“Excellent !”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Christchurch
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Excellent !”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Visited this hotel last friday evening purely to sample a nice cocktail for my birthday but ended up staying the entire evening and having a meal in the restaurant. Upon entering the hotel we were made to feel welcome and the bar service was excellent with a charming polite young man concocting a delight for my cocktail. I peeked into the restaurant and was charmed by it and the selection on the menu and the price so we decided to stay . We both had the steak which was cooked to perfection and I had the most mouth watering chocolate brownie I have ever tasted. The service and professionalism was faultless , the ambiance beautiful and the whole evening turned into one of the nicest birthday meals I have had in a long time. I think the manager should be very proud of his staff and I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Thank you so much for such a positive review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I will certainly share your comments with all my team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 5 August 2012

Our room on the second floor was very comfortable and clean. TV, for those that like them, was wall mounted, but small. Everything worked and towels/bedding of good quality.
Parking is a problem when busy and you will be asked to leave your car keys at reception to facilitate the limited space. Evening meal was better than average with the restaurant full and busy.....a good sign for mid week. Staff are working hard to please and deserve a mention for getting it right.

Room Tip: Front rooms will have best views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing a positive review. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I will certainly share your comments with all my team. As I am sure you can appreciate that being in a town centre location parking is a luxury, and we do our best to accommodate you, we can provide parking for one car per room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon
redditch
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and i had a two night stay booked so we could relax and have a break on our own. We booked the hotel after staying at the Christchurch Harbour, a sister hotel and thought it looked good on the internet and had very good trip advisor reports. We were not disappointed, the room was beautiful, a large bed and a beautiful bathroom, fridge, tv, very good lighting, even the bath lit up!
I would also like to mention the staff who were lovely, Chris on breakfast duty, very helpful and had good local knowledge of the area. Kim on reception, was a delight. Sam, a young man in the restaurant very friendly and helpful, the £15 pound menu, sourced locally within 15 miles is excellent value for money. The only slight minus point is the parking, but you cant have everything. That wont stop us returning.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front a little noisy, road traffic, with the window open. Rooms at the back quieter, bu...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for writing a positive review. I am so delighted that you enjoyed your visit and I will certainly share your comments with all my team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

If you want a weekend where you are treated like royalty - then I would highly recommend The Kings Arms Hotel in Christchurch. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the room with the view of the Priory was just amazing - and the bed is huge!! We ate in the hotel both nights and the food was exceptional and afternoon tea in the lounge on Saturday afternoon was brilliant - we had a glass of sparkly rather than tea - well it was my husbands birthday! The staff are just amazing and nothing is too much for them. We had such a great time and we can't thank Lukasz and the team enough. We loved it so much our son is now looking at the hotel for his wedding!!

1 Thank Sue K
Thank you for such a lovely review, I am thrilled that you enjoyed you stay with us at The Kings Arms, I will pass on you kind words to the Staff, and look forward to welcoming you back very soon
Tavistock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We have stayed at the Kings Hotel quite regularly as we stay when we drive up from Devon to visit my mother in law. We have learnt to ask for a room at the back of the hotel where the view of the parking courtyard is not as pretty as the view of the old Priory, but it is much quieter. On our most recent stay we had a Queen room which was spacious and well proportioned, with an efficient, if a little noisy, air conditioning unit. There were also 'wifi' issues, but we were not on a business trip , so it was not important. However, the arrangements concerning dining, both for our evening meal and breakfast, and the automatic addition of a tip on the final bill meant that it is highly unlikely that we will be returning. It was busy in the restaurant in the evening, and despite the best attempts of the barman-who made a great mojito it has to be said-the staff appeared harassed and very rushed. There appeared to be no front of house, but it may be that it was their night off-it was a Sunday. We had booked a table at 8pm and arrived in the bar at 7.50 for a pre dinner drink. We were taken to our table at 8.45, where our order was taken, our starters arrived just after 9. We were actually in a fairly relaxed frame of mind, but we're hungry and if we book a table for 8, expect to be eating our first course by 8.30 at the latest. It may be that the kitchen could not take any more orders, or a table was not available. And talking of tables, they are ridiculously close together, so that most of the meal is spent with a waiter/waitresses hovering at a very nearby table. The background music playing was a little on the loud side, possibly to drown out having to listen to your very nearby neighbours conversation. Also the music was on a very short loop-not acceptable considering how easy it is to have a selection of music that can last several days, let alone a couple of hours....the same music was playing at breakfast. The food was good, although a little heavy handed with the seasoning. Breakfast was a very crowded experience, with a very tired and almost surly staff wanting to herd the guests onto tables in a corner of the restaurant-understandable when you are short staffed- but when tables are so close together it becomes something which is done for the convenience of the staff, and not the comfort of the guests. The practice of just adding a tip in the final bill is not one I appreciate. We would have left a tip, but at our discretion, possibly more than the automatic tip that had been added, but we asked for it to be removed, which it easily was-apparently it is automatically generated by 'the machine', a human must have programmed the machine? All in all I was left with the feeling that the hotel is being very aggressively marketed, which may well prove to be successful in the short term, but may not benefit the hotel in the long term.

Room Tip: Quieter at the back of the hotel, but view better at the front.
2 Thank Heyhey56
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Dear guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your stay at my Hotel. First of all may I offer my apologies for any short comings you experienced during your stay. Clearly I was concerned to read the content of your review and I can ensure you I will be following up the individual points with my management team. I do hope that this isolated change in our normal level of service will not deter you from returning to my hotel.
Once again please accept my apologies and I would appreciate if you would contact me personally in the event you wish to rebook with us.

Regards
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed here recently while in the area. An old fashioned hotel with amazing staff and first class service.Fabulous Sunday night offer - amazing bedroom, spa-like bathroom and the most amazing dinner @ £15 per head. Breakfast also top class. Only downside is parking is at a premium although on return we managed to find the 'enclosed' rear carpark, A truly excellent gem with wonderful staff. So impressed that we returned to stay on our final night prior to leaving the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Lukasz-Dwornik, General Manager at The Kings Arms, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Thank You for your kind words, we are so glad that you enjoyed you stay with us, as I am sure you will understand being a in a town center location parking is a premium. We are able to provide parking for one car per room of the hotel and will always make room for our guest.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kings very soon

Kind Regards
wiltshire
Reviewed 13 July 2012

We enjoyed out stay at the Kings Hotel HUGELY. The best thing about it, which made us feel it was the best hotel we had ever stayed in, was the friendliness of the staff, and the way they made us feel they genuinely cared about how much we enjoyed staying in the hotel. We noticed several staff in the restaurant taking time to talk to an elderly lady dining on her own. Every single member of staff was wonderful - so welcoming and the service was superb. Our room was huge, light and airy with two massive sash windows - and big sitting area - a bit noisy from the road with traffic lights outside - but the room and bathroom were so pleasant it made up for it. On our fishing experience trip, tea and cupcakes was part of the deal but we asked for sandwiches instead and were given wonderful platefuls - with chips. It was a great start to a fabulous holiday. We felt thoroughly spoilt - so well looked after on the fishing trip - great fun going out with Alex and Jamie the skipper and fellow guests - followed by fizz and hot soup, then Alex's wonderful demonstration, and loads of tastes of our mackerel and pollock cooked in different ways, a wonderful spread for lunch with wine, just for us. The tasting menu in the evening was incredible - a shame we couldn't do it justice after our fabulous lunch - even after a snooze and a great walk - what an amazing place Christchurch is - so many unexpected things to see and even the locals seem extra friendly. Thanks to Lucasz and Alex and all the staff for a memorable stay.

Room Tip: 103 is a fabulous, large, light room with huge sash windows, big sofa and sitting area.. Only drawba...
1 Thank wiltshire39
Thank You for taking the time to write this review, this experience day aptly named “Catch it, Cook it, Eat it”, was the first of many that we have planned across the summer months.
We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and your comments will be passed on to the staff, Looking forward to seeing you both again.

Kind Regards