“Bronze room but Gold standard”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have just spent a very enjoyable two night stay at The Kings Christchurch.
It was on a dinner bed and breakfast basis, the room was lovely with a great showeroom.
The food was exceptionally good and the staff very helpful, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Room Tip: If you choose a bronze room 301 was a good choice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
AdamTerpening, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Thank you for writing a positive review on trip advisor following your recent visit to the Kings Hotel in Christchurch.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I have noted your generous praise about the quality of food and the friendly staff , which I will convey to both the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Excellent hotel, very welcoming and helpful staff, very attentive and polite but not overly so, just right. Booked last minute for short 2 night weekend break. Opted for Loft room, although small, the facilities were excellent with lovely large bathroom and very comfortable beds. Excellent location for wandering around Christchurch. Own car park at rear of hotel or park in bay opposite and leave keys with hotel to move for you. Would book again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
AdamTerpening, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Thank you so much for writing a review on trip advisor . I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I have conveyed your kind comments to the whole team who will be greatly motivated by your praise.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings Hotel very soon

Reviewed 23 March 2012

We recently spent three nights at The Kings as a base for exploring this part of Dorset. Our room was on the second floor and furnished to a very high standard. Decent size comfortable bed (important at 6'4"), great decor and fabulous bathroom with powerful shower and very up-to-date equipment. The brasserie style restaurant serves evening meals of a very high standard at reasonable prices (one small niggle - you would expect more fish choices on the menu at the coast) and the breakfasts are substantial and use good quality ingredients. Lovely bar for pre-dinner drinks and choosing from the menu. Plus the dinner, bed and breakfast deal we had was outstanding value for money.

But the key ingredient that makes this hotel so good is the staff. From reception, the bar, the restaurant, the chef, the general manager, the chambermaid - everyone we encountered was friendly, welcoming, courteous and helpful and they all seemed very happy to be working there, all the more remarkable given that some of them are comparatively young. If The Kings is representative of how Harbour Hotels hires and trains their staff, they should be a model for the hospitality industry. We will certainly now be trying out the other hotels in the group.

Room Tip: I'm told the top floor, attic rooms have limited headroom.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
AdamTerpening, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

Thank you so much for writing a review on trip advisor following your recent stay at the Kings Hotel in Christchurch. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and I appreciate your kind comments about my team, it is always very rewarding to receive such praise and I can assure you that I have made my team aware of your feedback. I have noted your comment about an additional fish main course which we will certainly look at when we next change our menu.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings in the future and thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed for 2 nights thurs/friday in March.Excellent town centre position where you can walk to The Priory, River,nature reserve and shops. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly,nothing too much trouble. The food and service in the dining room was excellent.The cheese soufle starter was well worth trying. The room we had on 1st floor over looking the car park was spacious, airy and furnished in a modern boutique style,bed linen lovely crisp and white. Bathroom large, excellent shower over bath but if you have any mobility problems ask for a walk in shower because the modern bath had quite a high side.The soap in the bathroom was minute and possibly for emergency use only. However will certainly return we liked it a lot.

Room Tip: When you find how to get into the car park its fine and secure.
1  Thank JMC6
AdamTerpening, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2012

Thank you finding the time to write a review on Trip advisor following your recent stay at the Kings Hotel in Christchurch. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and I have conveyed your praise to the whole team and in particular the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager. i appreciate your observation about the size of the soap tablet in the bathroom which I will certainly look at.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings Hotel very soon

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 13 March 2012

We have stayed at the Christchurch Harbour Hotel a number of times and thought we would try the Kings for a change.We had a three night stay DBB at a very reasonable rate. Staff lovely and welcoming. We stayed in room 201 on 2nd floor rear facing. Lovely generous size and big bathroom. We could see might get warm in the summer as had state of the art air conditioning unit and dyson fan, very impressive! Dinner excellent, cheese souffle to die for. Service on the first night, Thursday a bit mixed, our order got missed, but only two staff on trying to cope with bar and restaurant orders, they were running to keep up and in the end we felt a bit sorry for them. Much improved on Friday and Saturday.Cooked breakfast very good, I asked for poached egg, which wasn't on the menu and it was produced no problem. Again one morning our order got missed but waiter very apologetic and organised it immediately.
Finally I managed to leave my pyjamas behind in the room. I called to ask about them and Nicole on reception, sent them recorded delivery, no charge immediately. Stunning service!! Definitely be back!

Room Tip: We had room 201 at the back very quite. Probably faces North as no sunshine.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
AdamTerpening, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor following your recent stay at the Kings Hotel.

Overall , I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have conveyed your kind comments to my team and in particular Nicole on Reception and the Head Chef . I am sorry that dinner on the Thursday evening slipped in terms of service levels, but I appreciate your observations and feedback , which is very valuable to ensure that this does not recur in the future.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon

Reviewed 13 March 2012

This is a charming hotel with stylish, comfortable rooms and good service in a lovely location. I held my wedding here last year, which was wonderful - the event manager was brilliant and the food was particularly good considering they were serving so many people. We came back recently for a short break and the hotel still held its charm - the rooms and service were very good but it was the restaurant that we really wanted to sing home about. We're real foodies and we all had clean plates after each of our three courses!
Christchurch is a beautiful spot and is close to lots of other fantastic sites (Highcliffe castle, lots of beaches, Sandbanks, the New Forest, Mudiford and so on). We'd strongly recommend a visit.

Room Tip: The front of the hotel is on a road, which is not busy in the evening/night but the sound might anno...
2  Thank Kelly Z

Thank you so much for writing a review on Tripadvisor and the positive feedback following your Wedding Day with us last year and your recent stay this year. It is always very motivating to receive praise of this nature and I have ensured that my whole team are aware of your kind comments and in particular Karen Baker Events Manager and Tony Doyle Head Chef.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon

Kind regards

Reviewed 11 March 2012

This is our third visit to this boutique hotel and very definitely the best. We stayed in an elegant "platinium" room with an enormous king size bed that was very comfortable. The service was second to none and this time we had dinner as well as breakfast. The dinner menu is nicely thought out and the food was excellent as was the wine. This hotel overlooks the historic Priory grounds so you do hear church bells ringing but the view and comfort of the front of house rooms make it worth it. You could always ask for a room at the back of the hotel if you prefer to be quieter.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a road so if you would prefer a quieter room ask to be at the back. The front of h...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
AdamTerpening, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Thank you for your positive feedback following your recent stay with us . I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I will ensure that my team are aware of your praise and in particular the Chef for the of quality of the food and the Restaurant Manager for the level of service that you received. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon.

Adam S Terpening

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
#8 of 11 in Christchurch
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!