimentary about the room and cleanliness, however, I appreciate it is down to individual opinions.
      We do not claim to be a luxury hotel, we are a high standard family owned and run hotel, offering a warm level of hospitality and customer care. We do our best to make guests relax and enjoy their stay.
      As I said earlier, the buck stops with me and I am sorry you were not happy with your room.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My sister in law, cousin & I had a wonderful stay at Speech House, made even better by the staff who could not do enough for us.
      We were attending a family wedding at a nearby castle in the forest, so we arrived the day before.
      We each had rooms in the Cottage annex. They were spotlessly clean, facilities were great (one room had a small sitting room as well!) & were very cosy.
      We dined in the main restaurant for dinner; the meal was tasty, well presented & service was excellent. We also used the same restaurant for breakfast each morning & it was just as good.
      The stand out for us were the friendly, efficient & helpful staff; this went from reception to restaurants to housekeeping, nothing was too much trouble for them.
      We were let down by our pre-ordered car service who didn’t turn up to take us to our wedding venue & they moved heaven & earth to get us there, despite it being nothing to do with them.
      The hotel is in a great spot for a visit to the beautiful Forest of Dean, but it’s the staff that made it a memorable visit for us.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear soc1965,
      Apologies for my late response but I have only just returned from a trip overseas.
      Many thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us when you were attending a local wedding.
      I am so pleased to read that you had a great stay and were both very happy with your rooms in the cottage.
      I am glad you that you enjoyed your cottage room with the small sitting room and found it spotlessly clean.
      Thank you for your very kind and complimentary comments regarding the way my team looked after you and that they managed to assist in getting you to the wedding service.
      I have passed on all of your comments to my team and we all jope to welcome you back when you are
      next in the area.

Reviewed 4 May 2024

Decided to stay two nights in a superior (dearer) room so we could relax. Room 10 looked terribly tired and needed a good lick of paint so it definitely didn't feel like its 'superior' title. It was very dusty in places (windowsills, radiators, heated towel rail).

The carpet might or might not have been clean but so badly stained it was impossible to tell and made us feel unsettled. The bed throw had a large, sticky stain on it (felt nauseous at this point) and a chair was so badly stained we stayed clear. Decided not to unpack because we didn't want to touch anything in the room.

We complained and was told we'd be moved the next morning. We certainly didn't have a relaxing night.

In the morning we had to move all our stuff to room 36 by ourselves. In the past when we once moved rooms because of faults with the room, we got an apology and our bags etc were moved for us.

Room looked OK initially but why is there a urinal taking pride of place in the bathroom? Generally, women don't like seeing urinals as they walk in and why position the bathroom bin directly underneath it? Hygienic?Not.

We didn't unpack as by this time we were already tired of it.

First find in this room was a stone under the bed (couldn't miss it as the bed is high in there). We didn't bring it in so presumably high beds aren't hoovered under (they should be).

To the left of a bedside cabinet was a very large and very obvious black thing (looked like an extending cord for a bag maybe, or a weird extendable shoelace).

Either way, it wasn't ours and we can only assume it was a gift from the previous occupants, missed because that area of the room wasn't hoovered either.

Dust on bathroom floor and towel rail.

Didn't want to keep complaining so decided to give up.

Final straw was being charged more because we'd been moved to a dearer room. It wasn't our fault the first room wasn't clean. We never asked for or wanted a dearer room, just a clean one. Shame on you Speech house for making us pay more, especially since neither room was clean.

To be fair and end on a positive, the service, ambience and food was all excellent in both The Orangery and the breakfast room.

