“Great Wedding Location”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed here as part of a 100 person wedding.The wedding was marvelous and it is a fantastic location for such an event with gardens down to the waters edge.As we arrived to early to get into our rooms I used the Spa and put my wedding togs on in the changing rooms.The spa was great and I would go back just for this.Perfect for the morning after a wedding before the long drive home.The service,the staff and our room were without complaint.The staff were well trained and remained calm though out,even with large numbers of guests with the same surname !They also gave us a reduced rate on the room at check .The parking is limited when large weddings are going on so arrive as early as you can.They operate a double parking service.This was a really happy event for me but I am not sure if I would feel the same if I wasnt part of the wedding event which clearly take the Hotel over.Several people in our party stayed before and after the wedding and didnt see this is as an issue.Still time for breakfast on the terrace!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
ThomasSHuber, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the shortcomings of service during breakfast. My team and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel when I was in Mudeford for a wedding (which was also at the hotel). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and would definitely come back. The room was great, and I had the best sleep that I have had a long time. Sitting on the deck overlooking the harbour for breakfast was just lovely, as was the spa and pool.

My only complaint was that the floorboards in the corridor were quite squeaky, and as such it was quite noisy. You could also hear other guests talking as they passed your room in the hallway. Despite this, I still had a great night sleep, probably because the bed was so comfortable. Also, I didn't get great service at breakfast - I had to ask for a menu (they seemed to be approaching other tables proactively), and even once I did it still took a long time for another staff member to come and take my order. The food wasn't brilliant, but it was totally fine and there was good variety.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
ThomasSHuber, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the shortcomings of service during breakfast. My team and I hope to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 4 September 2011

When you walk into the hotel you get a warm welcome by the bell boy. My sister and I walked into our room and when the weddings Were on we loved peeking through our window to see what the bride looked like ! The pool me and my sister to loved or though children are only allowed in it at 8:30 to 10:00 3:30 to 5:00.The view looks on to the harbour the hotel is great for weddings and just for a causal holiday .!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This should and could be a fantastic hotel but left us disappointed.

Our welcome on arrival was very good. Parking is an issue but the concierge will move your car so is not really a problem unless you want to come and go often. The receptionist was efficient and helpful, responding to some queries that we had.

We were taken to our bronze room and initially were pleased with it, that is until we realised we were right by the housekeeping cupboard and smoking congregation point. This did mean that we could hear talking outside on several occasions and that we couldn't open the window unless we wanted cigarette smoke coming in. There was a faint whiff of sewerage in the room, which would have been helped if we could have opened the window. Usually I would say that you don't stay in a hotel for the view alone but we didn't expect a view of housekeeping and a ca rpark.

The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. No bath in our room only a shower but this didn't bother us but might others. We could hear guests from other rooms including a crying baby.

The spa is lovely and we enjoyed all the hydrotherapy pool with the neck jet. The steam room was especially good. There were several children staying in the hotel and they are welcome to use the spa between 3.30pm and 5.00pm. Unfortunately there were several children still in the pool at 5.30pm doing what children will in a pool, i.e. laughing, splashing and jumping in. I don't hate children, far from it, but did feel this detracted the enjoyment of the adults using the facilities and it was well in to 'grown-up' time. To ensure the comfort and enjoyment of all perhaps the spa staff could ensure that all users are aware of the time that children are welcome, thus enabling all to stick to the times that would suit them best and get the most from their stay.

There was a wedding going on in the hotel when we stayed. This caused some extra pressure on the staff and the disco could be heard in the restaurant. We had to wait ages to be given a menu and then to have our order taken. Although never rude the staff seemed rushed off their feet. We were aware of staff rushing past us and cutting through the small spaces between tables. This atmosphere did rub off on diners and was not very relaxing. Our wine, when it eventually arrived had not been chilled. My husband and I ordered scallops with a tomato gremolata as a starter. There was no mention of bacon on the menu and I was not happy when this came out with the dish. I mentioned this to the waitress but was not offered an apology. My fish main course was okay but was not something special. There was no seasoning on the dish or dressing on the vegetables. The sticky toffee pud was good but not dressed, it would have been better with some clotted cream for example. we noticed that other diners had less than perfect meals and had sent some food back to the kitchen. In fairness the Maitre 'D did apologise the following evening and the atmosphere together with the food was better. However, a wedding should not cause a hotel of this quality to not offer good food and service in the restaurant.

