“Fab Beachside restaurant”

Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood, Cafe
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The restaurant at Avon Beach - now known as the Noisy Lobster - offers breakfast, lunch, light bites and dinner where patrons can enjoy one of the best views in the area.At the Avon Beach resort we also offer beach huts, an ice-cream parlour, seaside shop and takeaway cabin with a decking area to enjoy a great day at the beach.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I ate here four times during my long weekend in Mudeford and had great food each time. The breakfast menu is varied and reasonable with good coffee. Lunch and dinner there are lots of options available, including meat and vegetarian choices for those not so keen on fish (which isn't easy to find in seaside restaurants!). There are lovely wines to suit all the foods, and also a good value childrens menu.
This is essentially a beach cafe, with friendly young staff and a chilled out vibe, but you know they are serious about their food, exactly what I want on my holiday, I will definitely be back.

98StephenH, Manager at The Noisy Lobster at Avon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2014

Dear AmyBeadle78,

Thank you so much for your positive review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your meals with us and hope you return very soon!

Regards,
Stephanie West

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We're regular visitors to the area throughout the year and one of the things we look forward to most is the first morning when we toddle down the beach for breakfast with our little dog. I went there early on Aug 3rd for breakfast and to do some work. Plenty of tables spare and my favourite pancakes were available so all good. My wife joined me later, only to find that on arrival, dogs are barred from all areas of the restaurant and can't even be tied up outside. So that's a big negative mark for a start. I'll come back to it.
The location is great, it's right on the beach, they've done a huge amount of work extending it over the time I've known it and generally the food is pretty good- we've done a New Year there and it's not cheap but you wouldn't moan about the quality. I notice someone talking below about the lack of sumptuous surroundings- it's a beach cafe, it's not The Ritz. Anyway, the staff are all youngsters and local, generally friendly and helpful and by mid-morning the place is full inside and out with a nice mix of (older) locals and families on holiday so there's a nice buzz about the place. The weather was hot so outside is full as well. So, for all those points, it scores reasonably well.
What I can't fathom is the decision over dogs in the, basically, conservatory extension. Anyone who has been to Christchurch knows it's full of dogs and, to a large extent, the more mature generation. It had a nice community feel to it. I see the manager has said there'll be a "winterised" outside bit where dog walkers can sit with their pets and catch hypothermia while no doubt gazing longingly at their neighbours who are sitting inside.
There's no law against dogs in restaurants so good old 'elf & Safety "helping" with the decision smacks to me as though a decision was already made. Poor choice. In off-season the place is much quieter, at least allow dogs and their owners to enjoy the place while the summer rush is gone. My wife is still down there today and has already decided she'll be going for breakfast at the next cafe along the front. Please change your decision.

2  Thank mpr73
98StephenH, Owner at The Noisy Lobster at Avon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear MPR73

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are glad that you enjoy our food and restaurant. With regards to our dog policy, we do allow customers with dogs to use the terrace. Also there are metal hoops that can be used in front of the building to tie dogs up. We do not allow dogs inside the restaurant as we believe the majority of our diners do not enjoy eating next to them.

We do hope to see you again soon

Peter

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

What a change....gone are our daily coffees and choice of cakes. Wonder if it will survive winter with existing menu and inflated prices.

1  Thank chris r
98StephenH, Manager at The Noisy Lobster at Avon Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Chris R

I do not think this is a review for our restaurant. As we serve a selection of hot drinks and cakes available throughout the day, all competitively priced

Regards

Reviewed 2 August 2014

My partners mother booked a table and paid a £50 deposit in the conservatory for a party of 13, 5 weeks in advance for a big birthday celebration only to be told on arrival that it was no longer available, disappointing to say the least. However the response from the restaurant management was probably the worst kind of customer service you could experience. Beware! They take your money promise the best and then say they cannot guarantee where to be seated, very difficult to make alternative arrangements at short notice, however we did and the Ship in distress were very accommodating at short notice and their lobster was fabulous! It's just up the road.

5  Thank Skitripper99

Dear Skitripper99

At the Noisy Lobster we make a point of not guaranteeing tables with a sea view. We do however try to accommodate as many booking requests as possible. Upon arriving to our restaurant we showed you to your reserved table in the newly refurbished area of our restaurant and apologised that it was not next to a window. As you were dismayed we offered you a bottle of champagne as a way of an apology. However you refused and were physically and verbally abusive to our young female restaurant manager to the shock of other diners. We do not tolerate anyone swearing and manhandling our staff and so asked you to leave.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Inside and out, in the café, terrace or the restaurant, the seating is the same. Sadly this means that you are not eating in more sumptuous surroundings. Overpriced for what you get. Half a lobster is £24 advertised with lobster, scallops and squid plus salad and chips. At £15 it's a "special" Just lobster, some chips and salad. Not really a deal is it? Thursday is live music night. The player sits at the far end of the café section and you can barely hear them. Meanwhile the piped MUSAK is still on in the restaurant section and you get a stereo confusion of sounds. Having said this, the staff are quite good although I feel lads wearing shorts is not appropriate dress for a restaurant. But, as I've said, it all looks just like a caff wherever you sit.
Very second-rate and I won't be going back even though I live quite close.

1  Thank Clive V

Dear Clive V,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We do not pretend to be a decadent fine dining restaurant. We do however offer a fantastic location in comfortable surroundings to enjoy our food and service. I am not sure if i understand your point regarding the pricing of our dishes. Yes we offer a Seafood Platter consisting of half a lobster, scallops, calamari and Chips for £24 and another dish being half a lobster salad and chips for £15. Both we believe to be great value for money.
I take on board your point regarding the music and this shall be addressed.
We have allowed our staff to wear shorts in the extreme heat we have been experiencing lately.
We do hope to see you soon.