“Mediocre”
Review of The Kings Arms

The Kings Arms
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel one night for B&B. When I arrived outside the hotel I could not believe I was at the right hotel as judging from their web site photo I was expecting a free standing pink house. Now I know better; the hotel is opposite a boule green right by the main street leading over a small bridge, so the day time trafic noice is quite loud in rooms facing the street. And what makes it even worse is, that there is a trafic light controlling the single lane bridge trafic. With lorries and busses standing sometimes quite long for lred lights we were quite distrubed. The rooms facing the yard are to be recommeded for those preferring quiet rooms.
We had a large room, which was recently refurbished to high standards. The beds and linen were very good as well. The hotel is very well located in the midle of Christchurch with wievs to the priory and the old castle ruins. The town is absolutely adorable for long walks along the shores.

Room Tip: Choose rooms facing the yard - not the street.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The Kings Hotel while being able to offer a central location to all that Christchurch has to offer, unfortunate we do suffer with road noise and that the traffic lights are situated closed to the building but is only really busy during work commuting hours and does lessen in the evening.

We do apologies for the inconvenience and we do hope to see you again at the Kings Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Very satisfactory room, comfortable, well designed, & quiet (201 overlooking the rear quad) Food, extremely good and interesting choices, Staff more than helpful with a genuine smile on their faces. Pleasant private bar with ambiance. Location could not be better for Christchurch and surrounding areas. Overall a small quality hotel which is more than acceptable which we would return anytime

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing a positive review. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I will certainly share your comments with all my team.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

stop over visit-ideally situated in lovely town. Staff friendly and helpful. Room really very good- I would come back for this quality anytime. Having read somewhere this is a Gary Rhodes restaurant I had high expectations of the food. Maybe misinformed we found a Brasserie with short uninspiring wine list for white wine. The food itself was actually excellent.E:G cheese souflee so tasty then the pie of the day [fish] could could not be faulted. All round pleasant staff coped well with a busy evening-I would definitely come back here as my expectations of a gourmet restaurant were not the fault of the hotel who put on very good brasserie food and it was reasonably priced for this.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room overlooking back,sublime-quiet and very well appointed
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2012

Reviewed 14 May 2012

As frequent stayers we are always impressed by the high standard of rooms and the friendly atmosphere of the hotel. Good value especially with the dinner inclusive deal BUT this time the restaurant staff fell short. The main course arrived with but not as ordered and despite three reminders the wine did not arrive until well after the main course had been served. Also a poor choice of desserts with no light option - too rich for many tastes. A case of too many cooks not taking care of the diners. This will not stop us staying again but let down the overall performance of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to the Kings. I have noted your comments about the service and quality of the food, which I will absolutely share with the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

King Regards

Reviewed 9 May 2012

We had treated ourselves to the dinner,bed and breakfast deal they were doing. From the moment we arrived the staff could not do enough for us. Our room, which was in the eaves was lovely, our bathroom was wonderful to. Everywhere was scrupliously clean. We ate early, and met the chef which was exciting! and we then had a faultless meal, and a nice bottle of wine. When we had finished our dinner we went for a walk along the canal and saw the ruins which was a great way to end a lovely evening. After a good night sleep we had a wonderful breakfast which was cooked to order. We will definately go back, thankyou to everyone who made our stay memorable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing a positive review following your recent stay with us. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I will certainly share your comments with all my team.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We recently visited Kings, it wasn't our first visit. The hotel has central perfect location, very convenient and pleasant riverside walks. Our silver twin room was spacious, the staff were very friendly as usually. Our big dissaponting was food! Dinner menu could be better, lamb chops with mash peas-not the best for restaurant with name of Alex Aitken. Breakfast wasn't up to standart. My scrambled egg was very watery and grainy, toust making was self service!!! No milk for tea, no butter and sugar on the table.
It is a shame, because this is a lovely hotel but this aspect does let it down. Maybe, more staff needed at breakfast time and dinner menu should be more like in restaurant.

Room Tip: Rooms on the parking area are quieter.
1  Thank Olga Y

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to the Kings. I have noted your opinions about the quality of the food and service, which I will communicate to both the Head Chef and Restaurant Manager.

King Regards

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Had a wonderful meal at the Kings having been lured in by their local Fizz and Chips billboard campaign. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was relaxing, I'll definitely be eating their again with my wife. A unique dining experience and menu in Christchurch!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for writing a positive review following your dinner (Fizz & Chips) in our Kings Arms Restaurant and I will certainly share your comments with all my team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon.

Lukasz Dwornik

Also consider these accommodations in or near Christchurch
Christchurch Harbour Hotel & Spa
#7 of 11 in Christchurch
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in New Milton

Been to The Kings Arms? Share your experiences!