“Lovely hotel - outstanding setting”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Oxfordshire, UK
“Lovely hotel - outstanding setting”
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We loved our 1 night stay here - we found the staff very friendly. The hotel is immaculate and has clearly recently been refurbished. Beautiful location overlooking Christchurhc Harbour - lovely outside terrace for drinks where you can admire the view. Our room was a bronze non-view room, but it was a large room - very modern and exceptionally comfortable - we felt quite at home. Yes the drinks are on the pricey side but if you can afford to stay here you can afford the drinks. Breakfast was also outstanding.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
London
Reviewed 28 April 2011

What a beautiful hotel, to have 25 degrees in the UK and to spend it on a terrace with cushioned wicker sofas (all very tasteful and modern) overlooking a harbour, then if you wished to walk down the steps on lay on cushioned immaculate sunbeds reading the paper sipping a wine!!I genuinely couldnt beleive I was in the UK, not to mention 2 hours from London!!!!Admittedly theweather was unbelieveable, but the hotel look, feel and quality of the hotel (with the terrace and grass area looking over the harbour) it felt closer to Cannes than Christchurch! What was really lovely was how the hotel remained quaint and personal despite being very new with all the mod cons. THe spa was as good as it looks in the photos just a shame the spa was on the lower floor, if that opened up to the outside it would be even more amazing.

I cannot stop thinking about how and when I am going to go back..unfortunately after our stay we went on to a more expensive hotel in the New Forest Carey's Manor which was extremely dissapointing following our stay it felt like we had gone down 2 stars desipite Carey's Manor being a 4 star.

We will be back!

Maidstone
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Can't wait to return! We had a 1 night stay on our way down to Studland during a very stressful time for us. The spa, views, staff, food were all wonderful. Room was a bit small, but we had a balcony overlooking the harbour and Henghist Point. There is nothing more wonderful than watching the tide coming in and out, the sun moving across the sky and the plethora of birds singing and winging.
The ferries are great and fun + we happened upon classic & modern cars & motorbikes on Mudeford 'promendade' on Sunday. Monday morning, glorious walk into Christchurch and way back into history.
This is a place we will return to and know we will enjoy and be spoilt!

Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel whilst attending a wedding. On arrival we were told by a very snotty receptionist that our room was not ready. We had to change in the spa changing rooms to get ready for the wedding, which we thought was very poor, as it was absolutely roasting hot in there, and not at all suitable for changing into our wedding outfits. The prices of the drinks were an absolute rip off! So much so that we ended up going up the road to a really nice pub, full of locals and with very much friendlier staff than at the hotel.
When we did eventually manage to get into our room, it was very nice [we had a bronze room] and the bed was very comfy.
This hotel caters for a certain type of clientelle - basically those with pots of money! You have been warned!!

1 Thank hannahd0rset
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2011

My wife and I stayed here while attending a wedding reception held at the hotel. I'd say a lot of the hotel's business would be weddings, as the wedding organisation was outstanding. The room we chose, overlooking the harbour, was beautiful and very clean. The only problem with the room was that it was right over the bar, and the spiral staircase acted as a funnel, amplifying the noise. OK, we were at a wedding, so you'd expect there to be a late bar, but the night porter hoovering the stairs at 2.00 the previous morning? That is just not acceptable. Apart from those negative points, we had a very enjoyable stay. I can't comment on the hotel restaurant, as we ate in the Jetty Restaurant, which was fabulous. My wife also enjoyed the spa.

London
Reviewed 17 April 2011

We stayed for one night on DBB package. I made my booking via phone. Initially, when I rang the hotel, I had to leave a message on answerphone as nobody to answer personally, but I received a phone call back almost immediately from Ellie at reception who was most helpful.
I wanted a gold room but I'd left it too late when I booked so had to opt for the silver room instead. Looking at previous reviews, I was a bit worried about the size of room as lots had commented on how small they were, so I'd requested a larger silver room if possible.
We found parking easy, lots of spaces when we arrived. We were a bit early and room not ready so we had a wander to Mudeford Quay for some lunch at the local pub then a stroll into Christchurch which is a nice 20 min walk.
When we checked into our room (414), I was pleasantly surprised..nice size room, great bathroom, immaculately clean and a great view of the harbour (when standing up).
It was my husbands birthday and there was a card and chocolates left in the room which was a nice touch. One thing the room was lacking is air con. I can imagaine the rooms can get very hot in the summer. One negative about the bed..it seems like a very small double. It has a padded mattress topper on the bed but for some reason you feel like you are sleeping at an angle almost falling out...not sure why? Having said that, we managed a good nights sleep.
We used the spa area and pool which was great, again spotlessly clean.
For our evening meal in the Harbour restaurant, we could choose whatever we wanted from the A la carte menu which was nice and had a great selection to choose from, (but didn't include coffee).
Staff very courteous and a nice touch that they addressed you by name and always acknowledged you. (When we were out walking in the street earlier, the manager personally acknowledged us which was surprising but again a nice touch that he recognised his guests)
Breakfast was lovely. There is a buffet for cereals, juices etc and fully cooked breakfast to order. Found the service was slower this morning than in the evening though and staff a bit forgetful. I had to re order eggs as mine arrived slimey and I asked for well done, also I'd ordered ketchup which never arrived.. minor issue really and overall staff were great, very friendly and I would have no problems recommending this Hotel and it's lovely location.

Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2011

Beautiful hotel overlooking Mudeford Bay, with clean and well appointed rooms. The Spa is small but beautifully finished, and has all the necessary facilities. It is not over crowded which gives it a real sense of tranquility. The staff are the biggest asset, very friendly and helpful, amongst the best service we've recieved anywhere. Fantastic restauant overlooking the bay, food beautifully presented and the staff attentive without being obtrusive. Ideally located for access to the Jurassic Coast. Lovely to receive a letter from the General Manager after our return thanking us for the great feedback on the hotel and staff from the guest questionnaire we completed. Will happily stay there again and have been recommending it to others.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
#7 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!