“Good Bed and Breakfast best places for sailing”
Review of Seapoint B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Seapoint B&B
Ranked #25 of 32 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Good Bed and Breakfast best places for sailing”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed with my wife at Seapoint and enjoyed the experience. We were on a weekend sailing event at the local sailing club. The lady at Seapoint was very pleasant and helpful; she provided the excellent breakfast for us and other guests who were also sailing. The earlier breakfasts allowed us to prepare for the days racing. Seapoint is conveniently placed for sailing and the beach. It was clean with a friendly atmosphere, highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Holsworthy, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is the most ill conceived B & B in England.
Having stayed in room no 5 which is obviously underneath the proprietors living accommodation, the damp musty smell and dated furniture and furnishings awaited us. Having booked a room for three people we were greeted by the sight of twin beds and a army surplus camp bed with a single sofa bed mattress teetering on the top!!!!!
Having removed the army surplus camp bed we put the sofa bed mattress on the floor ( which was nice ) bearing in mind we were being charged £60 a night for just the room and no breakfast.
at 6.05 am plumbing was growling like an aircraft until 6.45am and at 6.55 we were greeted by the sound of the proprietor moving a sideboard in the room above !!!
This happened on a daily basis throughout our 3 day stay. Furthermore the lack of ventilation in a tiny room with three of us it was apparent that the window opened into the proprietors conservatory!!!!! Which was not ideal, due to the location of the B & B it would have been nice to have had some fresh sea air!!!!
The carpeted bathroom lacked a panel to the end of the bath with a black sack stuffed in it, broken architrave which was holding a pulley for the light, the lack of water pressure to the dated bath/shower did not make for a pleasant experience.
Bedding very very tired, bobbly sheets, bad pillows cant make out whether it was a duvet or a sheet but it looked liked a curtain. Bad door locks added to the anxiety.
Worrying piece of gaff tape stuck on top of shaving light added to it all.
Instead of a relaxing break it turned into a military maneuver in which we had to dodge the landlady!! My children were thoroughly exhausted by the early mornings.
could go on but have now lost the will to live.
Completely overbearing nosey landlady.
utterly appalling
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont even think about this at all!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Trevor R
brianfoxChristchurch, Owner at Seapoint B&B, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Beds

The guest was made aware on the phone that the third person will be on a camp bed as all rooms are twins or doubles as the rooms at Seapoint are not suitable for three adults. The guest did not want to pay for the extra room, as they were on a ‘budget’ and wanted to reduce the costs.
On arrival, I was told by the mother, that the father and the two daughters were happy with the situation within the room. The following morning I saw them, they were happy no comments were made.

Dampness.
The room was not damp as suggested, however it would have become humid with three people in the room without the window being opened to allow air to circulate, it could have been opened.
The room does back on to the conservatory which has 10 opening windows of which 5 were slightly open to allow ventilation. It is up to the guest whether they like fresh air, they have the choice to open the room window day or night, the conservatory acts as a security and rain barrier but is well ventilated.

Noise.

Unfortunately other guest are in the house and may choose to use the bathroom, take showers or flush the toilet any time, this can cause some noise.
Seapoint do not move furniture around first thing in the morning we do not even have a sideboard.
I have checked the bedroom for noise when my husband walk across the floor above, a small amount of floor board creaking was heard as expected with wooden floors but no excessive noise as suggested.

The bath panel came with the bath which is short by 6 inches from the wall. The gap is not easily seen as it is behind the hand basin pedestal. The plastic bag is loft insulation to help in maintaining warmth during the winter months as the bathroom is situated on the outside wall. A 6 inch additional panel will be fitted to the bath panel in due course.
The duvet covers are a pastel shade and light weight now the weather is warmer. The pillow are of the same material.

The door lock can be tight to operate but are secure.

The tape on the top of the shaving lamp secured the Perspex cover in place, as the heat of the lamp has softened the material preventing it from clipping on securely; if the cover is loosen then the lamp stops working, the shaving lamp is about 2 years old.

The water pressure in not low, the flow is restricted in the hot system so that the water is adequately heated is it flows through the Combi boiler. Filling baths is slightly slow. Showing their fine.

I failed to understand why they wanted to avoid me, I left them alone, seeing them after the first night and on the last day to collect the door keys. They seem to leave early in the morning and return late at night, no wonder the children were exhausted after staying out late every night.

The mother complained about the room, they were happy on arrive and turned nasty on leaving.
The criticism at totally and fair and exaggerated on most points.

Travellers are raving about these Christchurch hotels

Letchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2011

Travelled from North Herts for a special birthday celebration for my husband on 1st October, only to find a post it note pinned to the door saying that there was no accommodation available due to a problem with the online booking system......why did they not have the courtesy to telephone us before we did the 300mile journey? Checked with the online booking people who confirmed that if we had received a booking number, then that indicated that there was no problem at all with the booking system. All efforts to contact the proprietor were in vain....phones just switched off after a few rings......wished I too like other guests had read the reviews of other persons let down like ourselves. Just to leave a post it note on the door says it all I suppose !!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Merle F
The over booking occurred due to the online booking system not keeping pace with the telephone booking I was taking. The online system was updated on my computer but it took sometime to filter onto the online computer system run by a third party.

When I knew that there was a problem with over booking I tried to contact ALL guests that were affected. However their phones were either not answered or turned off. As I had a prearranged event and had to go out for the evening I placed a notice on the door explaining the situation and to call my mobile.

Unfortunately the event had to mobile phone free, it would have been illegal for me to have the phone in operation. I did however speak to some of the effected people after I was allowed to use my phone and explained the situation.

