“Best pub I’ve been to in a long time”

The Miners Country Inn
Ranked #10 of 37 Restaurants in Coleford
Price range: US$4 - US$18
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Multi award winning pub in the Forest of Dean. Daily changing menus including Vegetarian, Gluten free, fresh fish and local meats and game. 98% of all produce sourced within the Forest of dean also award wining B&B
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We were visiting from London for walking in the wye valley region when we fell across this pub based on its reviews.

We can on a Thursday where we had a taste of the forest menu, two or three courses for £14/16. I had the boar burger which was honestly incredible.

We love the restaurant so much we came back the following night!

Fantastic food, fairly priced, all locally sourced and lovely staff. Best pub we’ve both been to in a long time!

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

We were a family of 4 arriving for Sunday lunch at 330pm.
We were told that Sunday lunch had finished but were suitably hungry and happy with the “standard” menu.

The kids had chicken nuggets and chips. You wouldn’t think much could go wrong but the chicken was burnt.

I had a platter which looked good on paper but the sausage roll was burnt.

My wife had the lamb shank and it was tasteless.

The menu read nicely but across the board it just wasn’t very good.

1  Thank Stuart J
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Got into pub 8pm. 9 of us having meals. My husband ordered a pint of Pinnacle real ale which he had to wait, (the barrel to be changed), our friend then arrived & ordered the same & recieved theirs straight away. My husband asked where his was as he had been waiting some time to which the waitress had a melt down & stormed off. We then had this guy come out of the kitchen to say my husband had been rude & that they couldn't serve us could we leave.
I assume on a Tuesday night they can afford to turn 9 meals away. We then went down the road to the OrlePool where we we greeted & nothing was too much trouble.

Date of visit: February 2018
2  Thank Sally L
steven j, Owner at The Miners Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

The nature of serving real ale can some times be complicated, it is not like a draught barrel that you can just change at any point in service, the lines need to be cleaned between each change, the barrels need to have been left to rest for long enough to settle, they need to be tapped and connected. Most times, we can predict when one will go, and we are set and ready to go on the other. Monday had seen an extraordinary amount of the real ale sold, which meant that when the one ale went on your first order we were a few minutes off having the other on. Another problem with the real ale is that you can get 'bad' barrels - a bit like steaks, you don't know that they are no good until you serve them.

Your party were served as one and two ales were ordered, we explained we would get them to you as soon as we could, the first two pints that came off the line were perfect so I bought them to the table and asked who they were for, they were claimed by the two gentlemen sat next to your husband. He then addressed me by saying 'Oi where is mine?' I explained only two had been ordered and went straight back to get the third. Unfortunately, it would not pour, so both myself and my partner tried to solve the problem, whilst my colleague returned to the table to explain why the wait was occurring, before being able to speak she was challenged as to where the pint was.

I could not get off a clean pint through the line, and despite trying to get it directly from the barrel, it wasn't clean and could not be served. I returned to the table to explain and to actually offer a complimentary drink as an apology for the wait, before I could do this your husband was once again rude and chastising.

My partner and I work incredibly long hours to run this business, we try to bend over backwards to accommodate people and 99 percent of the time thoroughly enjoy our work, but just because we are running a business that serves food and drink it does not mean that we have to tolerate rudeness, nor should our staff. Whilst we appreciate all business, sometimes it is just not worth tolerating rudeness for a few pound in our bank account. 'Oi' is definitely not a way to address someone, and it takes nothing to show a little bit of understanding and patience, and to talk to people in the manner that you would like to be spoken to.

I did not have a 'melt down' your husband was continually rude and I was not willing to tolerate it and continue to serve him.

Reviewed 25 February 2018

Great value for money. Staff were only too happy to help, nothing was too much trouble. We'll be back

Date of visit: June 2017
steven j, Owner at The Miners Country Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Many Thanks for the great review

Reviewed 24 February 2018 via mobile

Thanks again for a superb lunch. Lovely home made reduction. Mum had the fish cakes, and I had the home made mushroom tart. Always try to call in now when over walking the dog in the forest. Attentive service, excellent value for quality chef made cuisine. Thank you :)

Date of visit: February 2018

Many thanks for the great review