“Christmas break 2013”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 1 February 2014

We booked a three day Christmas package break at this hotel
The hotel is lovely, the room and view excellent and without exception all the staff are friendly and accommodating but my visit was spoilt for the following reasons.
Christmas lunch I feel should have been the highlight of my stay, but the meal was certainly not up to the standard expected from a hotel of this standing and reputation. Lunch was served from 12 noon until late afternoon. Hotel guests and outside patrons were allocated a lunch time - ours was 2.15pm. I feel that the hotel was trying to provide too many covers on the day and by staggering the meals, they were not really fresh. I could hardly get a knife through the overcooked roast potatoes and was unable to put a fork through the sprouts. The turkey, whilst just edible I suspect had been carved far too early and reheated with gravy. Had I been a non-resident coming in for the meal I would have been very unhappy at the price charged. To top it all intially we were allocated a table about two feet from a waiter serving station. We requested a move.
My second complaint concerns the Boxing night meal. Having been told on the information sheet handed to us on our arrival that there would be a choice between a la carte or the four course tasting menu I was not happy to find that a la carte was not available that evening especially as the four course menu was not to my liking. Talking to other diners it was obvious that I was not the only one who felt this way. Also coffee was charged for at every meal a charge I was unaware of until I settled my bill on the day of departure.
On my return home I wrote to the Hotel manager, but as yet have not had a reply

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Thank you for writing a review about your Christmas stay with us.

I was so pleased that you enjoyed your room and view and that the staff were friendly and accommodating.

I was sorry to hear of the dissapointment with the dining whilst staying. I know you have been in contact with our Food and Beverage Director, and he looks forward to spekaing with you.

There are newer reviews for Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on Sunday night package with the wife.
It was lovely. The pool and spa were great, the rooms are homely and comfortable and we had a great view overlooking the sea. They could do with a little touch up here and there but it's not enough to spoil the rooms.
We had afternoon tea which was delicious. My wife is fussy and wanted different sandwiches to what was on offer and this was dealt with professionally. We were
Given a list of what the kitchen could do and she chose accordingly.
Dinner in the evening was beautiful. We had scallops and a soufflé to start followed by a chateaubriand with hand cut chips, Bearnaise sauce and green veg as a main. It was amazing. Cooked to perfection. It's expensive don't get me wrong but we went away feeling content and happy which is all you can ask.
Breakfast the next morning was
the weak spot in my opinion. It was all cooked very well and tasted delicious but the hot breakfast lacked key ingredients. No black pudding or fried bread, no potato option (this is probably just me being fussy as I like fried potatoes on a breakfast) and it wasn't enough to fill us up.
Overall though the hotel is gorgeous, the food is great, service is immaculate an friendly and the location is beautiful.
Hopefully we will be back again soon.

• Stayed: January 2014

Thank you for your 5 star review about your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read your comments and I know the team will too.
It was pleasing to read your overall feed back, from the room and Spa to dining in the Upper Deck Restaurant and Bar.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 30 January 2014

I booked a spa afternoon and tea for my daughter, my mother and myself for a special 90th birthday treat for my Mum, who is in a wheelchair.
We found the staff very unfriendly, not very helpful and quite rude. We each had a facial one after the other as they could not fit us in at the same time. We all three had the same therapist who did not clear up after each treatment, the towels were dirty and cold on the face.She was very inexperienced and her skills were poor for a top notch spa.
The afternoon tea wasn't much better as for £15.50 per head, we had three finger sandwiches each with bread that was stale. We asked for butter instead of cream for the scones, which was rock hard and told well its out of the fridge! Without going into too much detail, the whole experience was very disappointing,

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Christine W

Thank you for writing a review about your Spa afternoon.

I was very sorry to read about your dissapointment with the afternoon tea and Spa treatments.

We always recieve very good comments about our staff, so I was very concerend to hear your comments. I will be speaking with the relevant department Managers to ensure that our normal levels of staff friendliness are resumed and any re-training that is required to ensure that our therapists are offering the expected service.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We chose this hotel for our wedding night as it was close enough to our venue in Wimborne.