Room tip: Take your own polish and duster.
      • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
      1  Thank annbO5690NM
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2024

Dear annb05590NM,
      Many thanks for taking time to leave feedback on your recent stay with us.
      I was dismayed to read your comments and I have spent two days investigating them and would like respond as follows:-
      Room 10 is a large room, with a king size bed and large sofa, and is traditionally furnished, and in good decorative order.
      Given your comment on the carpet being badly stained, my Head Housekeeper, inspected it and found no visible stains and the bedspread when inspected, was found to have no "Sticky Patch" but it was washed as you have made reference to it.
      My duty receptionist was approached by your husband after you had checked into your room, and asked if there was another room on the ground floor as you had great difficulty negotiating two flights of stairs due to your medical condition. He made no other comment regarding the condition of the room and was offered room 36, a superior ground floor room.
      The following morning, one of my Assistant Managers spoke to your husband and offered assistance to help move your luggage to room 36, which your husband declined saying he could manage.
      Room 36, is a large room with a modern 4 poster bed, two arm chairs and modern furnishings. The bath room has two hand basins a large bath with over head shower and yes a conventual toilet. There is in addition a modern gents urinal with cover. This accommodation was built and furnished out by a previous owner of the hotel. The small covered urinal is perfectly hygienic and the lidded waste bin is to the left of the urinal not directly under neath it. I can only apologise if you found the bathroom layout to be upsetting.,
      I am sorry that there was a small stone found under the four poster bed and I have raised that point with my house keeping team.That was not to out usual standard, however the bathroom floor is tiled and towel rail would have been dusted prior to putting your bathroom towels on.
      On checking you were charged the same rate for room 10 as you were for room 36. I would point out that our published rates are slightly higher for the Friday and the weekend.
      I am sorry that you were unhappy with your accommodation but wish that you had made us aware at your time of staying. The only thing we were made aware of was that you were unable to negotiate the stairs. We would have offered help with your luggage to move rooms when your husband first reported your difficulty with stairs had you have decided to move at that time.
      Thank you for your positive comments on the service, ambience and food throughout your stay.
      I felt it important to put the hotels side of your review, after lengthy investigation with all of my team.
      Once again I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but please be assured that your comments will be discussed at our heads of department meeting so as to try and improve our customer service even further.
      I hope you had a safe and uneventful journey home.
      Peter Hands.

Reviewed 3 May 2024

An excellent hotel - quite quirky! Bedrooms are comfortable, staff were wonderful, food was excellent. If you have access problems speak to reception and book with them as some rooms are up a steep staircase. There is a special access room complete with electric scooter!

Date of stay: April 2024
      Trip type: Travelled with friends
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2024

Dear abedeenjohn,
      Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
      Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your food and how my team looked after you throughout your stay. I have passed them on to all my team.
      Yes, we a listed building and unfortunately we have no lift in the main house. However, we do offer help with bags and cases for guests who struggle with stairs.
      Alternatively, we do have a selection of exterior rooms in the courtyard one of which has a wet room for those with mobility issues.
      As you point out we do also have a "Forest Tramper" for hire for those people who have difficulty walking and wish to explore the Forest.
      Thanks again for your feedback and we all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2024 via mobile

This was our first visit to The Speech House, which is situated in the heart of The Forest of Dean, and certainly was not disappointed, we have a dog so had a dog friendly room where they had provided dog bowls and towels, they also had a very large fenced field where you could exercise your dog.
      The room was ideal as our dog sleeps in a crate which fitted in well, the room was clean and tidy and had everything you required.
      There were two dining options fine dining in the restaurant or more casual dining in the Orangery which was also dog friendly. There was a very good selection of items for breakfast and A good menu choice for dinner.
      All the staff were extremely friendly and polite especially our young waitress, Rebecca, who looked after us in the Orangery. Although there were other events taking place in the hotel it didn’t impact on the service in the restaurants.
      We look forward to our next visit.

Room tip: Large carpark Forest walks on the doorstep Close to a number of towns
      Date of stay: April 2024
      Trip type: Travelled with friends
      Peter Hands, Owner at The Speech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2024

Dear BlueroanWarwickshire,
      Thank you for taking time to leave a review on your recent stay with us at the Speech House.
      I am so pleased to read that you had a great stay with your dog. It is great that we are able to offer an enclosed field for them to exercise.
      Many thanks for your very kind comments regarding the way my team looked after you throughout your stay, especially Rebeca which I have passed on to all my team.,
      Thank you also for your your comments on our food quality and choice.
      We all look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
      Best wishes, stay safe.