“Lovely Hotel with one small problem.”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
london
“Lovely Hotel with one small problem.”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed here for one night in April of this year. We found an offer for a discounted room with £60 towards dinner and free breakfast. We thought it was good deal and weren’t disappointed.
I will try to keep it brief.
Rooms are very clean and extremely comfy. All mod cons and bathroom was immaculate.
The dinning and breakfast area overlook the Christchurch bay, so try and get a window seat or if it’s warm enough sit outside. Breakfast is cooked to order so it’s always fresh and hot, or you can have the contentinal which you help yourself too.
Dinner was very nice and service excellent. It would have been quite expensive but we had the money off deal so it was good value in the end. There is also a seperate restaurant in the grounds called The Jetty which is owned by celebrity chef Alex Aitken. www.thejetty.co.uk/

The hotel has a lovely swimming pool and spa area which we thought was lovely. Steam room, Sauna Jacuzzi and more. All very nice and up to date and clean.

Didn’t find much to-do in the area, but if you like walks there is a footpath that walks along the sea front. There you will find various fish stalls, cafes and the mudford ferry that serves fish & chips on board. www.mudefordferry.co.uk/

Now for the one problem that I think this hotel has. We stayed here in April and the temperature outside wasn’t warm buy any means in the 50's. When we went to bed, the room seemed quite warm but by the middle of the night we had to put the fan on to get a bit cooler. Now if you are here mid-summer the rooms must be unbearable. I dont understand why a luxury hotel such as this does not have air conditioners.

We will stay here again, just not when its hot.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
ThomasSHuber, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us despite the temparature issue in your room. I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Thomas Huber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Having just had a spa break at this wonderful hotel, I can only say try it, Fantastic location, Fantastic staff, Fantastic food. and the spa is (Fan) enough fantastics but it is WONDERFUL. from the minute we arrived to checking out the staff were helpful, polite and proffesional. after 4 hours relaxing in the spa, we had the most amazing lunch on the decked terrace in beautiful sunshine. Our evening Dinner was equaly as impresive as was the service. The Harbour Hotel Group have impressed me, I loved the St Ives Harbour Hotel and the Christchurch Harbour is now firmly on my Radar. I will be booking another spa break soon. If I had to find one negative it would be the car parking, quite a small car park that gets very busy. Still worth 9 out of 10 though.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I know that the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

A fantastic hotel in an amazing location. Excellent breakfast and fantastc food in The Jetty restaurant. But why, why ,why do staff in so called boutique hotels have to have such attitude? Don't get me wrong some of the staff where great including the sommelier, he was funny and his knowledge was outstanding, but one or two just let the side down.

This hotel has the capability to be truely great but unfortunately for me it's not quite there.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StuBendall
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate your feedback and are constantly evaluating, learning and improving as a result. I sincerely apologise for the service that you received during your stay, this is not the usual attitude of our team - we work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing the point raised in your review. May I encourage you to contact me personally for more details.

guildford
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The hotel has wonderful views over the harbour and the food is nice but unimaginative,gastro pub type.
There is no air conditioning in either the bedrooms or hotel restaurants and bars.
Our request for our desert and desert wines at dinner to be served on the terrace refused as too difficult!!The restaurant was uncomfortably hot.The waiting staff kept banging my wife's chair,not once did they apologise. Reluctantly we were allowed to change tables.
We stayed ,thankfully, for only one night this weekend.Our room was small with one window looking out into a concrete wall within touching distance.The tiny bathroom was the smallest we have ever come across,there was not enough room to dry oneself after a shower.It had been built in a corner of the bedroom.They looked well maintained and clean...until I dropped something on the floor and had to retrieve it from under the bed...ugh!
The staff were not helpful and poorly trained.
Our early morning call did not materialise.
Parking is a nightmare,one guest had his car blocked in and the hotel staff had no idea whose car was causing the problem.

1 Thank hallbower
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate your feedback and are constantly evaluating, learning and improving as a result. I sincerely apologise for any poor service that you received during your stay, this is not our usual level of service - we work very closely with our staff to ensure high standards and I can assure you that we will be assessing all of the points raised in your review.

