“Ironing out of minor niggles would make this a great hotel”

Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had stayed in the sister hotel in Salcombe in December 2013 and loved the attention to detail. We then received a promotional letter giving us the opportunity to stay in Christchurch. The mixed reviews on Tripadvisor are justified as it would appear that if you stay on a date without a wedding on you will be fine. On our visit we had two weddings on the Friday and Saturday and the rushed service was not of a standard that I would expect of this type of hotel.

We very much felt that we were filling up empty rooms not occupied by wedding guests rather than being a paying guest of the hotel.

My wife ordered a wine flight with the evening meal but we struggled to gain the attention of rushed staff to get the right drinks at the right times. One was missed completely and drinks with desserts came separately.

An excellent duo were playing with dinner in the evening but had to play at a really amplified volume to mask the noise of the wedding disco.

Breakfast service was slow and our waiter informed us that it was because they were clearing orders from the wedding party.

I also agree that to pay a supplement for anything other than a full cooked breakfast seems a bit antiquated in this day and age.

Check in and out were rushed and I wanted to raise a number of issues with the receptionist on check out but with only one of member of staff and a queue before and after us it seemed churlish and when asked whether everything had been okay with the stay, all we really had time to say was 'that it was chaotic'. The staff clearly work really hard but the constant rushing around does not provide a relaxed ambience.

I subsequently sent an two emails to the hotel raising these minor issues that if addressed could improve the stay for guests but I have been disappointed that I did not even receive an acknowledgement.

I think this hotel needs to decide whether it wants to be an exclusive wedding party venue or hotel as it just doesn't have the space to be both.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
KMcV67, General Manager at Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear James H,

Thank you for your detailed review. It is paramount that we use reviews and feedback such as yours to enhance the product and service that we deliver to the customer. I make it a priority to respond to all correspondence and can genuinely say that I have not seen your original letter. I have only been in the role for five weeks, so it may be that this was before my time. Nevertheless i would be very interested in speaking to you further and if this is suitable please do feel free to contact me directly at kearan.mcvey@harbourhotels.co.uk

Kind regards,

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Have just returned from a two night spa break, which was excellent value. The room was clean and there was plenty of space for my daughter and I. Check in was smooth. Lunch on the upper deck with views over the harbour set the standard for the rest of our stay, wonderful. We also ate on the upper deck in the evening and the food was delightful. Great service from all the hotel staff during the course of our stay. As this was a spa package we received two treatments each over the two days and full use of the spa facilities. There seemed to be an abundance of very skilled staff ( most of who seemed to be called Holly ! ) We both had incredibly relaxing facials on the first day and life saving back treatments on the second, both of which were faultless. The spa was not overly busy during the day, but it might be nice to include some tips and recommendations on the facilities for those who have not used a spa before. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel and spa to anyone and hope to take advantage of spa break deals again in the future.

Room Tip: We had an inland view room, which overlooked the car park at the front of the hotel, rather than the...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JAC101_11
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had a fab stay last year as a treat for me and my other half. We stayed in a Bronze room and made full use of the gorgeous spa facilities and had a lovely dinner. The room was clean, bed's very comfy and we loved the hotel. Will definitely be back as Mudeford and Christchurch is very close to our hearts :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Revisited this hotel having stayed for my husband's 60th birthday and now arrived on his 65th! Daughter had arranged for wine and chocs and on booking we were told we had a complimentary upgrade from an inland bronze room to a harbour view room. Nice young man called Matthew took us to our room and was very helpful. Very pleasant surprise and set the tone for the rest of our stay. Room excellent, cleaned daily and the service by all the staff excellent. (Special praise to the young barman, who was very attentive even remembering our drink choices and room numbers - apparently aspiring to be a cocktail waiter at one time). We ate in the Jetty restaurant on my husband's birthday evening and they managed to cook my steak correctly (first time in 3 years I have chanced having a steak again in a restaurant. Excellent attentive service and birthday acknowledged at the end of the meal with sweets and a message in chocolate. Also ate in the Upper Deck restaurant, lovely atmosphere and a view of the harbour.
Also the leisure facilities are brilliant with a relaxing atmosphere
All in all a really enjoyable stay in a lovely hotel, staffed by very pleasant people in an excellent location for Christchurch, Mudeford and the surrounding area

Room Tip: Try to obtain a harbour view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JJPWindsor
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely stay at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel. Great hotel but a few niggles..
Check in was very smooth - really friendly & helpful reception staff.
Had a lovely room with a fantasic view..such a shame the rooms don't have balconies!
Good service at the Upper Deck bar - a small wedding party came in and we did get a bit forgotten about though!
We wanted to go down to the beach but we were a bit worried about losing our car parking space as the car park was so busy but the guy out front very kindly reserved our parking space for us which we thought was a great touch!
Had a great dinner in the Upper Deck restaurant.. There was some confusion about what sides came with the meals so ended up ordering too much food! Was amazing though! A bit disappointed with breakfast.. The continental buffet choice was poor - just few pastries and cereals and if you wanted eggs with smoked salmon, which is quite a common breakfast you had to pay supplement which I didn't think was on.
All in all a great hotel which we would recommend!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My wife and I love the New Forest and surrounding area, and we were looking for a walk-in for the night. We came across the The Harbour Hotel because we were in Mudiford, what a result, we enquired about any vacancies and offered a ground floor room with a small patio which overlooked the harbour and gardens for £99 with breakfast. Brilliant reception staff, the room was great and the Spa fantastic. Every single member of staff we came into contact with we're brilliant, especially the restaurant manager, who couldn't have been better, what treat this place is. The breakfast was really good and the views over the Harbour from the hotel are as outstanding as the staff. We will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Go for a room with views of the harbour, the other rooms overlook a car park.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2014

14 of us had a meal in the room adjacent to the restaurant to celebrate a Silver wedding anniversary. The food was excellent as was the service. I was really impressed with all the staff but especially the lady who looked after us, sorry I wish I had asked her name.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
The Kings Arms
#7 of 11 in Christchurch
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
Fisherman's Haunt Hotel
#8 of 11 in Christchurch

Been to Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!