The breakfast menu was varied and very good. Plenty of everything and offered haddock or kippers for example as well as the traditional full English. Tea and coffee arrived promptly with mixed toast. Although the weather was not perfect it was still a treat to take coffee and pastries on the decking. The view was stunning and is part of what should make this hotel fantastic. The hotel was very clean and looked as if it had had a refurbishment fairly recently. The decor suited the style very well.

If staying in this hotel I would recommend the walk to Christchurch via the Mudeford Quay. Take the ferry and have a saunter part the brightly coloured beach huts, keep going until you reach the Wick ferry which will take you into Christchurch. The town itself and park are lovely but the range of shops is narrow, lots of tea shops and not much else.

I would go to this hotel again but would check if there was a wedding and what room we were allocated beforehand.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greymalkin_10
ThomasSHuber, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate your feedback and are constantly evaluating, learning and improving as a result. I sincerely apologise for the shortcomings of service you experienced during your stay, this is not our usual level of service - we work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing all of the points raised in your review. Once again, thank you for the time taken.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Recently stayed here with my wife as we celebrated our wedding anniversary. What a lovely hotel in a beautiful location. Rooms were modern and decor was good. Everything appeared to be very clean and tidy. The service was exceptional and the food was delicious! So much so that my wife is still talking about it now!

• Stayed: August 2011

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We came home yesterday from a four night stay at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel. We had the most amazing time. The hotel is beautifully decorated and furnished and is very luxurious but has a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. As a family with children aged 13 and 5 we wondered how we would fit in but we needn't have worried, there was something for all of us.
The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, we would particularly like to mention one of the waiting/bar staff who greeted us in such a friendly way each evening and even knew which drinks we were going to order before we had to ask! Unfortunately we didn't get his name but he had a Liverpudlian accent so I'm sure he'll know who he is!!
The pool and spa are wonderful. The children were allowed to use the pool at certain times each day which we thought was a good idea as we didnt have to worry too much about disturbing other people.
We didn't eat at the hotel in the evenings but the breakfasts were delicious. There were lots of cereals, yoghurts, crossaints etc to choose from and a wonderful cooked breakfast could be ordered.
Our room was lovely with every possible comfort. Very tastefully decorated, comfortable beds and spaciuos bathrooms.
The location of the hotel is perfect, looking out across the harbour and only a short walk to Mudeford quay. We enjoyed catching the ferry to Mudeford sanspit and walking over Hengistbury head.
All in all we thought this hotel was as close to perfect as you could get and the children are already asking when can we go again?!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel have a sea view, the front rooms look out over the car park but there...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 25 August 2011

We booked a family room which I was told would consist of a room with a double bed, a room with twin beds and a bathroom. Very disappointed and shocked to find that there was no bath - only a shower and you virtually had to step over the toilet to get into it. I asked to speak to the General Manager and told him the room was unacceptable as a family room - I expected to be able to bath my two small children - they do not have showers as they are old enough. We were told there were only two family rooms in the hotel and that another family had checked in before us - into the family room which did have a bath. We were offered use of a room across the corridor for the first three nights - so we could use its bathroom (inconvenient but we had no choice) and then we transferred into the other family bedroom for the last two nights of our 5 night stay. We were given help moving our stuff, but nevertheless it was a hassle and time consuming.

Staff exceptionally efficient, helpful and polite, though one or two of the receptionists seemed a little frosty - especially to my children. Bedroom and bathroom/shower room both small. Bed only a small double. Some areas of peeling paint in the corners of the ceiling in the corridor of one room and the bathroom of the other. Room tray charge unwelcome. Wii room was welcome and enjoyed by my kids. Car park tiny and double parking often necessary. The Jetty restaurant was superb. No kids menu but they happily made pasta and a delicious tomato sauce for my kids (so good that they demanded it again the next day) - even though seafood is The Jetty's speciality.

Spa and pool were stylish though small. Also in a basement, so claustrophobic and mood lighting in the pool was not child friendly. I could hardly seem my kids it was so dark.

I would say children are tolerated rather than welcomed, but the crabbing buckets and net/lines supplied by reception (and bait!) gave my kids hours of enjoyment of Mudeford Quay.

Nice location. Great views. Internet connection erratic and slow.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank henrietta72
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#8 of 11 in Christchurch
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
#14 of 67 in Bournemouth

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!