Ringwood, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Following my Daughter and Son-in-law’s Wedding last Friday and their Wedding Breakfast and evening reception at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel, I would like to write and thank all the members of staff on duty for all their hard work and dedication, for making their day such a relaxed and enjoyable experience.
From our first meeting with Cyan McClumpha at a Wedding Fayre at Highcliffe Castle, approximately 3 years ago, to the organisational meetings with Sophie Tattam prior to the wedding, to the staff who met us on arrival at the Hotel last Thursday afternoon, and Chris McIntyre who came on duty 4pm Thursday and his team who were there to support us throughout our stay until Saturday morning.
However I feel a special thanks must go to Chris McIntyre, the Events Manager, for all his hard work and support to my whole family, who worked tirelessly to ensure that all our needs were met at all times, making sure that my daughter’s wedding plans were all put into place, that the day was flawless, and ensuring that all of our guests experienced such excellent service that they were all commenting how each and everyone felt they had been made to feel special. Nothing was too much trouble, and Chris was constantly communicating between ourselves or my daughter. For us, what could have been a really stressful day instead became a most enjoyable, stress free day, and knowing that our guests were well catered for, which made the whole process such an enjoyable occasion for us all.
Working alongside Chris was Sher who also worked very long hours on the event, and again she was such a delight to have supporting Chris and the rest of his team. Her helpful, cheerful manner did not go unnoticed and again we would like her valuable input noted.
We had many comments from family and friends attending the Wedding Breakfast and I feel I need to pass on the positive comments that we received. Firstly, that the staff were helpful, pleasant and always happy to help on any requests that were put to them. The food for the wedding breakfast and the evening reception was very tasty, well presented and of ample quantity. Another comment that was made was that the glasses of drinks were constantly being topped up and the glasses were never left to go empty.
An additional bonus for the day was the presence of Mike Judd, the Toast Master, who worked well alongside Chris and his team, and made sure that certain procedures were carried out, i.e. gifts for the small children, supplying a microphone for the speeches, making sure that the hotel were doing their job, and taking charge of the whole Wedding Breakfast. With the presence of Mike and Chris working tirelessly together, my wife and myself were able to enjoy this special time knowing that everything was is such safe hands, making the day go so smoothly.
The hotel and setting are superb and the rooms that my family members occupied for their stay were all very comfortable and spotlessly clean. They all stayed 2 nights, experiencing good service from the housekeeping and reception staff, and good food.
Please will you extend my comments on to the members of staff who helped make our stay so pleasurable and gave my daughter and our son-in-law such a wonderful start to their married life.

Steve Smith

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Steve S
Dear Mr Smith

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Hotel on this site, we appreciate all feedback and are delighted that the daughter’s and your son in law had a fabulous day and enjoyed their wedding day and the stay with us. I know that Chris and the team will be extremely motivated by your praise. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I was part of a 'hen party' that visited the spa recently. Though a large group, we were very well looked after by friendly, courteous staff. All of the group commented on how impressed they were with their treatments. Lunch was included, and the food in The Harbour Restaurant was excellent, we very much appreciated how the tables had been set up, overcoming the problem of anyone feeling stranded at the end of a long table at such a sociable event. We all endorsed the view it was thoroughly enjoyable day, especially the bride to be. Many thanks again to all the staff at the spa!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I decided to propose to my girlfriend and wanted to do it in a location we both loved which is Dorset and settled on Durston Country Park Swanage. We both love swanage and enjoy staying at the Purbeck Hotel.

I had spent many month researching Luxury hotels and decided that the Chrstchurch Harbour would be Ideal as it looked stunning from it's photo's, was located close to Swanage and had a Spa attached. I booked one nights bed and breakfast Gold room with a Garden View because unfortunately the sea view rooms weren't available. I also booked a spa package for the following day so we could both relax and a Indian head massage for my fiance on our night off arrival. Along with a reservation for afternoon tea

Once we arrived at the hotel we felt very welcomed and the staff were friendly. We checked in and then went for our afternoon tea (which was delicious and very filling). Later we went to the spa so my fiance could have her indian head massage and I had a swim.

We had decided to eat out as we had Lunch reservations the following day in the hotel and wanted to eat in the town center at one of our favorite restaurants Prezzo. We went into town and had our dinner and a few drinks before returning to the hotel for a night cap.

Although our room was lovely there was one major gripe which was that the Heater in the room No.112 it was constantly on and would not switch off. Even when it was set to 0 it carried on pumping heat out. This wasn't a problem until about 3.00am when we both woke up and were absolutely boiling. I had to get up and get the fan which was provided out of the wardrobe but all this did was circulate the warm air. In the end we had to open the door and leave it open for the rest off the night. Although this wasn't a problem we did not sleep very well as we were worried about the security of our room as anyone could just walk in through the garden.

Upon check out we informed the staff off this issue and although they were apologetic we felt it could have been dealt with a bit better.

We later had our spa package which included use of the pool and a 40 min massage each followed by lunch. The spa facilities are top class and the the massages were excellent however unfortunately the jacuzzi was broken. We had our lunch which was nice (apart from half the menu has extra money to pay which I hate why not just have a meal limit and charge for everything singularly) I went back to pay for the package and they apologized for the Jacuzzi being broken with out me even saying anything. They offered two free return cards plus 15% off massages which could be used until December. They also asked if we were offered a free glass of champagne with lunch, which we wasn't. So afterwards the staff took us back up to the restaurant for a free glass of champagne which was a nice gesture.

Overall the spa facilities and the hotel were excellent it is ideally located in a very scenic location.

I had decided to pay a bit more for the best room as it was a very special and meaningful night away for us, but I wish I has gone for a cheaper room as maybe the heating would have switched off. This did put a bit of a dampener on our stay and I had originally booked the hotel with a view to getting married there but the bad nights sleep has somewhat put my fiance off and I kind off wish I had booked Purbeck House were we have been before.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and maybe I'm being a bit niggly but you only get engaged once and I just wanted everything to be perfect

Room Tip: Do not go for 112 unless you enjoy being warm all night