“Delicious lunch”

Ranked #32 of 163 Restaurants in Christchurch
Price range: US$8 - US$41
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Alex Aitken from Le Poussin, Limewood and The Jetty, is now in charge of the food and menus at The Kings Restaurant.The Restaurant serves the very best local and seasonal food – with sophisticated simplicity and a unique and charming English setting, overlooking the Kings Arms Bowling Green and historical castle ruins.The Kings Restaurant is honoured to introduce the new 'Josper Grill', a technique that imparts a distinctive charcoal flavour to all the local and handpicked ingredients placed upon its coals. The delicious menu makes use of the very best local ingredients either caught, grown or prepared close to Christchurch from the New Forest and the waters of the South Coast.
Reviewed 30 September 2018

My husband and I visited yesterday for a late lunch and used a voucher for the Market menu. We opted to pay extra for 3 courses, instead of just 2, and we thoroughly enjoyed each one. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the atmosphere was relaxed. Every element of the dishes was really spot on - perfectly-cooked and tasty. We shall return!

Date of visit: September 2018
CharlesWilliamson82, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2018

Thank you for the fantastic review regarding your recent lunch with us dining from our Market Menu. It is great to hear how you enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere.
We look forward to welcoming you back on the next occasion.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

Visited on the evening of Tuesday 11 Sept for a drink in the bar and then a prebooked meal in the restaurant. Although it was happy hour the barman was curt and abrupt. We could'nt wait for our table to be ready. We were seated by a lady with a far better atitude and the quality of service & food was excellent(we all choose from the Market menu) although the portions were not very large. Whilst waiting for the bill i visited the gents where after washing my hands found the hand dryer to be broken and no hand/paper towels. I had been followed in by a member of the kitchen team ( from his attire probaly a Chef ) who had the same problem. I suggested that it should be reported, he replied that he had several times and then dried his hands on his trousers! It's one thing compromising customers health & safety but to those who prepare our food is totally unacceptable.
I returned to the restaurant and discussed what had just happened, i was told the dryer in the ladies had been broken for weeks!
On checking our bill the wine ordered and paid for in the bar had been added to the restaurant bill along with a 10% service charge? Whilst this was being deducted i mentioned the hand dryer and was reassured that it would be reported to the relevent person. I would advise you take hand wipes if dining.

1  Thank ian d
LukeC2515, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2018

Dear ian d,

Thank you for reviewing your recent visit to have drinks and dinner with us. I am sorry to read of your experience in the bar but of course pleased that both the quality of service and food improved for you in the restaurant, I will take note of your comments and be sure to discuss this with the bar manager an their team. I can report that the hand dryer that was not working is now fully functioning, I apologise for the inconvenience this caused during your visit, but do hope that we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

Stopped here for cocktails with friends on a Saturday early evening. The bar is really impressive with lots of tempting gins to try. We were in late afternoon and was still busy with a good vibe and I expect its really good later in the day. Bar staff were friendly and knowledgeable. I have not eaten here as we like to eat at Alex Aitkens the Jetty in nearby Mudeford, I saw Alex in the bar so assume its his place therefore the food should be good.

Date of visit: August 2018

Dear wherediditallgowrong

Thank you for posting your nice comments having popped in for some cocktails at the weekend. Alex Aitkin does indeed oversee the food operation here as well as at The Jetty restaurants in Mudeford and Southampton so you will have to come and dine with us next time you are here.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

My partner and I had previously had a bad experience here but as we were out with friends we decided to give it another go.

We came here on a Friday evening and got a last minute table as Koh Noi was full. The member of staff who greeted us was friendly and accommodating so, no complaints there.

Our waitress was unfriendly and gave off a ‘can’t be bothered’ vibe, she was also scruffy in appearance.

We ordered the artisan breads to have while we waited for starters and were served 4 tiny slices of bread (nothing artisan about it) between 2 people with enough butter to spread on 2 slices. We had to politely request some more, which we were given.

The starters were very average, small and dressed up with salad garnish.

Main courses - I ordered the chicken, prawns, egg fried rice and lobster sauce. My chicken skin was burnt and tasted bitter, the rice tasted like plain rice and the sauce was not enough to even cover my rice so I ended up eating dry, over cooked chicken with plain rice. The prawns were okay but the whole dish was extremely bland.

I tasted my friend’s Sri Lankan curry, also bland and lacking in flavour. Also served was an under whelming burger and a steak that was just okay.

Service was slow and our waitress rolled her eyes when my partner asked for another drink after she had cleared our table. Disgusting service.

There are many better options in Christchurch, having booked ahead we would not have come and and we will not be returning.

Dear dreamer262017

I am so sorry to read of the experience you have had with us when recently dining with friends. This experience is my no means what we aim to offer both in terms of the food and service received. I would welcome the opportunity to discus and resolve this with you personally so would ask that you contact me with my details below.

Kind regards
luke.comerford@harbourhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 10 September 2018

Yet another return visit, we started our visit with a trip to the bar for a drink, we were brought menus and chose our meal before we were taken to the restaurant. As usual the meal was very good, my soufflé was sooo hot and my husbands pate was very smooth and went wonderfully with the sour dough bread. He had the beef and I had the pork roasts. They could have been a bit hotter, but were still very edible and good quality. Puds were also very good. A nice bottle of merlot rounded the evening off well. Great friendly service from all the girls. Some people have said the music is too loud and although we enjoyed the music we could understand how some would say that

Date of visit: September 2018
LukeC2515, General Manager at The Kings Arms Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Dear Denise C

It is great to read you and your husband enjoyed another lovely visit to us at the weekend. Thank you for your kind comments about the staff, I will be sure to share this with them. We hope to see you again soon.