“a real disappointment”
Review of Seapoint B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Seapoint B&B
Ranked #27 of 32 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I wish I had read the reviews on trip adviser before my Mum booked this B&B.

We booked this weekend away as my Mum had been let down and could not go on her holiday to Scotland as planned.

We know the area well and booked Seapoint as it was well positioned. However, I would have been more than happy to have had a less convenient location in exchange for better facilities. Our room was well below an acceptable standard and our "private facilties" were down the hall. The literature in our room advised the shower room down the hall was "just for us" and "noone sees you". I really don't know how this latter statement could be made. The shower room was opposite room 1 and room 2 (our room) was opposite the main front door. Accordingly, I do not know how people entering the building and entering room 1 would not have seen us leaving the shower room. Ensuite facilities are a must and guests should be told of the situation with regard to room 2 upon booking in order they can make a decision as to whether they wish to stay. I did not like leaving the shower in with a towel wrapped round me in view of all the other guests!

The room was tiny and well below average standard. The furniture was outdated and the television reception was dreadful and only had the standard four channels. The pillows and mattress were hard and my Mum really didn't sleep very well because of this. The room did not smell of damp as per the comments of other guests. However, this may be due to the two air freshners I found behind the back of my bed when unplugging my hair dryer on the day of departure.

Breakfast was a fiasco on both mornings. We sat at one table which was tiny and rickerty and indeed was so unstable the orange juice spilled as we sat down. We were moved to another table only to watch as two other guests were given our orange juice sodden table. Their orange juice was not replaced and they had to sit on a table with a soaked table cloth.

The waitress had no idea what was for breakfast and it could be compared to an episode of Fawlty Towers. The toast was late and cold and the breakfast itself was simply "ok". Breakfast on day two was very amusing! The waitress, once again could not get the breakfast order correct despite deciding to write it down. The couple sharing our table had coffee with a tea bag in it even though this was supposed to be hot water to refill the coffee and tea pots. The butter had melted and was rancid and the toast was late again! The highlight of breakfast that morning was the camaraderie of the other guests who were all equally disgruntled with the quality of the service and rooms at Seapoint. It made quite a talking point!

Despite all of this my Mum and I had a lovely time but this was due to enjoying each others company and the places we visited. We would not return to Seapoint under any circumstances. I will be telephoning and writing to complain as I could not do this during our weekend as the proprietor was away.

Room Tip: there isn't one....go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank jane1067
brianfoxChristchurch, Owner at Seapoint B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2012

On this Incident I was away for the weekend at a wedding and left the break fast to the staff.
All guests are told at the time of booking that the private facilities are two steps across the corridor.

The private facility rooms do have the bathrooms diagonally across the hall way. The doorways are no opposite any other door but offset, unfortunately that the design of the house and that how it is it can’t be helped. All guests in these rooms are offered a dressing gown to use to travel the very short distance 4 feet.

The room are adequate for two people, the room are standard domestic size built in 1980s that the design of the house and that how it is it can’t be helped.

The room table is only 3 years old, the TV is connected to a digital box to receive over 50 channels but I must assume the guest pressed the wrong button on the remote control switching off the digital box thus receiving the 4 analogue channels. There are instructions on the wall below the TV on how to operate.

The beds are with foam mattresses hypoallergenic to maintain cleanliness. The rooms are not damp all rooms need air to circulate and opening the window a small amount will suffice, the air fresheners are there to help in the freshness.

The two ladies were place on the smaller table as the there was others were occupied usually the small table is used for one person but when very busy the two will share. Guest should be aware of the table legs on being seated. I wasn’t there to check what was happening.

The staff that were at Seapoint are no longer with use and we are now training up new staff for 2012.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I enjoyed my 3-night stay at Seapoint. The room was comfortable, the landlady was friendly and thoughtful, the breakfasts were well prepared and tasty and the location was very handy for walks by Christchurch Harbour.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank ExpatbritLuxembourg
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I was looking forward to my room with a sea view (for which I had paid extra) and I had said when I phoned to book that as I was on my own at least I could enjoy sitting looking at the view. It was therefore very disappointing to be shown to a room in the roof with 3 velux windows. If I stood up and craned my head round I could see a glimpse of the water beside some tall trees - not what I had in mind.
Being told that they were not sure when I was arriving (that day or the next) as I got out of the car was not a good start. The bed was comfortable with nice bedding - I could not use the wardrobe in the room (private) so had to hang my clothes on a rail - unusual considering the price I was paying. Banged my head four times on the ceiling. Breakfast was OK - not the coffee.
No one is to blame for the weather - gales - but in the roof with wind whistling and rain drumming on the windows which are part of the roof it is impossible to sleep. Should have done more research. Left a day early - mainly because of the weather but disappointed with my sea view as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank elizabeth t
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Horrible room with unbelievably awful bedding. The "en suite" was down the corridor. Smells of damp and worse. Odd landlady who asked for cash and charged us £93 for one night. We left first thing in the morning without sampling the breakfast. I can't understand how the Tourist Board and Visit England do 't close this down.

The noises in the room from the plumbling were unbelievable.

The only good thing about this place is the situation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank eviesum
brianfoxChristchurch, Owner at Seapoint B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2011

From The Ower of SEAPOINT
We do not have Damp rooms we did not know what the problem was but have replaced under bases of beds that might of been the problem as for the plumbing the customers must appeciate that we all have to get up and wash and shower movement is nesserary in the morning. with people above.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Avoid. Bedrooms need total makeover. En suite was promised and is down the hall. Tiny cupboard under the stairs. Whole place smells of damp.
Over priced at £93 for double room for one night!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank Nick186273
Reviewed 20 June 2011

Although clean and tidy, we had the unfortunate luck of getting the room at the front. Tiny, as said in the first review, and the shower room under the stairs, is what it says. To small to swing a cat, we had to dry off outside, even cleaning your teeth is difficult!
The landlady pleasent and helpfull, breakfast was adequat, enough to set you up for the day.
Yes its not good value for money, have had better acomodation elswhere, the only good atribute is that its close to the quay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank owenwheeler7
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Arrived at Seapoint and met Bernice, she was very helpful. Went to our room which was we found clean and comfortable. Walked to the Haven at Mudeford quay and had a nice meal and enjoyed the sunset. Spent the night in comfortable bed got a good nights sleep.
In the morning we had a freshly cooked breakfast plenty to keep us going all day. We then spent the day walking to Christchurch and Hengisbury Head returned back via the ferry from Mudeford sand bank to the Quay. Arriving at Seapoint. Had another night at Seapoint and good breakfast. We were sorry we had to leave would liked to have stayed longer.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple