“Gone down hill”

Captain's Club Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 157 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$13 - US$47
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Club restaurant is open for all day dining and offers a single menu encompassing a range of exciting dishes all to two AA rosette standard. A team of twelve chefs look after your every need and we cater for vegetarians and vegans too. We offer a shipmates junior menu for our younger guests. Beautiful views of the river and alfresco dining on the terrace during the summer months. Breakfast served from 7.30am, last orders for dinner are taken at 9.30pm.
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I used to love visiting the Captains Club . It was a real treat . It's all changed for some unknown reason . It's now slightly run down ,whereas the decor used to be immaculate . As soon as you enter the hotel there is a desk where customers have to form a queue before being allowed to enter the bar area . We were asked if we had booked a table and they would have to check if they had a free table. It was mid afternoon and the bar area was deserted because everyone was seated outside. We only wanted a drink but was asked for our credit card which would be held behind the bar. I refused ,having had my card copied in the past I'm wary of letting it out of my sight . I was then asked to pay up front for drinks which took forever . Nothing like asking for the money when the drinks arrived - like every other cafe/ restaurant all over the world !
I hope the restaurant is still as good as it used to be , but seeing the bar area and the whole ambience was awful , I probably won't be rushing back. My advice would be to get rid of that desk at the front entrance and just let people wander into the place without queuing - it has worked well for years so why ruin first impressions .

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Last night four of us went to this restauraunt for a special birthday (31/07/14) we were filled with excitement at the thought of a superb meal ..Now we are frequent users of Pebble beach and not having had the best meal or the best service the last time we went we were filled with excitement that The Captains Club would surpass itself...lovely looking place and very clean .....waiter brought the drinks menu and I had the best Pina colada i have had in a long time.... We were then given the menu 2 of us chose the cheese souffle (sadly it was no were near as good as Pebble beach and although the sauce was lovely the souffle was very stodgy) the scallops and the pate were delicous.. we ladies then ordered half a lobster each with a side salad the men had Sea bass with lobster mash ( the mash was VILE) and a fillet steak...when my Husbands sea bass arrived it was the smallest bass fillet we had all ever seen in fact a fish finger would have been bigger !! the steak was the smallest ever too and although was asked for it to be well done it came cremated.... by the time we called the waiter to complain about this . we girls had had all of four small mouthfuls and our lobster was gone and we did not get the side salads that we had ordered...and our friend had to ask for the mashed potato that he had ordered even though he told the waiter when his steak was brougt to the table that he had ordered that side dish. I might add among this the food was a very long time in arriving The waiter was very good and agreed that the portion of sea bass was in fact tiny and not fitting as a main course.....the restaurant manager came along and tried to offer us a free mini desert.....now that was met with a very angry Irishman....we wanted a proper potion of food, and i do not think we would have stayed for much longer had that manager not decided that he had better give customer service and do his job ..The mains main courses were then reordered and were very nice which for the price they should have been in the first place
I then told the Manager that although our lobster was lovely there really was only four mouthfuls and as were were feeling rather disgruntled at the mens experience then we were going to jump on the band wagon and express our hungry complaint too, we asked him seeing as that we had ordered half a lobster each then where was our claws but we were told that they do not serve claws....now i dont think that that counts as half a lobster do you ???.. We were then offered a FREE SORBET......oh surely this does not ring true i hear you say . I was not happy and told a a rather deaf manager( because he does not listen to what his customers were saying i said that i was (and my friend too) still hungry and that i would have to go to KFC on our way home unless he did something and that unless he did compensate us with some food i would be straight on to Trip Advisor...after much faffing ...including a near table who also complained about the portion size we girls were offered a starter !! now my husband has been a Hotel manager and what that manager should have done without a shadow of a doubt was not to argue with us but to immediatly say I will bring you more lobster but noooo we got a starter.... we also got the two salads that we had orginaly ordered (free of charge) from there on all went well we were given free deserts and coffee with chocs...... A word to the management....If you want a a customer to come back please give him or her the BEST service possible ...we diners will often overlook a meal that is not tip top and try the restaurant again..... if the service is top notch
we have two birthday in a couple of weeks ....think we may be going back to pebble beach
ps your waiters were very accomodating and the tip we left was meant for them as they really did try !!

1  Thank diamondteena
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The afternoon tea is so civilised and quaint with a layer of finger sandwiches, a layer of 3 cakes and a layer with one fruit and one plain scone with clotted cream and a pot of jam. The way it is served makes you feel special and with a pot of tea or coffee it's super.
The location is lovely with views out onto the river. You never feel rushed and you can wander outside and sit and relax. I have been twice and although £14 per head sounds a lot you could easily share a tea between two. It's all fresh and beautifully presented, I would recommend as a treat for someone special or a small indulgence for yourself, why not.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great location, great view, alas poor service. Without a shadow of a doubt this place looks great and is perfectly set alongside a beautiful riverside location. It's just a shame that the table waiting staff for bar orders are desperately in need of some customer service training. We dropped by for a glass of wine after a lunch at Kings restaurant, the service here is far better, in fact, just superb. If you like a riverside location then this is a great place, if your expecting good table service, you'll be sorely disappointed.

2  Thank Marcus S
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We visited the restaurant on the outside terrace for afternoon tea today. On ordering the drinks I was asked for my credit card this was prior to ordering food. The card was taken from me and placed in a small box and I was handed a key. On asking why the waitress stated that the card would be held in a safe until we had finished our meal and then returned to me.
I was not happy that my credit was going out of my keeping. This has never happened to me before at any time during worldwide travel.

in the company of friends we all agreed that this was not a professional attitude.
My credit card provider states that it should never go out of my sight.

On asking for the bill the waitress picked up my key and took it to get the credit card.
My card was returned to me out of the box and with the bill. SURELY This cannot be right!

My friends and I were made to feel that we were potentially dishonest customers even though we are regular customers there.

management did not help when they confronted us at our table.

On the whole this was a thoroughly uncomfortable visit which I do not wish to repeat.

So beware anyone going to this restaurant, don't take your credit card, I suggest you take cash instead. By the if you don't hand over your credit card you will be asked to pay for drinks or the meal before they are delivered to you.

5  Thank Sue J