“Break away on the Sea and in New Forest”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Nice hotel especially if you can get a package. Genuinely right on the sea. Parking difficult but they run an excellent valet service. Just leave the car by reception.

Afternoon tea on the Terrace is a must. Staff (collection of English, European and East European) were all friendly and efficient. Probably the best I have come across for years. Wonderful. Could not fault them. All good. Flawless. Exceptional these days. I hope they are there next year but suspect they will have moved on.

Didn’t try the restaurant on the sea which is famous but expensive and a little fussy (just had desert and Champagne [expensive] there). The normal restaurant was a disappointment. Food adequate but not up to hotel grade or fair restaurant quality. Service made you forgive the food. Breakfast and teas excellent though.

The hotel goes to sleep early… I needed an additional pillow for my partner around midnight and I had the wake up a porter to get it.

The swans flock to the hotel waters in their hundreds at dusk or high tide (not sure which) and this was a breathtaking sight. Earlier at one point filming for a new TV series was undertaken but did not interfere with residents.

A wonderful break. If you want to swim in the sea you have to drive about 5 minutes to the open sea and beach. No outdoor swimming pool as shown in Google Earth. This was knocked down to make way for the new restaurant and a block of flats. Pity. Gym ok nothing special and is dark. Indoor swimming pool smallish. But gym was nice. Lots of treatments available.

Yes I would go there again for a night or two.

Room Tip: The rooms with a sea view tend to be older and smaller than some of the non-sea views. We liked a no...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
MRegenhardt, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2012

Guest feedback is always important to us and I very much appreciate you review following your stay with us. I was encouraged to read that my team here at the hotel delivered and exceeded expectations . Words such as " friendly and efficient. Probably the best I have come across for years. Wonderful. Could not fault them. All good. Flawless" are a great recognition and reward. I am delighted to inform you that we are currently reviewing all our menus and will enter the New Year with a refreshed offering influenced by britsh Classics and the sea.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,921)

Reviewed 19 November 2012

We enjoyed a single night's b&b plus evening meal break at the Harbour Hotel. We were lucky with beautiful, crisp winter sunshine which was an off-peak bonus.
The styling was less contemporary than I had thought from the website. When we arrived in fact we thought the average age was around 90 but it was just a large lunch function tipping out, not overnight guests. I think it's probably a very popular local venue with the silver haired, south coast population - who can blame them?
Once I had adjusted to the soft furnishings and chandeliers, I managed to embrace the 'Palm Court' style elegance of the main dining room which has a lovely view over the water.and suited the afternoon tea nicely.
I hadn't clocked the fact that the more minimalist 'The Jetty' is a slightly separate enterprise and underestimated how popular it is so we didn't get a look in which was a shame.
I can imagine that it's a more contemporary experience if you are drinking Pimms on the deck too.
Still, everything was spotless, the bedding & towels were a crisp white and we liked the spa's chic, dark styling. Lovely steam room. Top marks for keeping the facilities 'hair free' too.
The afternoon tea and evening meal were extremely well presented, interesting, tasty and great value on our promotion. Breakfast was OK but not to an equal standard.
I was a bit of a grumpy vegetarian when offered a choice of cheese or egg sandwich at afternoon tea - the omnivores' choices were more interesting (and employed more expensive ingredients). The fresh, warm scones helped cheer me up.
The staff in the dining room were very hard working and professional.
The traffic on a Friday afternoon was hideous but we would go again if the offer was right.

Room Tip: Don't know - we stayed in the 'cheap seats' which were fine
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your visit to our Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and found our Food and Beverage offerings to your liking in particular your dinner. I have spoken to my Headchef with respect to your comments re the choice for vegetarians when enjoying one of our afternoon teas and further additions will be offered in due course. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Having stayed at the Harbour spa in Cornwall twice this year and had fantastic service I recommended this hotel to my group of friends and arranged a spa break. How embarassed I am now. The break started well, the spa staff and treatments were amazing and the reception staff on arrival were great. However our evening meal experience was terrible. Upon arrival for our 8pm dinner reservation we mentioned two of our party were on their way but were given two menus. 5 minutes later the waitress asked for our order at which point we asked for more menus as our friends had just arrived. This clearly was something we should not of done! When taken through to the restaurant the waitress(Justine) raised her eyebrows to other staff and proceeded all evening to ignore us, literally throw food onto the table, not replace the water(despite the fact we asked twice and ordered 2 bottles of wine), or even utter a thank you. The final straw was seeing her ignore a very disabled man who was struggling to put on his coat and also treat him terribly shouting the desert choice to him from two tables away and questioning his ability to pay. We helped him but the whole experience was shocking and un-nerving.The worse service I have ever had and I would not be inclined to go back. Disappointingly too when we complained on checkout we were just given the email of the general mgr. A very unenjoyable experience for a very expensive break.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank h0lidaybear

