“Nice South Coast Hotel”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is a nice hotel to stay in, not cheap for where it is but nice all the same.

The hotel is out from Central Christchurch with a terrace facing the harbour.

The room was quite small for one that was meant to have been above the basic standard but still comfortable.

The food was good, the breakfast choice was good but less than one would expect for the price.

The evening meals were all in the main hotel building as we did not have time to try out the award winning restaurant on the same premises so we might have rated the food to be higher otherwise. The evening meals finished earlier than would be normal in a hotel. The food was good however.

The waiting staff were all very pleasant and helpful as were the front desk staff. There was the notable absence of assitance with getting the luggage to the room and for a hotel pitching itself at this level, this is not good enough.

The bar was ok but there was a nice enough lounge area and the terrace facing the harbour is a nice place to have a drink outside.

The gym facility was a tight squeeze, better than none at all but for a hotel promoting itself as a spa hotel, it was well short of the mark. The spa treatments were almost all booked out so one has to consider how much resources it put in to this key selling element of the hotel. The spa front desk staff could perhaps do with some enlightenment.

This is a hotel we could visit again but it is nowhere near I would expect a spa hotel to be. The service was a mismatch with the front desk and waiting staff being very good but after that the standard varied. For the money charged, this should be a better venue.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LoughtonEppingForest
MRegenhardt, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Greetings from Dorset to Essex. Thanks so much for your posting. I have noted the elements that you enjoyed during your stay, however I am dissapointed that we have not fully met your expectations. I have discussed your comments/review with the team and I do hope that when down next on the South Coast you will give us another try.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,953)

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Stayed at the hotel after making a reservation at the Jetty, see separate review. room is comfortable and well appointed. My wife had a great spa experience and could not recommend it enough. Breakfast could be a little more organised, you sort of wonder in and sit down and wait for you order to be taken, this seems to happen sporadically and not that well controlled. After ordering my breakfast got up helped myself to some juice returned to my table and found another couple had decided this was a good place to sit. So had to evict them which was a little embarrassing, would have been avoided if tables had been allocated on arrival. At nearly £18 a breakfast you think this would be the normal. The breakfast when it did arrive was miniscule I ordered bacon eggs sausage and got one rasher one sausage and one egg. I mentioned the very small size and told if you wanted more than one rasher of bacon you should have asked...! This was the only real downside of the experience..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Christchurch to Chicester. Focusing on the positive I am delighted that your wife had a great Spa experience. However, I was less than pleased to learn about your breakfast experience - service and food wise. For the price paid the service and the food were not up to our usual high standard and I have reviewed both with my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Visited the spar as part of a package when we stayed at a sister hotel - Kings Hotel in Christchurch.

Spar very well appointed to a high standard.

From our point of view the level of lighting spoiled the experience. There is no natural light and the level of artificial light was very low making it very gloomy. I found it difficult to read the instruction notices let alone read a book or paper, which was a shame as we would have lingered longer.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Good evening from Christchurch. Thank you so much for your overall positive review of our Harbour Spa and I noted your comments re the lighting levels. I appreciate the lighting levels are low to enhance the relaxation atmosphere however I will discuss with Alice my Spa Manager to ensure that they are high enough to enable our guests to read the provided literature or instructions.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Booked a table for sunday lunch and we were so impressed with the standard of food and for the price. Been too many places for sunday lunch and its been poor but this place was lovely and the staff were so friendly towards us. Would come back!

Room Tip: sunday lunch is amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Greetings Abby. Delighted to read your fantastic review of our Sunday Lunch and the only thing that I can say is -please tell your freinds. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here at the weekend and had a brilliant time! I bought the package through spa breaks so I was a bit sceptical but it was brilliant!

Inside the hotel is lovely, the room was amazing and a lot more than I was expecting, massive bed and very comfy! Bathroom was very nice and big too. Same with wardrobe space. Got a tv aswell with freeview channels so bonus for some!

We had dinner in the harbour restaurant and it was great, both had steak which was amazing! If booking through a package they may not tell you theres a £30 pp limit for food but was enough if having only 2 courses which was fine for us.

Spa facilities were really nice, big pool, hydrotherapy pool was lovely too and neck jet, it looks like the pictures- everything as seen! Good changing facilities too. We both had the aromatherapy full body massage which was amazing and relaxing.

Breakfast was again very nice, cooked breakfast and other food available, lovely! We realised in the morning the sea was right infront of us so if the weathers nice it would be perfect.

Altogether had a great experience and definitely recommend! We had no trouble parking either.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hello Sophie2592. Always great to read that the team and hotel have delivered on all levels. Reviews like yours make it all worthwhile and I look forward to welcoming back to the Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was probably our twelfth stay at this slightly quaint but excellently well upgraded hotel overlooking Mudeford Harbour and the River Avon. It takes very little for us to find an excuse to book a stay here and again the Harbour Hotel delivered the goods. Well appointed rooms, extremely kind and courteous staff and fantastic views all guarantee a great stay.The added bonus of the Jetty Restaurant and the wonderful walks along Hengistbury Head ensured we were totally relaxed, well fed and well exercised.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear overlooking the harbour are great
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Good evening Alan P. 12 stays - with so much choice down here on the South Coast I really value your continuous support and long may it last. Please let me know when staying with us next as I would be delighted to meet with you personally.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Rooms are lovely and the location is stunning, on a sunny day it is easy to imagine you are on the French Riviera.
Staff very welcoming and helpful at every turn.
We got married at the hotel and spent our wedding night here, the extra touches in our room were lovely but even without these extra touches the rooms are still lovely.
The events team that organised our special day were excellent, and both ourselves and our guests enjoyed a well manages, relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable day.
We can think of nothing adverse to say about the hotel or it's staff.

Room Tip: Pay the extra to have the sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Newlyweds. Very pleased to read that your special day lived up to expectations and that my team and the hotel played their part in making it a memorable one. May I wish you all the best again for your future together.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
The Kings Arms
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
#7 of 11 in Christchurch
Southampton Harbour Hotel & Spa

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!