“Lovely Hotel with great communication and friendly staff”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
London
“Lovely Hotel with great communication and friendly staff”
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed for one night on DBB package. I made my booking via phone. Initially, when I rang the hotel, I had to leave a message on answerphone as nobody to answer personally, but I received a phone call back almost immediately from Ellie at reception who was most helpful.
I wanted a gold room but I'd left it too late when I booked so had to opt for the silver room instead. Looking at previous reviews, I was a bit worried about the size of room as lots had commented on how small they were, so I'd requested a larger silver room if possible.
We found parking easy, lots of spaces when we arrived. We were a bit early and room not ready so we had a wander to Mudeford Quay for some lunch at the local pub then a stroll into Christchurch which is a nice 20 min walk.
When we checked into our room (414), I was pleasantly surprised..nice size room, great bathroom, immaculately clean and a great view of the harbour (when standing up).
It was my husbands birthday and there was a card and chocolates left in the room which was a nice touch. One thing the room was lacking is air con. I can imagaine the rooms can get very hot in the summer. One negative about the bed..it seems like a very small double. It has a padded mattress topper on the bed but for some reason you feel like you are sleeping at an angle almost falling out...not sure why? Having said that, we managed a good nights sleep.
We used the spa area and pool which was great, again spotlessly clean.
For our evening meal in the Harbour restaurant, we could choose whatever we wanted from the A la carte menu which was nice and had a great selection to choose from, (but didn't include coffee).
Staff very courteous and a nice touch that they addressed you by name and always acknowledged you. (When we were out walking in the street earlier, the manager personally acknowledged us which was surprising but again a nice touch that he recognised his guests)
Breakfast was lovely. There is a buffet for cereals, juices etc and fully cooked breakfast to order. Found the service was slower this morning than in the evening though and staff a bit forgetful. I had to re order eggs as mine arrived slimey and I asked for well done, also I'd ordered ketchup which never arrived.. minor issue really and overall staff were great, very friendly and I would have no problems recommending this Hotel and it's lovely location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Beautiful hotel overlooking Mudeford Bay, with clean and well appointed rooms. The Spa is small but beautifully finished, and has all the necessary facilities. It is not over crowded which gives it a real sense of tranquility. The staff are the biggest asset, very friendly and helpful, amongst the best service we've recieved anywhere. Fantastic restauant overlooking the bay, food beautifully presented and the staff attentive without being obtrusive. Ideally located for access to the Jurassic Coast. Lovely to receive a letter from the General Manager after our return thanking us for the great feedback on the hotel and staff from the guest questionnaire we completed. Will happily stay there again and have been recommending it to others.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Dorset
Reviewed 20 March 2011

had a spa weekend there, the spa is fabulous, great restaurant, lovely room, only thing i can say they could improve on was to have a bit of live music on the piano at dinner in the eve, as it was lacking in atmosphere, but on the whole fab place - pay to upgrade to a sea view its so worth it!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Stayed at this Hotel on 18th March. What a lovely location. Was raining when we got there, but on Saturday morning is was beautiful sunshine so was able to have a walk round the harbour. The staff are great and the food is also great. We got a great deal which also included an hours spa treatment for each of us, lunch, dinner and breakfast. We highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be going again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2011

I had booked a 'spa weekend' deal to celebrate mine and a friends birthday, our package included dinner, accommodation, treatment, breakfast and use of the spa facilities.

A few weeks prior to our visit we received an email informing us that the spa would be closed for emergency works. As a result we were offered several choices: A cheaper price with an upgrade to our room and 2 course lunch on arrival included. A full refund or to change the date of our stay and have a complimentary room upgrade. Although very disappointed we decided that it would be better to keep the booking and go with the upgrade and lunch, as changing the date or finding a different hotel would have been difficult. The lady who contacted me was very friendly and also said she would put a bottle of chilled champagne in our room.

We were not disappointed. On arrival we were met by friendly staff offering to take our bags and holding doors. We had an amazing lunch with cocktails in the beautiful restaurant. Our room was ready early so after lunch we checked in to find that we not only had a garden view (as the upgrade promised) but a sea view as well. There were chocolates with our chilled champagne and complimentary bottled water The decor was lovely with soft chairs and very comfortable beds. The bathroom was surprisingly big with a bath and complimentary toiletries and robes. Dinner again was superb - especially the pudding.

The spa treatments were amazing - I had a full body mud wrap and was made to feel very relaxed and comfortable.

After checking out the next morning we were told we could leave the car in the car park whilst we went for a walk along the beach which was less than 10 minutes walk from the hotel.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back when the pool and other facilities are back open again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
nr Bristol
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We booked a weekend break at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel after reading some of the reiviews on t/a. We felt certain we would enjoy the weekend and have a well earned rest. Yes the hotel is in a lovely position, with clean rooms, yes the staff are welcoming and the food reasonable althought the service in the restaurant a little haphazard, and yes the spa area was relaxing.
Unfortunately we were most disappointed when we found on the saturday afternoon that not only were we unable to book a table at The Jetty (although that wasn't surprising) but when we contacted reception to book a table in the Harbour restaurant in the hotel we were told it was fully booked?! Reception suggested to see if there was a table available at the sister hotel in Christchurch but no luck there either although she did suggest we try the pub down the road?!
We checked out that evening as we do not go to stay in a hotel for the weekend only to find no tables available in the restaurant and then have to spend our evening driving around trying to find somewhere decent to eat!! We have never stayed in a hotel where we have not been able to eat in the restaurant, either in this country or abroad.
So, just as a warning if you do go to stay at this hotel ensure you book your table in the restaurant well in advance as they appear to fill it up with non resident guests and use the excuse (as we were told by reception) "well we are very busy you know" to which I suggested that perhaps the staff serving breakfast in the morning could enquire as to whether the guests "will be dining in the restaurant this evening".

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amethystcat
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I had previously been to a spa day last year here and really enjoyed it. For not much extra I thought it would be good to make a night of it next time. I booked up for myself and a friend to stay for a fairly good price including a one hour treatment, dinner and B&B. A couple of weeks later I was informed that the Spa facilities were under going unavoidable refurbishment/repair although we could still have the treatments. I was really disappointed but rang up to see if they could offer me a better deal. The lady on reception was very amenable and offered us an upgrade to a gold sea view room, 2 course lunch, 3 course a la carte dinner in the harbour restaurant, an hours treatment in the spa, complimentary champagne in our room and breakfast the next day - all for £198 for both of us.

I couldn't fault anything - the staff were very attentive and the food was outstanding. We never waited long at all for our food and the restaurant was busy (always a good sign!). We then had cocktails over at the Jetty after dinner and the service and atmosphere was again fantastic. Our room had a great view and was fairly big - the beds were the most comfy I have ever slept in and you seem to get lost in the duvet! Breakfast was also great and although buffet style the waitresses explained that we could order any type of eggs we wanted. Again the restaurant was busy but the staff were very polite and efficient.

There did appear to be a bit of a mix up with our spa treatments as we had been told 2 different times so I did feel a bit rushed to get there an hour earlier than we had originally planned but nonetheless the treatments were good and Spa was great the last time I went so it should be even better now if they are giving it a face lift!

I'm already planning on going back in May as I was so impressed. I have been to other spa deals before where the food has been very basic with no choice at all. I could not believe that we were allowed to choose anything we wanted off the menu's and only had to pay for a couple of glasses of wine (we even got 2 complimentary glasses at one point due to an incident over a bread roll!)

All in all a fantastic weekend getaway in a gorgeous location.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
#7 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!