We had stayed in the sister hotel in Salcombe in December 2013 and loved the attention to detail. We then received a promotional letter giving us the opportunity to stay in Christchurch. The mixed reviews on Tripadvisor are justified as it would appear that if you stay on a date without a wedding on you will be fine. On our visit we had two weddings on the Friday and Saturday and the rushed service was not of a standard that I would expect of this type of hotel.
We very much felt that we were filling up empty rooms not occupied by wedding guests rather than being a paying guest of the hotel.
My wife ordered a wine flight with the evening meal but we struggled to gain the attention of rushed staff to get the right drinks at the right times. One was missed completely and drinks with desserts came separately.
An excellent duo were playing with dinner in the evening but had to play at a really amplified volume to mask the noise of the wedding disco.
Breakfast service was slow and our waiter informed us that it was because they were clearing orders from the wedding party.
I also agree that to pay a supplement for anything other than a full cooked breakfast seems a bit antiquated in this day and age.
Check in and out were rushed and I wanted to raise a number of issues with the receptionist on check out but with only one of member of staff and a queue before and after us it seemed churlish and when asked whether everything had been okay with the stay, all we really had time to say was 'that it was chaotic'. The staff clearly work really hard but the constant rushing around does not provide a relaxed ambience.
I subsequently sent an two emails to the hotel raising these minor issues that if addressed could improve the stay for guests but I have been disappointed that I did not even receive an acknowledgement.
I think this hotel needs to decide whether it wants to be an exclusive wedding party venue or hotel as it just doesn't have the space to be both.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a fantastic stay at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa in Dorset. Wake up to incredible views over to the harbour, enjoy a bracing walk across to Hengistbury Head, or hide away at the luxurious Harbour Spa! Make the most of this unique location whatever the season - a change of scenery, warm and attentive hospitality, delicious food, which reflects the very best local produce, and a chance to breathe in the fresh sea air. The Upper Deck Restaurant serves delicious, locally-sourced dishes and is open for lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and drinks. Or you can also choose to dine in the award-winning Jetty Restaurant situated within the hotel's grounds. Stay in one of the luxury 64 bedrooms, some with four-poster beds and private garden terraces overlooking Mudeford Quay. All of the bedrooms feature flat screen televisions, tea and coffee making facilities and White Company toiletries. The Harbour Spa is a haven of relaxation. Enjoy a relaxing spa treatment - from manicures and pedicures to facials and specialised massages. Relax in the indoor swimming pool, hydrotherapy pool, sauna, salt grotto and crystal steam room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Christchurch Harbour Hotel And Spa
- The Christchurch Harbour Hotel Christchurch
- Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa Dorset