Seapoint do not use the third party online booking system after the bad episode. Phone or email inquiries and bookings only.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Though we were allocated the same room as the previous reviewer with a "private" bathroom away down the hall, I was told so before hand, and the facility and meal were kept at a standard I could appreciate the proprietors' effort, as long as I understand it is not a newly renovated shiny place, nor expected to serve amazing food. What shocked me was I was told off in front of other guests and my little girl at the breakfast table that I booked for two nights but changed my mind to stay for only one without telling them, which I simply did not understand as I agreed for one night with the very person. She yelled at me that she had been in this business for so many years she never made mistakes, which was also very untrue considering the chaos many guests including myself were experiencing as to how to enter the premise while the proprietor was away without reach over the busy weekend. Names spelt for the room was completely wrong I did not realise it was my room either! It turned out she mistook myself with another guest who were indeed staying for two nights, and apologised. But I felt hurt and it spoilt the beautiful October weekend with my little girl! The only reason you (but not me again!) may still stay here is the great location around the corner from the beautiful Mudeford port and Avon beach. I am sure you can find a much more pleasant place at a similar rate if you book well in advance.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Raccooon
Seaford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I wish I had read the reviews on trip adviser before my Mum booked this B&B.

We booked this weekend away as my Mum had been let down and could not go on her holiday to Scotland as planned.

We know the area well and booked Seapoint as it was well positioned. However, I would have been more than happy to have had a less convenient location in exchange for better facilities. Our room was well below an acceptable standard and our "private facilties" were down the hall. The literature in our room advised the shower room down the hall was "just for us" and "noone sees you". I really don't know how this latter statement could be made. The shower room was opposite room 1 and room 2 (our room) was opposite the main front door. Accordingly, I do not know how people entering the building and entering room 1 would not have seen us leaving the shower room. Ensuite facilities are a must and guests should be told of the situation with regard to room 2 upon booking in order they can make a decision as to whether they wish to stay. I did not like leaving the shower in with a towel wrapped round me in view of all the other guests!

The room was tiny and well below average standard. The furniture was outdated and the television reception was dreadful and only had the standard four channels. The pillows and mattress were hard and my Mum really didn't sleep very well because of this. The room did not smell of damp as per the comments of other guests. However, this may be due to the two air freshners I found behind the back of my bed when unplugging my hair dryer on the day of departure.

Breakfast was a fiasco on both mornings. We sat at one table which was tiny and rickerty and indeed was so unstable the orange juice spilled as we sat down. We were moved to another table only to watch as two other guests were given our orange juice sodden table. Their orange juice was not replaced and they had to sit on a table with a soaked table cloth.

The waitress had no idea what was for breakfast and it could be compared to an episode of Fawlty Towers. The toast was late and cold and the breakfast itself was simply "ok". Breakfast on day two was very amusing! The waitress, once again could not get the breakfast order correct despite deciding to write it down. The couple sharing our table had coffee with a tea bag in it even though this was supposed to be hot water to refill the coffee and tea pots. The butter had melted and was rancid and the toast was late again! The highlight of breakfast that morning was the camaraderie of the other guests who were all equally disgruntled with the quality of the service and rooms at Seapoint. It made quite a talking point!

Despite all of this my Mum and I had a lovely time but this was due to enjoying each others company and the places we visited. We would not return to Seapoint under any circumstances. I will be telephoning and writing to complain as I could not do this during our weekend as the proprietor was away.

Room Tip: there isn't one....go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank jane1067
On this Incident I was away for the weekend at a wedding and left the break fast to the staff.
All guests are told at the time of booking that the private facilities are two steps across the corridor.

The private facility rooms do have the bathrooms diagonally across the hall way. The doorways are no opposite any other door but offset, unfortunately that the design of the house and that how it is it can’t be helped. All guests in these rooms are offered a dressing gown to use to travel the very short distance 4 feet.

The room are adequate for two people, the room are standard domestic size built in 1980s that the design of the house and that how it is it can’t be helped.

The room table is only 3 years old, the TV is connected to a digital box to receive over 50 channels but I must assume the guest pressed the wrong button on the remote control switching off the digital box thus receiving the 4 analogue channels. There are instructions on the wall below the TV on how to operate.

The beds are with foam mattresses hypoallergenic to maintain cleanliness. The rooms are not damp all rooms need air to circulate and opening the window a small amount will suffice, the air fresheners are there to help in the freshness.

The two ladies were place on the smaller table as the there was others were occupied usually the small table is used for one person but when very busy the two will share. Guest should be aware of the table legs on being seated. I wasn’t there to check what was happening.

The staff that were at Seapoint are no longer with use and we are now training up new staff for 2012.
Luxembourg
Reviewed 16 September 2011

I enjoyed my 3-night stay at Seapoint. The room was comfortable, the landlady was friendly and thoughtful, the breakfasts were well prepared and tasty and the location was very handy for walks by Christchurch Harbour.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ExpatbritLuxembourg
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I was looking forward to my room with a sea view (for which I had paid extra) and I had said when I phoned to book that as I was on my own at least I could enjoy sitting looking at the view. It was therefore very disappointing to be shown to a room in the roof with 3 velux windows. If I stood up and craned my head round I could see a glimpse of the water beside some tall trees - not what I had in mind.
Being told that they were not sure when I was arriving (that day or the next) as I got out of the car was not a good start. The bed was comfortable with nice bedding - I could not use the wardrobe in the room (private) so had to hang my clothes on a rail - unusual considering the price I was paying. Banged my head four times on the ceiling. Breakfast was OK - not the coffee.
No one is to blame for the weather - gales - but in the roof with wind whistling and rain drumming on the windows which are part of the roof it is impossible to sleep. Should have done more research. Left a day early - mainly because of the weather but disappointed with my sea view as well.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo