“Left feeling disappointed”
Review of Heronshaw House

Heronshaw House
Ranked #17 of 32 Christchurch B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My husband and myself took his parents to Bournemouth as we had bought them tickets to see James Last. We spent quite a while on the internet searching for a hotel to stay at. My husband chose a few but I 'overuled' his choices as I felt that Heronshaw House looked more their 'cup of tea'. How disappointed I was then when we arrived to be told (after we had parked the car and removed all our baggage) that the kitchen was closed as the chef was 'incapacitated'. The host was a very welcoming man and kindly offered to book us a table at a local pub. This was very disappointing as we were looking forward to the gourmet food and also meant that on a very rare weekend away, one of us would be unable to have a couple of drinks due to having to drive to the said pub. We found the hotel and it's surroundings very picturesque though, agree with other's reviews in that we had no tv and no tea and coffee making facilities. The shower and facilities were nice though not spotless! Water also flooded our bathroom floor and the blind was not quite big enough to cover the whole window. The host welcomed us back from our meal out and served drinks but then said he was going to bed, leaving us to turn the lights off etc, this didn't really bother us but it did dawn on us later that we hadn't a clue as to how to get hold of him should we need him for anything and as I recall, there was no phone in the room either - furthermore, despite searching, we couldn't see any sign on the bedroom (back of the door usually) showing you the fire exits etc. Breakfast was lovely, homemade muesli, fresh fruit, yoghurt, fruit juice and a very tasty fry up. All in all, it wasn't a disaster but I do have to say, I felt ever so slightly miffed that we had paid quite a high price for very average accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank alfiebas

Reviewed 20 August 2013

I have given this hosterly an "average" based on my single night experience some of which was very good and other parts not so good.
I was warmly welcomed by the proprietor, however was greeted with reference to travelling up the road for dinner. I had looked at the website and find it quite misleading as 5 of the 7 pictures at the top are of food. Bearing in mind it is in the middle of the countryside, I would have expected to have the option of something to eat if I had given the opportunity of ordering in advance. Perhaps a notification on the website that it is strictly a bed and breakfast would be a good idea.

My bedroom was lovely, with a double shower and king size bed. I found the tea and coffee making tray, however the milk was missing and I didnt discover this until bedtime so it was too late to ask for any. The kettle was situated on one of the bedside tables and I thought this was a little dangerous. The bathroom had a lovely double walk in shower, however the neighbouring rooms bathroom was obviously cojoined (with a wall separating), as I could hear everything my neighbour was doing in the bathroom. Breakfast was lovely - homemade granola, fresh fruit and yoghurt etc, followed by a lovely full english breakfast. I didnt see any toast though there was butter on the table.
We had a nice walk up the lane after we arrived, that is unfortunately spoiled by some fly tipping.
I paid £105 for one night's stay which I think is a tad on the expensive side when little things like milk and toast were overlooked.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Melanie B
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed overnight at Heronshaw House, it's very peaceful and tranquil. There are no televisions in the rooms and no white toast at breakfast!! The owners are very friendly and avid dog lovers (they have four). Bit expensive for what it is we thought.

Room Tip: All the rooms would be very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank suzannelouis_12
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a nights stay with our two dogs at the weekend and had a front facing double room en suite. It is beautifully situated on a country lane facing countryside and the small holding of pigs and a few chickens. I advised the owner that we would be arriving around 9pm and we were warmly welcomed into his home. The room was large with a good sized bed and very comfortable. The bathroom had been equipped with large shower and the sash windows gave a great view and kept the room cool considering it was a hot night. We were informed that there was a tv room and our room had tea/coffee making facilities. Plenty of soft towels and shower gel/shampoo. Perhaps it was time to replace the carpet and curtains but otherwise the room was faultless.

The breakfast served by a very friendly lady (I assume the owner) was one of the best I have had with homemade healthy cereal,yoghurt,fruit followed by bacon, sausage and eggs from their animals and followed by tea/earl grey or coffee. I bought some eggs to take home and have not been disappointed.

We had a lovely walk up the lane with the dogs before leaving. I have read the reviews and thought that the price we paid of £95 for 2 plus 2 dogs was reasonable for the area. I would stay there again at that price as I thought the home and its owners thoroughly charming.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura W
Reviewed 9 July 2013

On arrival the owner seemed lovely, I was disappointed to find the restaurant was closed (didn't say on website) as its in the middle of nowhere this was a problem. I booked a "luxury" single room. Well it certainly wasn't that. It had a dirty bathroom, smelt of wet dogs and had tired furniture with marks up the wall. Not even a tv in the room. Luxury?! I couldn't stay there for more than 5 minutes and the owner- once told about the issues, refused to give a refund. Even put the phone down on me when I left to find a different hotel. Now there is customer service. Such a shame as its a beautiful location.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Salese
Heronshaw, Owner at Heronshaw House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

This person did not stay after checking in because we were unable offer her dinner in the restaurant that evening. She wanted to eat in but did not make any comment about when first informed. Neither did she pass any adverse remark when shown her room or, when she left leaving a note in the door only without informing anybody, and found by chance. She then telephoned a number of times with increasing belligerence and increasing finding of fault when told that no refund would be given.

Not a nice person who has taken 3 months to ferment and build up courage to write a gleeful review!

We have asked Trip Advisor to remove the review.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I am another guest that thought this was overpriced at £70 for a night in a room that was less than average in terms of furnitures and fittings. Small single room with no tv, no tea and coffee facilities although mine host very kindly made me a cup of tea on arrival.. But the hosts were charming, the house lovely and the surroundings really peaceful. If as they said, tea and coffee was not possible in the room because guests had a tendency to spill things on the carpets, then perhaps have a kitchen area with appropriate flooring where guests could help themselves. The power shower was nice but I didnt like hearing the thundering of someone elses through my bedroom wall at around 11.30pm and again early in the morning. Had also expected restaurant (gourmet) to be open for dinner but was told on arrival that this was not available. Expect more comfort than this when staying away so sadly will not be booking again.

Room Tip: It may be that a twin or double are of better quality.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Came by this dog friendly b&b and booked for one night. For £130 a night per couple per room I was expecting something outstanding but am sad to say I thought it vastly overpriced. Lovely house and has the potential to be amazing but the carpets were tired and dirty, no tv in the rooms (although there was a communal tv room) and no tea/coffee/biscuits on offer in the rooms. Apparently we had to ask for it if we wanted it but I personally feel like I don't have to ask. Maybe they should leave it out to have in the communal rooms instead... Anyway. Bed was v comfy and I did sleep well. Breakfast was good but only 1 egg, 1 sausage & 1 rasher of bacon... Good cold buffet of fruit, yoghurt & granola. Nice but not worth the money. Have stayed in places for £70 - £80 that have offered a better overall experience.

• Stayed: June 2013