“Lovely Spa, restaurant service terrible”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Hampshire, England
“Lovely Spa, restaurant service terrible”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Having stayed at the Harbour spa in Cornwall twice this year and had fantastic service I recommended this hotel to my group of friends and arranged a spa break. How embarassed I am now. The break started well, the spa staff and treatments were amazing and the reception staff on arrival were great. However our evening meal experience was terrible. Upon arrival for our 8pm dinner reservation we mentioned two of our party were on their way but were given two menus. 5 minutes later the waitress asked for our order at which point we asked for more menus as our friends had just arrived. This clearly was something we should not of done! When taken through to the restaurant the waitress(Justine) raised her eyebrows to other staff and proceeded all evening to ignore us, literally throw food onto the table, not replace the water(despite the fact we asked twice and ordered 2 bottles of wine), or even utter a thank you. The final straw was seeing her ignore a very disabled man who was struggling to put on his coat and also treat him terribly shouting the desert choice to him from two tables away and questioning his ability to pay. We helped him but the whole experience was shocking and un-nerving.The worse service I have ever had and I would not be inclined to go back. Disappointingly too when we complained on checkout we were just given the email of the general mgr. A very unenjoyable experience for a very expensive break.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank h0lidaybear
MRegenhardt, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 December 2012
Thank you for your review with regards to your recent visit. I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak to you personally following your posting and once again please accept my apologies for the less than professional service you and your party received whilst guest in our restaurant. I trust that our conversation alleviated and clarified your concerns with regards to the older gentleman mentioned. On a positive note I am pleased that your rated your Spa experience highly and would return to the Hotel in the future. Much appreciated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
Epping Forest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is a nice hotel to stay in, not cheap for where it is but nice all the same.

The hotel is out from Central Christchurch with a terrace facing the harbour.

The room was quite small for one that was meant to have been above the basic standard but still comfortable.

The food was good, the breakfast choice was good but less than one would expect for the price.

The evening meals were all in the main hotel building as we did not have time to try out the award winning restaurant on the same premises so we might have rated the food to be higher otherwise. The evening meals finished earlier than would be normal in a hotel. The food was good however.

The waiting staff were all very pleasant and helpful as were the front desk staff. There was the notable absence of assitance with getting the luggage to the room and for a hotel pitching itself at this level, this is not good enough.

The bar was ok but there was a nice enough lounge area and the terrace facing the harbour is a nice place to have a drink outside.

The gym facility was a tight squeeze, better than none at all but for a hotel promoting itself as a spa hotel, it was well short of the mark. The spa treatments were almost all booked out so one has to consider how much resources it put in to this key selling element of the hotel. The spa front desk staff could perhaps do with some enlightenment.

This is a hotel we could visit again but it is nowhere near I would expect a spa hotel to be. The service was a mismatch with the front desk and waiting staff being very good but after that the standard varied. For the money charged, this should be a better venue.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LoughtonEppingForest
MRegenhardt, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 November 2012
Greetings from Dorset to Essex. Thanks so much for your posting. I have noted the elements that you enjoyed during your stay, however I am dissapointed that we have not fully met your expectations. I have discussed your comments/review with the team and I do hope that when down next on the South Coast you will give us another try.
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

Stayed at the hotel after making a reservation at the Jetty, see separate review. room is comfortable and well appointed. My wife had a great spa experience and could not recommend it enough. Breakfast could be a little more organised, you sort of wonder in and sit down and wait for you order to be taken, this seems to happen sporadically and not that well controlled. After ordering my breakfast got up helped myself to some juice returned to my table and found another couple had decided this was a good place to sit. So had to evict them which was a little embarrassing, would have been avoided if tables had been allocated on arrival. At nearly £18 a breakfast you think this would be the normal. The breakfast when it did arrive was miniscule I ordered bacon eggs sausage and got one rasher one sausage and one egg. I mentioned the very small size and told if you wanted more than one rasher of bacon you should have asked...! This was the only real downside of the experience..

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Greetings from Christchurch to Chicester. Focusing on the positive I am delighted that your wife had a great Spa experience. However, I was less than pleased to learn about your breakfast experience - service and food wise. For the price paid the service and the food were not up to our usual high standard and I have reviewed both with my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

Visited the spar as part of a package when we stayed at a sister hotel - Kings Hotel in Christchurch.

Spar very well appointed to a high standard.

From our point of view the level of lighting spoiled the experience. There is no natural light and the level of artificial light was very low making it very gloomy. I found it difficult to read the instruction notices let alone read a book or paper, which was a shame as we would have lingered longer.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Good evening from Christchurch. Thank you so much for your overall positive review of our Harbour Spa and I noted your comments re the lighting levels. I appreciate the lighting levels are low to enhance the relaxation atmosphere however I will discuss with Alice my Spa Manager to ensure that they are high enough to enable our guests to read the provided literature or instructions.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

Booked a table for sunday lunch and we were so impressed with the standard of food and for the price. Been too many places for sunday lunch and its been poor but this place was lovely and the staff were so friendly towards us. Would come back!

Room Tip: sunday lunch is amazing
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Greetings Abby. Delighted to read your fantastic review of our Sunday Lunch and the only thing that I can say is -please tell your freinds. Hope to welcome you back soon.
Loughborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012 via mobile

I stayed here at the weekend and had a brilliant time! I bought the package through spa breaks so I was a bit sceptical but it was brilliant!

Inside the hotel is lovely, the room was amazing and a lot more than I was expecting, massive bed and very comfy! Bathroom was very nice and big too. Same with wardrobe space. Got a tv aswell with freeview channels so bonus for some!

We had dinner in the harbour restaurant and it was great, both had steak which was amazing! If booking through a package they may not tell you theres a £30 pp limit for food but was enough if having only 2 courses which was fine for us.

Spa facilities were really nice, big pool, hydrotherapy pool was lovely too and neck jet, it looks like the pictures- everything as seen! Good changing facilities too. We both had the aromatherapy full body massage which was amazing and relaxing.

Breakfast was again very nice, cooked breakfast and other food available, lovely! We realised in the morning the sea was right infront of us so if the weathers nice it would be perfect.

Altogether had a great experience and definitely recommend! We had no trouble parking either.

• Stayed November 2012
Hello Sophie2592. Always great to read that the team and hotel have delivered on all levels. Reviews like yours make it all worthwhile and I look forward to welcoming back to the Hotel in the near future.
Caddington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was probably our twelfth stay at this slightly quaint but excellently well upgraded hotel overlooking Mudeford Harbour and the River Avon. It takes very little for us to find an excuse to book a stay here and again the Harbour Hotel delivered the goods. Well appointed rooms, extremely kind and courteous staff and fantastic views all guarantee a great stay.The added bonus of the Jetty Restaurant and the wonderful walks along Hengistbury Head ensured we were totally relaxed, well fed and well exercised.

Room Tip: The rooms at the rear overlooking the harbour are great
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Good evening Alan P. 12 stays - with so much choice down here on the South Coast I really value your continuous support and long may it last. Please let me know when staying with us next as I would be delighted to meet with you personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Lord Bute Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
#2 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!