We painstakingly chose a hotel for this night as you can imagine. We wanted a romantic room, for me it is all about the bathroom! After looking round quite a few hotels this hotel came up top in our research and our research had been extensive accross Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch.

This hotel lived up to our expectations and more!

The room was immaculate and the four poster bed absolutely sumptuous and massive. The large bath was in the room by the window with sweeping views accross the bay. The double shower was great.

We ordered breakfast in bed which was prompt and absolutely delicious, a lot of choice.

We had specified that exact room after seeing pictures and they guaranteed us that room. They also gave us a much later check out the next day as we had an evening flight at no extra charge.

The only slight niggle I had was that they knew it was our honeymoon and no extras were done to the room i.e room decoration or complimentary drinks in our room which we were fortunate to receive at all the hotels we stayed in on our honeymoon. Those little extras would really have rounded the night off.

Definitely chose this hotel and chose this room - number 523.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time write a review about your recent stay with us.

I was so pleased that we could help make your wedding night so enjoyable.

We all wish you a very happy life together, and hope to see you again very soon

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Web reservation directly with the hotel. Booked this hotel as we had just attended a funeral in Weymouth and it was my birthday the following day 24th January. Nice views good restaurant and a decent Spa I thought!. Not so..the Spa was closed with an added attraction of builders invading the reception area. There was no pool, steam room or Jacuzzi. I booked a couple of treatments lasting perhaps 2 hours the treatment room was cold and lifeless. The Garden view room certainly did not command sweeping views of the garden and once again builders or craftsmen working on the Upper Deck. The bed room was decorated tastefully, the bed comfortable and immaculately clean. When we left the receptionist apologised and referred us to the GM who was not interested at all no mention of sorry to have spoiled your birthday have a glass of anything just apportioned the blame to everyone else.

Room Tip: Better views to be had taking an upper floor.
1  Thank vivienne p
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I do sincerely apologise that our Spa was out of action, due to a flooding we had to undertake
emergency repairs to our pool area for health and safety reasons.

These are all now done and we have re-opened the spa.

I do aplogise again that this impacted on your stay with us, I do hope that we can
welcome you back on another occasion and you can enjoy all of the facilites.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

On Saturday 25 January I tried to book in this hotel for the following day as I had an email from them with a two night deal , I rang the number selected room bookings after five minuets there was no reply
I then rang back no reply after third time I rang reception , a woman on reception said I will put you thro , but still no reply I rang reception again and then I could not get thro to the reception.
So I booked another hotel that answers there phone
Such a shame as this hotel looked wonderful

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cj1963

I was very sorry to read that you were unable to book a room with us.

We do become very busy for room bookings, ecpecially at the weekend. If our reservationist
are on the phone taking a booking, calls are put in a queue and answered in the order that they
were placed. Our Reception team can pick up the call if they are not already with a guest.

I do apologise that you could not get through and do hope that next time you are looking to stay in this area you will try us again.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed here on the Sunday Night Getaway special deal which was very good value including an allowance of £30 per person towards dinner in the Upper Deck restaurant. We booked through the call centre and, as I know room sizes differ, I asked for a larger room to be allocated to us. The deal was for an inland facing room. We were shown to our room which was very tiny but as soon as the door of the room was opened, it had an awful musty smell. We asked to be moved and were shown 3 other rooms to choose from, all of which were inland facing rooms. I do feel that it would have been more appropriate to upgrade us, particularly as the room had an issue with it. However, as it was only for one night, we chose the nicest of the three rooms which was adequate, although rather dark. The porter who showed us the rooms was extremely helpful and friendly, and nothing was too much trouble! The evening meal was very good and the service excellent, as was the breakfast which was tasty. The hotel has lovely views over Mudeford Quay and we will definitely be staying again in the summer, but will upgrade to a sea view room next time.

Room Tip: Don't accept the first room offered - ask to see several as they all differ in size and layout.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent overnight stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, with excellent service and very good food.

I was sorry to hear that you did not like your allocated room, but pleased that you were offered a choice and shown round by our porter.

We very much look forward to welcoming back in the summer

Kindest regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#8 of 11 in Christchurch
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
Ocean Beach Hotel and Spa
#15 of 67 in Bournemouth

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!