“return visit - justified!”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“return visit - justified!”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had stayed here previously, after the acquisition by its new owners. We enjoyed that visit and, wanting to return to Christchurch, saw no reason to go elsewhere. We were quite right! In the last year, more refurbishment has been put in place and the staff are even more attentive. This group of hotels has a successful formula, ideally suited to short breaks by wonderful English seaside locations.

The hotel is close to the spectacular views from Mudeford Quay and only a ten minute drive from Christchurch's pretty village and riverside location.

Food in the restaurant, (on full Dinner, Bed and Breakfast terms - £££ but good value), is excellent with plenty of choice. All very well presented and served by charming well-trained staff. £30ph dinner allocation doesn't go far, however, although the wine list is varied and mid-priced.

Parking can be a nightmare but helpful staff will take car keys and take the first available space for guests - so, no worries.

Great place for a few nights "R&R".

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor facing the harbour have full depth French windows; those of the third flo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Epsom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Booked very last minute but Shelia in reservations was extremely helpful. Reception staff all very helpful and Matthew who seemed to be front of house, porter and car parking chap was excellent, nothing was too much trouble - they should clone him. There was a wedding taking place while we were there, so no car parking spaces but just abandoned my car several times and gave the keys to Matthew who always found somewhere to park it. The spa was fabulous and children are not allowed in before 8.30 so worth getting up slightly earlier and availing oneself of the pool, steam room etc. It was very windy when we stayed with the wind whipping off the waterfront so the rooms overlooking the water were pounded by the wind - but you have to have a sea view and no-one can control the weather. Went for a drink at the bar and the prices are outrageous - if hotels lowered their alcohol prices more people would consider going for a drink. Nearly £18 for 4 drinks and one of these was a coffee. My other gripe is that on the Saturday night in the bar (11pmish) and Sunday morning at breakfast in the bar area, several of the managers were having a meeting. They stand about in their suits with long faces. Not sure who they are trying to impress but as a hotel guest I find it particularly pompous - either have the meetings elsewhere behind closed doors or get on and help staff who are trying to do their jobs. The managers are the face of the hotel SMILE! The rest of the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fiona R
Winchester. UK
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed over two nights on the last weekend of February half term - we left our small ones at home. We chose this hotel for location and especially wanted a home from home room for the weekend. Room 525 didn't disappoint in any way. We were surprised with a lovely note from the management and lovely box of choccies for our anniversary which we enjoyed with our nespressos (such a good touch in the room)
Spacious room, lovely decor, comfy bed (we changed the pillows from feather to another variety) We ate in the Upper Deck restaurant and found the staff to be very polite, courteous. Lovely Chateaubriand for our Anniversary dinner sitting in the window looking at the wild and windy weather.
Breakfasts were equally good and lovely atmosphere in the Upper Deck restaurant again looking out on the Spit at Mudeford.
Thank you for a lovely stay. We will be back and look forward to seeing the new reception renovations:)

Room Tip: Seaviews are well worth it:)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
bournemouth
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My husband treated me to a spa day and treatment and I must say the time just flew by. I thoroughly enjoyed my spa experience and the 40 minutes back massage was one of the best I've had. It was an amazing feeling when a foil sheet was put on my back and it heated up for a while. Meanwhile, my legs was massaged and I felt so relaxed. I also managed to use the gym and worked out on the cross trainer.

The negative feedback was that complementary fruit was stated on my spa day package/letter but when I asked at reception, they said it had all gone. I was disappointed to hear that as I was there at 12.00 felt peckish by 2.30pm but luckily I knew that I had afternoon tea at 4pm. Also, there were no lockers for me to use and the only ones left were very high up that you need to stand on the bench to reach it. Luckily, a lady gave me her locker because she had nearly finished and didn't want me to stand on the bench for health and safety reasons. If it was n't for the kind lady, I would have reported this at reception.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
surrey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

my wife and i stayed for 2 nights friday and saturday on the winter deal of £30 off each all carte menu on the first night. the room was nice and comfortable , but didnt much like the pillows but thats a minor detail. the staff throughout the hotel were wonderful and helpful, the food was superb in both restarants and we will be back

Room Tip: we had a room overlooking the back entance of the Jetty and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely spacious & clean room, very windy so didn't make use of our patio. All staff helpful, friendly & efficient. Dinner at the Upper Deck exceeded our expectations, lovely food! Breakfasts were good too. Spa was welcome on a rainy afternoon but was rather noisy on one occasion when a wedding party came en mass! Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a five star review about your recent stay with us.

It was so nice to read that you enjoyed your dinner, spacious and clean room and that you found all of our staff friendly and efficient.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again very soon

Kindest regards
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I bought a late spa break for my boyfriends birthday in January. We arrived and were very impressed by our welcome and our room. We dined in the jetty restaurant that evening which is now my favourite restaurant in town!! Amazing service and food. The next day we had a lovely breakfast at the hotel over looking the jetty and harbour again great service. Then we went to use the spa however the spa had only re opened that day and was freezing. My boyfriend went and spoke to reception to advise of the spa being cold. Then when we were leaving reception had acknowledge our disappointment and offered us a free visit more then what we weds expecting and we re booked for my birthday valentines weekend. We stayed last weekend and again our room, service, breakfast and general stay was fabulous!! we have travelled the world stayed in many hotels and for me I love the hotel and feel and will defo be visiting again!! Thankyou

Stayed February 2014
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 February 2014

It was great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and all the staff were amazing and offered you great service.

We very much look forward to welcomin you back very soon

Kindest regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Captain's Club Hotel
#9 of 11 in Christchurch
Lord Bute Hotel
Lord Bute Hotel
#2 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!