Thank you for your review with regards to your recent visit. I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak to you personally following your posting and once again please accept my apologies for the less than professional service you and your party received whilst guest in our restaurant. I trust that our conversation alleviated and clarified your concerns with regards to the older gentleman mentioned. On a positive note I am pleased that your rated your Spa experience highly and would return to the Hotel in the future. Much appreciated.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is a nice hotel to stay in, not cheap for where it is but nice all the same.

The hotel is out from Central Christchurch with a terrace facing the harbour.

The room was quite small for one that was meant to have been above the basic standard but still comfortable.

The food was good, the breakfast choice was good but less than one would expect for the price.

The evening meals were all in the main hotel building as we did not have time to try out the award winning restaurant on the same premises so we might have rated the food to be higher otherwise. The evening meals finished earlier than would be normal in a hotel. The food was good however.

The waiting staff were all very pleasant and helpful as were the front desk staff. There was the notable absence of assitance with getting the luggage to the room and for a hotel pitching itself at this level, this is not good enough.

The bar was ok but there was a nice enough lounge area and the terrace facing the harbour is a nice place to have a drink outside.

The gym facility was a tight squeeze, better than none at all but for a hotel promoting itself as a spa hotel, it was well short of the mark. The spa treatments were almost all booked out so one has to consider how much resources it put in to this key selling element of the hotel. The spa front desk staff could perhaps do with some enlightenment.

This is a hotel we could visit again but it is nowhere near I would expect a spa hotel to be. The service was a mismatch with the front desk and waiting staff being very good but after that the standard varied. For the money charged, this should be a better venue.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LoughtonEppingForest
MRegenhardt, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2012

Greetings from Dorset to Essex. Thanks so much for your posting. I have noted the elements that you enjoyed during your stay, however I am dissapointed that we have not fully met your expectations. I have discussed your comments/review with the team and I do hope that when down next on the South Coast you will give us another try.

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Stayed at the hotel after making a reservation at the Jetty, see separate review. room is comfortable and well appointed. My wife had a great spa experience and could not recommend it enough. Breakfast could be a little more organised, you sort of wonder in and sit down and wait for you order to be taken, this seems to happen sporadically and not that well controlled. After ordering my breakfast got up helped myself to some juice returned to my table and found another couple had decided this was a good place to sit. So had to evict them which was a little embarrassing, would have been avoided if tables had been allocated on arrival. At nearly £18 a breakfast you think this would be the normal. The breakfast when it did arrive was miniscule I ordered bacon eggs sausage and got one rasher one sausage and one egg. I mentioned the very small size and told if you wanted more than one rasher of bacon you should have asked...! This was the only real downside of the experience..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Christchurch to Chicester. Focusing on the positive I am delighted that your wife had a great Spa experience. However, I was less than pleased to learn about your breakfast experience - service and food wise. For the price paid the service and the food were not up to our usual high standard and I have reviewed both with my Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Visited the spar as part of a package when we stayed at a sister hotel - Kings Hotel in Christchurch.

Spar very well appointed to a high standard.

From our point of view the level of lighting spoiled the experience. There is no natural light and the level of artificial light was very low making it very gloomy. I found it difficult to read the instruction notices let alone read a book or paper, which was a shame as we would have lingered longer.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

Good evening from Christchurch. Thank you so much for your overall positive review of our Harbour Spa and I noted your comments re the lighting levels. I appreciate the lighting levels are low to enhance the relaxation atmosphere however I will discuss with Alice my Spa Manager to ensure that they are high enough to enable our guests to read the provided literature or instructions.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Booked a table for sunday lunch and we were so impressed with the standard of food and for the price. Been too many places for sunday lunch and its been poor but this place was lovely and the staff were so friendly towards us. Would come back!

Room Tip: sunday lunch is amazing
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Greetings Abby. Delighted to read your fantastic review of our Sunday Lunch and the only thing that I can say is -please tell your freinds. Hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
The Kings Arms
#8 of 11 in Christchurch
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
#7 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!