“Pay more and go elsewhere”
Review of Seapoint B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Christchurch
Seapoint B&B
Ranked #27 of 32 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I am only writing this review as my partner wrote the review below and the response from the owner is completely inaccurate- almost to the point of lying (sea view was not a free upgrade, I did pay for it- see the picture of my booking to prove this, and also of the se view I actually got). I booked and paid for this stay and my review is below;

I booked my stay back in January for a friend's wedding through booking.com and didn't want to spend too much as I knew I wouldn't be in the room very much, but booked a sea view as a preference for a bit extra.
The day after I booked the owner called and forcefully asked if there was a reason why I hadn't put down my address- to be honest I thought a mobile number & email would be sufficient... she then told me I'd have to arrive after 4pm as it was her shopping day- I wanted to arrive earlier initially, but as it turned out my partner couldn't get the time off work, so we had to travel down later anyway- arriving just after 8pm.

The owner called me again about a month before (March) telling me there had been a double booking the night before for the sea view room that wasn't her fault (fair enough). But then she asked me can I downgrade to a standard room (not sea view) with no mention of any money back or could I pay more to secure the sea view (a room I'd already paid for & booked back in Jan). I work in travel & this is completely unacceptable. I said it wasn't right that if I booked first I should be moved or made to pay more. It could've easily been explained to the people who booked the night before... she said she would ask them & call me back which she did, but said not to mention anything to my partner so to not 'upset the apple cart' and that she had sorted it & it was unfair to ask me to pay more as I booked first- absolutely! She also asked if I minded an 'open plan room' to which I admit, I replied "no"- however, I have stayed in open plan rooms all over the world, and each one always had the toilet, if nothing else, behind a door- sometimes a frosted glass door, but a door all the same. Not just a curtain where all noises & smells can enjoyed by the person sitting in the bedroom too (it's a good job we aren't uncomfortable with each other). There must be a health law regarding this...!

When we got there the owner banged on my car window to move across closer to the wall to allow another car to park next to mine- even though you could've fitted a bus beside me in the next space.
We were shown to our attic room (no. 5) to which I asked is this a sea view, yes she replied.. not sure exactly what she could see but to me no sea could be seen.. She then told us as we had a special rate as it was around Easter and breakfast wasnt included, it would be an extra £10 each. I said it was, as thats what I booked & showed her my booking which clearly stated breakfast was included, to which she replied 'we'd better honour it then'. If we had paid a special rate, booking it as far in advance as I did- isn't it up to owner who sets the rates with third parties to know when holidays are and to the rates as they wish?!- the fact I booked early & probably paid less than she would have liked is not my fault.

The sea view we supposedly had was a sea view if you were an extra in the film 'the exorcist' and twisted your head to the right to see it. Have a look a look at the lovely 'sea view' in the picture... To me a sea view is having unobstructed views, not having to go out of your way to see it...

Down for breakfast in the morning we were sat with two other guests all saying the same thing... they paid more than I did but said they put jeans on the chair in their room and picked them up the next day & they were wet, so I'm glad I wasn't put in that room!

It does make me wonder though, if we did pay more, would we still have been put in a standard room even though I paid for a seaview or would our experience be exactly the same? As I don't know the answer to this, my suggestion would be to pay a bit more & go somewhere else, somewhere that will appreciate every customer regardless of what they paid & not try to get anymore money out of you...

Room Tip: Avoid room 5 (the attic room) Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Marshmallow85

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Ok, firstly I would like to get the good part done. On a positive note, I had a good sleep and the bed was comfortable.

Now that that has been taken care of...

The owner of the B&B was a tad overbearing to say the least. Prior to us staying, she called my other half (who had booked the room in January) and said that she had double booked the room and that we may have to change from a Sea-View to a standard. My Mrs asked who booked first, and it turned out to be us. So, quite rightly so, she asked why we should change rooms when we had the original booking. This then quieted down for a while...however, this was only the beginning.

Upon arrival, after the woman thumping on the window of my Mrs car telling her to park closer to the wall we went in and followed the woman to the "upper room" - which was a loft room. Now, yes, I guess you COULD call it a sea-view. However, to see the sea you had to open the window and hang your head out of it or press your face up against the right side of the glass. Anyway - the bed, being in the centre of the room, was next to what we thought was a mirrored panel wardrobe - that was not a wardrobe - and this was the only place in the room where I could stand up straight due to the slanting ceilings. Also, the "en suite" - this was a toilet with a sink - again in the slanted portion of the room so, as a bloke, standing up to go to the loo was problematic as I had to hunch over as if I was staring at some interesting object in the base of the toilet. The shower was right next to the loo in a cubicle. However, the only thing separating the bed and the en-suite was a curtain. No door. So if desired, the person in bed can sit and stare at the person on the loo. Right that is the room.

So we get in there and as we booked through a third-party site and got a “good deal” on the price, she informed us as soon as we arrived that we had to pay £10 per head for breakfast as that was not part of our deal – to which we informed her that it was. She was adamant it wasn’t and we had to report to showing her our booking confirmation that stated we were correct. Her response was – “oh we better honour that then”. Also, if you are staying here, I hope you are partial to notices – there are notices everywhere. One on the thermostat, two on the telly – and if you come in late (say from a wedding reception like us) there will be a notice on the staircase telling you how it is important to respect the neighbours. The notices on the telly on how to work the “Thompson” remote – which was a different make – didn’t work. Also the Wifi code had more digits than a socialites phonebook, so we didn’t bother.

