“Disappointing stay, won't be back.”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My partner and I recently attended a wedding at this hotel and I have to be honest, I'd rather stay at the Premier Inn just up the road than stay at this hotel.

For a start the rooms are tiny. We were travelling with a single suitcase and its a good thing we were because there was no room for any more than a single suitcase. We ended up having to put this on the chair just so we could move around the room.

Staff are un-friendly and almost rude. It felt as though I was an inconvenience to them because I was paying cash and not putting everything on my room. Everything is massively over-priced as well. As an example, we paid over £24 for 2 sandwiches, a pot of tea and a soft drink.

To make matters worse, we opted to treat ourselves to breakfast in bed. What a mistake! The menu stated mushrooms, poached eggs, bacon, etc and we literally received a single egg, a single rasher of bacon, a single mushroom, etc.

All in all our experience at this hotel was definitely below average and we certainly won't be returning.

3  Thank Richard T
Write a ReviewReviews (1,940)

Reviewed 1 April 2014

Have become tired of trying to find any other hotel in the Bournemouth, Poole and Christchurch conurbation that comes anywhere near this hotel for location, service, food and the ability to transform even just one overnight stay into a sense of occasion. In fact I no longer bother looking elsewhere & am prepared to travel extra miles just to stay here. However much complimented 'other' hotels all have a semblance of ordinariness, are a bit corporate with brand logos on everything and everywhere, or lean toward the business traveller happy to serve themselves from bins of hot food come breakfast time.
It's the intangibles, the hidden and the subliminal that so cleverly make the Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa just that extra bit special and I don't know how its done, dashed if I can see the join!
Functions which can become boisterous are kept separate which is appreciated and the fact that a previous reviewer whinged that the hotel is not child friendly, is I'll wager, a bonus for 99% of guests.
Apparently the refurbishment of their Sidmouth hotel is some 2 months behind schedule so a planned visit will be delayed until the end of the season to allow the bugs to be ironed out, so it will be back to Christchurch sooner than expected - somehow we'll cope!

Room Tip: Bronze rooms are fine for a one night stay and all seem quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Just got back from the Christchurch harbour hotel, spent two nights there for a surprise 50th birthday.
A big thank you for a warm welcome we received from young Matthew who really enjoys his job and can't do enough for you, he,s a credit to this hotel. This hotel is in a great location,with friendly and hard working staff, nothing is to much trouble to make your stay enjoyable.
Food is excellent, rooms are very nice and we would definitely return

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We spent a night at the hotel to celebrate a birthday on 29th March 2014.
On arrival, the welcome at the reception was very friendly and professional. Unfortunately when we arrived at our room it was not ready! We left our bags at reception and decided to have a spot of lunch at the restaurant.

The service at the bar was well below par. I was ignored by 4 different members of staff (not even eye contact) and waited almost 10 minutes to be served despite the fact nobody else was waiting.

The lunchtime service was ok, if a little slow, and the food great! We ordered from the set lunch menu which was good value for money! We can highly recommend the eton mess.

After lunch we went to our room to change and try out the spa facilities. Reception had kindly arranged for our bags to be taken to our room. Unfortunately there were no bathrobes as expected, but these were promptly delivered by housekeeping after a quick call to reception.

The spa was lovely. Complimentary herbal teas, and an orange drink are a nice touch. We had a back, neck and shoulder massage which was amazing, and the therapist were very friendly and professional.

That evening we had our meal in the upper deck restaurant. The service was better than in the day, but we still expected the staff to be a bit more attentive considering the prices charged (including a 10% service charge) and the type of establishment. The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and the food once again was fantastic.

We then settled down for a good nights sleep in a very comfortable bed! However we were disturbed by a other guest at 4am who was locked out of the hotel. She tapped on our window and asked us to call reception as the night porter was not answering the door bell! This poor woman claimed she had been locked out for 2 hours. It was at least another 30 minutes after we were alerted to her presence before she finally got inside as the night porter also failed to answer our calls to the reception.

Breakfast was very good, with the service average and the view over the water was stunning.

So overall a mixed bag. The biggest disappointment was the service in the restaurant/bar and the wake up call at 4am. You expect both these things from a travel lodge or premiere inn, but not a luxury hotel like this.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I have just returned from a short stay at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel. This is my second visit and both times I have been impressed with the professional attitude of the staff. The receptionist was more than willing to upgrade our rooms at no extra charge which was lovely. The room was clean and comfortable and well furnished and it was nice to have a swim in the spa pool. Dinner in the restaurant was very nice with a bit of live jazz. The only negative point I would make about the restaurant was that there was not one vegetarian starter or main dish on the a la carte menu, although they were very accommodating when I asked for a vegetarian option.
The staff were clearly under pressure on a sunny Saturday afternoon with a wedding happening as well as a busy restaurant and bar, but they still maintained a cool and calm attitude! Lunch on the terrace looking out towards the water was lovely and relaxing.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank morganmiller
Neil_L_CHH, Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review about your recent stay with us.

It was great to hear that you were returning for a second visit and were again impressed with the staff and Hotel facilities.

It was nice to hear that you were able to enjoy the terrace and the sunshine as it as been very limited so far this year.

We hope to see you for your third visit very soon

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We had our wedding at Christchurch Harbour Hotel on 28 March 2014 and we wanted to share our thoughts on the hotel/service that we had to make our wedding a truly spectacular and unforgettable day.

So from initially booking the venue for our wedding we have had no need to worry or chase up any of the details.

On our arrival the day prior to the wedding, everything was taken care of, which meant we could both relax and enjoy our time there. I (the bride) stayed at the hotel in room 523 which is incredible. I would recommend if you have the spare funds to upgrade to this room as it is beautiful and has the most stunning views across Mudeford Quay. The hotel itself was spotless and the staff can not do enough to help us with the preparations for our big day. Chris the wedding Coordinator for the day of our wedding was fabulous and from arrival knew who we were and made time to go through all the details.

On the day itself, I (the bride) had a every special morning knowing all the planning was in hand, leaving me to enjoy the time with my bridesmaid and friends. When my husband arrived, an hour before the ceremony everything was again in hand, leaving him to have a drink and meet the guests arriving.

After the ceremony, the Waterford suite was turned around for the wedding breakfast and throughout this, all the finer details were taken care of. The evening then flowed down to the room by the spa and again all the details were taken care of, meaning we could finish off our day celebrating with our family and friends!

This hotel is truly amazing and in the most magical setting, it is spotless and I cannot rate the staff enough as they are absolutely amazing and you can tell that they are very experienced at what they do.

For and couples thinking of this as a possible venue for your wedding, the service we received far exceeded our expectations and we would with out a doubt recommend this venue to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write such an amazing review about your recent wedding celebration held at our Hotel.

It is so nice to hear that your day exceeded your expectations and that our staff help to make sure you and your guests could just enjoy the day without any worries.

We all wish you every happiness for the future and look forward to seeing you again very soon

Kindest Regards

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Took my mother for afternoon tea, a treat for mothers day. When we arrived, they could find no record of my booking therefore had no table for us. Ended up squashed in a corner with no room to move. The actual cream tea was terrible, three tiny little finger sandwiches, two dried up scones, and three tiny, pieces of cake, so small that if you joined them together, they did not even make up one piece. The waiters were very rude, when they tried to charge me double the price of our bill, the waiter got very angry and practically threw the screwed up bill at me and then turned his back on me. Needles to say that my mother and myself were very upset. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Edna S

Thank you for your feedback about your recent afternoon tea.

I was pleased that you were able to speak with our Food and Beverage Director to discuss your comments in more detail.

Kindest regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
The Kings Arms
#7 of 11 in Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
Travelodge Christchurch
#8 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!