“We loved the Spa” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Bradford-on-Avon, United Kingdom
“We loved the Spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Special visit to celebrate a schoolfriend's 60th birthday, to which my daughter (24) came too to one of the Spa packages http://www.christchurch-harbour-hotel.co.uk/spa/spa-day. The visit includes a treatment, use of the spa facilities and then a choice of meals in the restaurant. Because of the layout, you need to be properly dressed to go to the restaurant, so we chose to arrive early pm, had our treatment - we all had back massages at the same time - really excellent massages too and a good half hour of luxury pampering. We then used the spa facilities, sat outside in the sun for a while reading, and generally had a lazy time. We had opted for an evening meal and when we were ready went up to the dining room and sat on the terrace with the most wonderful view across the harbour until it was time for dinner. The dinner was the set three course menu, but we invited to apply the amount against the al a carte, which we did - and the food was delicious and excellently served. If we had stayed with the set menu, that too looked great - we just didn't feel we wanted three courses.
All in all an excellent spa visit....
The only grumble was that the ladies changing room is very small and although they have maximised space as well as they can, it is stil squashed with more than half a dozen in there....
My comments are just about the spa and dining room. We didn't stay at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ThomasSHuber, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the shortage of space in the changing room. I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (490)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

I have stayed at this hotel about 3 or 4 times (as a couple and with friends) and I still think this hotel is excellent. Regarding previous reviews the service in the restaurant could be quicker but that is about it. The rooms are very well appointed and I have never heard any corridor noise or disturbance from other rooms. It has a stunning outlook and there is loads to do in the area. Definitely book the Jetty - it really is special. I wish they would have a loyalty scheme!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

bournemouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2011

I spoke to two reservations staff, one couldn't be more helpful, the other (Rachel) had a very 'matter fo fact, take it or leave it' attitude. Ths was a special occasion, my wife's birthday, and I would have expected a little more consideration and care in helping me decide on what reservation to make. Once at the hotel, the service, attitude, assistance and service couldn't have been better - with the exception of an interminable wait for breakfast following our order - a thoroughly enjoyable stay that could so easily have fallen at the first hurdle with an offhand member of the reservation staff. We were in a 'Gold' room whcih was well appointed if not a little small but attention to detail with the decor and furnishings is exceptional throughout the hotel. Well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a first or second floor room facing the harbour - preferably with good views and/or a balcon...
Newcastle UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

I stayed here as part of a 100 person wedding.The wedding was marvelous and it is a fantastic location for such an event with gardens down to the waters edge.As we arrived to early to get into our rooms I used the Spa and put my wedding togs on in the changing rooms.The spa was great and I would go back just for this.Perfect for the morning after a wedding before the long drive home.The service,the staff and our room were without complaint.The staff were well trained and remained calm though out,even with large numbers of guests with the same surname !They also gave us a reduced rate on the room at check .The parking is limited when large weddings are going on so arrive as early as you can.They operate a double parking service.This was a really happy event for me but I am not sure if I would feel the same if I wasnt part of the wedding event which clearly take the Hotel over.Several people in our party stayed before and after the wedding and didnt see this is as an issue.Still time for breakfast on the terrace!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
ThomasSHuber, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the shortcomings of service during breakfast. My team and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

I stayed at the hotel when I was in Mudeford for a wedding (which was also at the hotel). I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, and would definitely come back. The room was great, and I had the best sleep that I have had a long time. Sitting on the deck overlooking the harbour for breakfast was just lovely, as was the spa and pool.

My only complaint was that the floorboards in the corridor were quite squeaky, and as such it was quite noisy. You could also hear other guests talking as they passed your room in the hallway. Despite this, I still had a great night sleep, probably because the bed was so comfortable. Also, I didn't get great service at breakfast - I had to ask for a menu (they seemed to be approaching other tables proactively), and even once I did it still took a long time for another staff member to come and take my order. The food wasn't brilliant, but it was totally fine and there was good variety.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ThomasSHuber, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the shortcomings of service during breakfast. My team and I hope to welcoming you back in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

When you walk into the hotel you get a warm welcome by the bell boy. My sister and I walked into our room and when the weddings Were on we loved peeking through our window to see what the bride looked like ! The pool me and my sister to loved or though children are only allowed in it at 8:30 to 10:00 3:30 to 5:00.The view looks on to the harbour the hotel is great for weddings and just for a causal holiday .!

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Horsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

This should and could be a fantastic hotel but left us disappointed.

Our welcome on arrival was very good. Parking is an issue but the concierge will move your car so is not really a problem unless you want to come and go often. The receptionist was efficient and helpful, responding to some queries that we had.

We were taken to our bronze room and initially were pleased with it, that is until we realised we were right by the housekeeping cupboard and smoking congregation point. This did mean that we could hear talking outside on several occasions and that we couldn't open the window unless we wanted cigarette smoke coming in. There was a faint whiff of sewerage in the room, which would have been helped if we could have opened the window. Usually I would say that you don't stay in a hotel for the view alone but we didn't expect a view of housekeeping and a ca rpark.

The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean. No bath in our room only a shower but this didn't bother us but might others. We could hear guests from other rooms including a crying baby.

The spa is lovely and we enjoyed all the hydrotherapy pool with the neck jet. The steam room was especially good. There were several children staying in the hotel and they are welcome to use the spa between 3.30pm and 5.00pm. Unfortunately there were several children still in the pool at 5.30pm doing what children will in a pool, i.e. laughing, splashing and jumping in. I don't hate children, far from it, but did feel this detracted the enjoyment of the adults using the facilities and it was well in to 'grown-up' time. To ensure the comfort and enjoyment of all perhaps the spa staff could ensure that all users are aware of the time that children are welcome, thus enabling all to stick to the times that would suit them best and get the most from their stay.

There was a wedding going on in the hotel when we stayed. This caused some extra pressure on the staff and the disco could be heard in the restaurant. We had to wait ages to be given a menu and then to have our order taken. Although never rude the staff seemed rushed off their feet. We were aware of staff rushing past us and cutting through the small spaces between tables. This atmosphere did rub off on diners and was not very relaxing. Our wine, when it eventually arrived had not been chilled. My husband and I ordered scallops with a tomato gremolata as a starter. There was no mention of bacon on the menu and I was not happy when this came out with the dish. I mentioned this to the waitress but was not offered an apology. My fish main course was okay but was not something special. There was no seasoning on the dish or dressing on the vegetables. The sticky toffee pud was good but not dressed, it would have been better with some clotted cream for example. we noticed that other diners had less than perfect meals and had sent some food back to the kitchen. In fairness the Maitre 'D did apologise the following evening and the atmosphere together with the food was better. However, a wedding should not cause a hotel of this quality to not offer good food and service in the restaurant.

The breakfast menu was varied and very good. Plenty of everything and offered haddock or kippers for example as well as the traditional full English. Tea and coffee arrived promptly with mixed toast. Although the weather was not perfect it was still a treat to take coffee and pastries on the decking. The view was stunning and is part of what should make this hotel fantastic. The hotel was very clean and looked as if it had had a refurbishment fairly recently. The decor suited the style very well.

If staying in this hotel I would recommend the walk to Christchurch via the Mudeford Quay. Take the ferry and have a saunter part the brightly coloured beach huts, keep going until you reach the Wick ferry which will take you into Christchurch. The town itself and park are lovely but the range of shops is narrow, lots of tea shops and not much else.

I would go to this hotel again but would check if there was a wedding and what room we were allocated beforehand.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Greymalkin_10
ThomasSHuber, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 September 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate your feedback and are constantly evaluating, learning and improving as a result. I sincerely apologise for the shortcomings of service you experienced during your stay, this is not our usual level of service - we work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing all of the points raised in your review. Once again, thank you for the time taken.

Thomas Huber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
Premier Inn Christchurch / Highcliffe Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!