On breakfast – which thank goodness we didn’t pay £10 for – we were seated at a table and then she sat another couple with us – which was OK I guess – and upon speaking to they also had some issues with their room – hopefully should they write a review you will see what they are – and the breakfast was a couple of rashers of bacon, beans, an egg, and tea/coffee etc. – certainly not worth £10. There were also cereals and things but we didn’t have those. When I was leaving the place to have a cigarette outside I was hollered at to not leave without saying goodbye and leaving the key.

To be completely honest, some people may like the overbearing/overfriendly manner of the owner. I and my partner were not amongst those people. Personally, I was completely unsatisfied with everything except the bed – and I had been at a wedding reception so as you can imagine, falling asleep was never gonna be a problem. I have written many reviews on trip-advisor – some about b&b’s and I always try to remain objective and do not want to come off as a complainer – however, there was nothing whatsoever I would recommend about this place. The only thing saving it from a one star review was the fact I slept well. The “good deal” we had through the booking site was ultimately in my opinion not worth it. I am certain that the owner will no doubt rant at seeing this review and get defensive as she has done with previous others. Whatever the case, I personally will be taking the matter further as I felt that we were, in many ways, misled on the facilities and standard of the place. If we weren’t forward thinking enough to bring our booking slip, she would have fleeced us for an extra £20 for breakfast that we had already paid for. Do not book this place – save yourself the trouble.

However, if you are fan of things like “Ripley’s believe it or not” or ultimately enjoy watching your other half having their morning constitutional while you lay in bed then this is definitely the place for you.

Room Tip: If you do not fancy being hunched all day, not the loft room...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank HubbyBubblyMan
brianfoxChristchurch, Owner at Seapoint B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

The bed will be comfortable as it is a very expensive mattress.

I only tapped on window in case of knocking wall and damaging their Audi sports car also the wall. This wall has been dislodge from it footing a couple of years ago by a guest, recently it has been scraped again cracking the joints.

I spoke to the lady on the phone 3 months before they arrived. They were only paid budget price she kept talking on about when she booked in January they were having had a standard room. I rang her and told her I had would upgrade the room to the sea view room, but this en-suite is a unique design with a curtain to provide privacy and should talk to the man. She said she would speak to the other half to tell him about the room and if the room was ok she would call back. As I had no news then everything was ok but it seems she never told him about the room that’s why I have this on bad review.

The curtain is easily pulled across.

The room was booked through a third party site the shows on one page that the room rate excludes breakfast and another page includes continental. I was taken a back that the booking showed breakfast was includes, so I waived the charge and includes a cooked breakfast, normally £5 per person, not £10 said by the reviewer. Lady had ‘full house’ two pieces of bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms as well toast. The husband had two poached eggs and toast and remarked he had a SKIN FULL last night and didn’t want much.
The room has three large Velux windows which gives you a view of the harbour, Hengisbury Head they also can be opened to view ‘Old Harry’s Rocks’ near Poole if the weather is clear enough. You don’t have to stand on tip toe to see the view unless you are 3 foot tall.

I am a friendly person and only try to help guests

The third party web site has been contacted and amended it now shows the room rate without breakfast to save any more misunderstanding.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Had a lovely stay. Room was immaculately clean. Staff a little overpowering but Im guessing they just want you to enjoy your stay?. All in all a 'nice' place a tad overpriced but in comparison to other hotels in the area a good deal. Very friendly.....maybe a little too friendly and made to feel a little uncomfortable at times but I dont think thats a conscious thing. Probably wouldn't stay again but was ok for 1 night

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Picklepants17
Reviewed 21 November 2013

If you are going to Mudeford and looking for good quality, reasonably priced accommodation, then look no further than Seapoint. We stayed here for a long weekend in November to celebrate our Ruby Wedding. Bernice is a great host - most friendly, helpful and kind. She had even left a box of chocolates and a card on our four poster bed. We had a lovely breakfast and spent the days around Mudeford and Christchurch taking the ferries across the harbour. Thank you for a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
brianfoxChristchurch, Owner at Seapoint B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2015

Reviewed 21 November 2013

If you are going to Mudeford and looking for good quality, reasonably priced accommodation, then look no further than Seapoint. We stayed here for a long weekend in November to celebrate our Ruby Wedding. Bernice was a great host - most friendly, helpful and kind. She had even left a box of chocolates and a card on our four poster bed. We had a lovely breakfast and spent the days around Mudeford and Christchurch taking the ferries across the harbour. Thank you for a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2013

My husband and myself stayed at Seapoint for our 15th wedding anniversary. We had the four poster room which was lovely. The full English breakfast was great, the plates were hot and breakfast well displayed, the coffee and toast were brought out to us by Bernice. Everything was well presented and the decor was of high standards.
We managed to look around Mudeford and Christchurch though the weather wasn’t too good. There was plenty to do, walking along the beach and promenade at Mudeford Quay.
We had a nice evening meal at Avon Beaches ‘The Noisy Lobster’ just a 5minute walk from Seapoint.
Would recommend Seapoint to anyone and will be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rachel M

I appreciate the nice reviews for Seapoint, many thanks

Reviewed 31 October 2013

A few weeks ago my husband and I, with another couple staying at Seapoint, we all loved it. Seapoint was clean, breakfast good and served efficiently by Bernice. There were no complaints, excellent value. We had the four poster room which was lovely the room was immaculate; our friend’s room gave them a view of the harbour. We were able to park right outside the entrance. We had wonderful weather for our visit to Mudeford, walking and taking a ferry trip over to Hengistbury Head beach and up the river to Christchurch. We have all stayed at more expensive bed and breakfasts and had more complaints. Would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends